Home | About | Donate

From Emergency to Emergence

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/04/27/emergency-emergence

3 Likes

Let’s begin with nuclear disarmament. Peace.

(The Peace sign is formed by overlaying the semaphore flag symbols for “N” and “D” and encapsulating them in a circle.)

3 Likes

Hint. Bernie Sanders for president

2 Likes

I’m also reminded that the Earth herself is a living Bible of “Sacred Geometry”. She is source of the metrics, functions and models in the sciences. Most of the technology we take for granted are only fragments of ancient knowledge.

The Hidden Energy Science of Sacred Geometry

~https://vesica.org/the-hidden-energy-science-of-sacred-geometry/

Yes, DonMIdwest, Bernie could have been the answer. That’s why I despair of the transformations that the author thinks are coming, at least in the U.S. Voters in the U.S. had the chance to choose a candidate that stood for most of the things this article proposes and they declined to do so, even in a pandemic. In essence, they chose paper masks over universal healthcare.

1 Like

It’s sad that only four people in two months found anything worth commenting on in David Korten’s brief essay. Perhaps it was TOO brief to convey his profound insights. (I have long since given up on expecting people on CD to direct any more than ten percent of their comments to the article itself.)

He is one of the greater humane visionaries of our time. Among his many accomplishments, he founded the Positive Futures Network, which publishes YES! Magazine. Before that he had an experience with US aid programs (including USAID) similar to that of John Perkins, author of I Was an Economic Hit Man (about Perkins’ experiences as a bill collector for the IMF) which led to the publication of Korten’s best known book, When Corporations Rule the World, now in its third edition (first edition, 1995). He was a founding member of BALLE (Business Alliance for Local Living Economies), and a member of the Club of Rome, which published The Limits to Growth in 1972, which contrary to some allegations contributed significantly to the modern ecology movement that began only a decade earlier with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and also was probably the first modern book to warn of those Limits.

I’ve seen that website before, and now have it bookmarked. I also have a small primer on two dimensional Sacred Geometry from the Wooden Books series. The website claims a little more than is actually there (there is no single answer to all questions), but the concepts are important if only as evidence of the breadth and depth of pre-Hellenic science and math. (They are important for other reasons as well.) I recently purchased a copy of Manly P. Hall’s massive tome, The Secret Teachings of all Ages, after meeting the man (married to my wife’s cousin) who is being groomed to lead the Philosophical Research Society that Hall founded in 1934.

You might be interested in a book titled A People’s History of Science: Miners, midwives, and “Low Mechanicks”, by Clifford Conner. It’s pretty weighty, but well researched and very informative, even to me. I know most of the outlines, but Conner has teased out myriad details that boggle my mind. His newest book, The Tragedy of American Science: From Truman to Trump, is supposed to publish on July 28.