Home | About | Donate

From Epic Fires to a 1,000-Year Flood: The Climate Change of Here and Now

From Epic Fires to a 1,000-Year Flood: The Climate Change of Here and Now

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

From deadly floods in Louisiana to an "explosive" wildfire in California, the impacts of the climate change are being felt across the United States this week.

Neither extreme weather event can be exclusively blamed on global warming. But record-breaking heat, warmer oceans, and drier brush—all linked to man-made climate change—are certainly contributing factors.

The worst senator in the US senate is
James (Jim) Inhofe of Oklahoma.
This cretin who is owned lock, stock and a smoking gun by the fossil fuel industry has single-handedly given cover to every climate denier out there.
This creature has no shame whatsoever.

What must it be like to have a new born baby in your arms and look out the window at a line of fire as far as the eye can see beneath a looming wall of smoke and ash that blots out the future! What will be the future as the infant grows up and enters the world as an adult?

What world will they see in twenty years? The deniers smirk as they pocket their profits and bribes while knowing the truth. Just one more golden egg from the Golden Goose they keep saying. Just one more pipeline, just one more deep water drill, just one more fracking well!

They will never say enough is enough and worse they will probably start saying that it is too late to do anything about climate change already anyway. They plan to say that eventually. They'll say whtaever it takes to be able to squeeze out one more golden egg before the goose dies.

For anyone who doesn't think climate change is here I would suggest visiting Alaska or Greenland. They should check out the thawing permafrost and receding glaciers. Or they can now even book a cruise through the northwest passage. Or if they don't like cold weather they can visit Miami Beach at high tide and wade through flooded streets.

Please use his full name: Sen. James Snowball Inhofe, M.E.*
*Motherfucker Extraordinaire

Are we scared yet? Scared enough to demand an end to fossil fuels and nukes? Like Jill said last night on a one hour CNN townhall - FINALLY! - paraphrasing "If we can just get to a big enough microphone and have the conversation!"

We are in mortal danger. Remember "Snowball" only works for the gangsters in charge. But we know that. What we don't know, is how dangerous it can get.

Twenty years -- what will we see next year, right after whichever clueless egomaniac gets sworn in as. POTUS?

More and more symptomatic outcomes of global warming are appearing every day, but not enough to alarm the disbelievers or get people ready to willingly participate in a World War II style mass mobilization.

But there are so many climate changers poised right at the edge of tipping points. Many of them are interconnected so that if one goes over the edge, many others could quickly follow.

How bad can it get and how soon? We may have a number of years until worldwide living conditions become refugee camps with nobody left anywhere to come to the rescue. Or it may get there any minute. No way to know.

We've already crossed too many tipping points. We are already baked into a minimum of 3C to 4C rise in global temperatures, given all of the industrial carbon that's been belched into the atmosphere. I truly believe that all children born today will not live to see their 50th birthdays. We still need to do all possible to stop emissions, but the Powers that be will not allow that to happen. We're all going down on a sinking ship that is circling the drain. We're just climbing to higher decks above the water line with no place to ultimately go. We are done and probably by mid century.

The fossil fuel industry receives a lot of criticism these days, and rightfully so. But in the final analysis, we are the ones who support the energy industry and it is our standard of living that will need to change. So contemplate what you can do for the cause

Personal Actions
End our love affair with the automobile
Ride more trains and buses
Car pool
Walk and bike more
Turn off the air conditioner in the summer and dial the thermostat down in winter
Become vegetarians or vegans
Refill plastic bottles with tap water
Discontinue using aluminum cans with and without carbonation
Maximize use of reusable bags and products
Recycle junk mail
Forego fast junk food
Go to “slow food”;
Recycle maximally, especially aluminum cans
Drive and accelerate more slowly
Climb more stairs
Plant more trees
Forego use of spray cans
Repair, mend and alter as much as possible
Buy solar panels
Compost as much as possible
Last person out of the room turn off the lights
Eat and farm organic
Fly fewer planes
Promote conference calls and web cams, fewer meetings
Use manual tools instead of power tools
Share more
Use rakes rather than leaf blowers
Decrease use of bottled water and refill plastic bottles with tap water
Maximize reusable bags and products
Push rather than power small mowers
Replace lawns with vegetable gardens
Stop fertilizing and mowing lawns
Compost as much as possible
Minimize use of disposables (Pampers, Ikea furniture);
Maximize high efficiency LED and solar powered lighting;
Limit endless gadgets
Use motion lighting, where appropriate

Local Government Actions
Reorganize cities, building taller residences with a smaller footprint (the end of suburbia)
Institute a carbon tax
Promote car pooling subsidize and expand mass transit
Expand bike paths
Have shareable (zip) cars
Ban electric outdoor signs;
Eat and farm organic
Eliminate approximately 50% of all street lighting and office lighting in unoccupied buildings
eliminate “fast junk food”; go to “slow food
replace

Federal Government Actions
Ban gasohol
Rein in the militaries for defense only and outlaw war
Discontinue night baseball
Shift from long distance truck to rail transport
Make electronics, house wares, furniture, etc to be as durable and long-lived as possible
Recycle maximally
Make appliances to be as energy efficient as possible
Discontinue aluminum cans
Ban electric outdoor signs
Maximize solar and wind power;
Change from petroleum based fertilizers to regenerative agriculture
Reverse deforestation, plant more trees
Restrict spray cans
Promote zero population growth with free condoms and family planning world-wide
End yearly auto model changes;
Promote subsidies for renewable energy
Diminish junk mail

And don't forget to add "stop idling your car" to the list. It drives me crazy when I see people sitting in their cars in front of the grocery store or post office or wherever... waiting for someone with the engine running. "Shut the damn thing off!" is what I want to say. But I don't. Your list is excellent, but I still thing it's too late. In the meantime, while Rome burns... yes... do as much as you can to limit our wreckage.

New Rule:

All rulers and Congressmen must be younger than 35 and have young children that they care about.

Of course that's not going to work because the One Percent are under the delusion that they can live in underground bunkers without exchanging air with the outside. Even boomer nuke subs have to come up every few years to refuel... That's when the ionizing radiation from 400 abandoned nuke plants is going to get them.... And just ask the 400 sick and dying crew members of the USS Ronald Regan how fun parking downwind of a Fukushima triple meltdown is.

Dear One Percent: You can't live underground or in space. That's science fiction. Radiation is why we never went to Mars. This lifeboat Earth is all we have. It's Van Allen Belts and 102,000 feet of air protect us from lethal levels of radiation.

Mine shafts are hot, and full of Radon gas (rads, rads, rads). Your underground cities may work for a while, but leaks always happen. And the underground network in D.C. is ripe for flooding.

Good Luck with the gopher/Dr. Evil space plan!

Maybe Trump University will sell tickets to the Moon! Of course if you actually survive the voyage, Trump University makes no guarantee of lunar dorm availability once you get there....

Ahem,

With 10,000 new babies born every day, What's the point? Each one wants to live in wooden houses, drive cars, consume and have more babies. We won't survive the increase to 10 billion shutting off engines. Do the math. We need a global one-child policy. It's the only humane thing to do for the survivors.

Of course Dr. Doom says it's already too late:

My yard sign reads: No one will blame you for global warming, except your children. Frankly, I don't think most of the people in my neighborhood give a damn about climate change. They live for the here and now to satisfy their selfish needs.

You're absolutely, correct Thomas_Jefferson. My point of shutting off idling cars is just a drop in the vast global bucket. The root of the problem is our population overshoot (which was observed on August 8th this year.... almost a week earlier than last year). Our unsustainable population grown is what is raping this planet of all it's resources. I believe we're going to see a massive population correction within ten years or so.

Who cares about nonlinear, near term human extinction causing Climate Change? "Dancing with the Stars" is on T.V. and I don't want to be interrupted! Yes... Rome is burning........

You have to wonder, what her really thinks now... but would never admit to.... but then again... convoluted thinking is usually not curable.

... it looks like I am going to get to know what that feeling is like.... Even though I discussed... MANY THINGS, with my oldest daughter... about this world... and about keeping her INDEPENDENCE.... now, at 19, turning 20 in Nov... she is going to have a baby... Can't believe it... she NEVER.... talked as if she was going to go in that direction... Honor Society... grad with a 2 yr degree in Criminal Justice...accepted into a private college... but, she couldn't get enough money to go.... and we, her parents do not have it.... so, what is she doing with her boyfriend?.... Having a baby.... I have come to terms with this after discussing it with her... I don't want to loose her so.... I had to do this just once... asking her, getting her to think about it.... but.. well, then I had to embrace it... that's her "choice"... so... here goes. She knows what I think of how the world will be... but, she doesn't fully understand... she is too young... she is also VERY STUBBORN... so, maybe that will help...
oh, she says she is going to finish her B.A. on line...

The methane burb will not be televised...

If that mobilization, also includes ceasing activities that are NOT constructive and productive for everyday living.... like ... stop frivolous and wasteful, mass entertainment such as professional sports, in which there is and extreme amount of energy wasted and co2 produced... along with stupid indoor ski and beaches..... that is just ridiculous... and I do not care WHAT kind of energy you use for them.... IF we are going to mobilize and do renewable... then it should be for life sustaining necessities... like running hospitals ... schools... etc... nobody is saying people can't play foot ball... but let's go out to the park or back yard, school grounds and do so... stop with the 1, 000 private jets and all the other means of waste to do mass professional sports... and the RICH need to have limits imposed... So, I am listening to NPR yesterday and the discussion was put out about putting a carbon tax on every child born to a couple... okay, but .... do the kids of lower middle class produce the same carbon foot print as say, Paris Hilton... or the Kardasians (or how ever you spell their name..?).... Really?... I say that carbon tax is done in relation to the co2 print of the parents... and whether you buy a Prius or have a 10 year old car isn't the only thing used to caluculate that footprint... how about... all the expensive make up the mother uses... when the other mother really doesn't buy hardly ANY AT ALL... or trips to the hair dresser and the other mother just doesnt' go... hardly any hair products... how about the multiple trips the dad makes to the golf course which gets sprinkled with fertilizers made from fossil fuels...etc... and the father;s small yahcht that he runs around Margaret's Vineyard. How about the two, well, three homes the rich people have... or 5 homes... how about multiple business trips the dad makes ... how about the 4 vacations they took last year.... two in the U.S one to Spain and the other to Africa.???? So, Really... are we REALLY GOING TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE.... I DON'T THINK SO.... you can mobilize ... you can dream... but, swithching out is not going to make much difference.... Maybe if we had done so.... 30 years ago... an abrupt switch out... we would have made a difference... but .. now?... If you include the methane already released along with the co 2 of 4009 ppm... right now?.... we are already on the road to runaway climate change...