Home | About | Donate

From Guatemala to Moscow to Washington, Neoliberalism and Privatization Driving Our Crises

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/06/06/guatemala-moscow-washington-neoliberalism-and-privatization-driving-our-crises

To show how the Media works this a telling interview with Tulsi Gabbard. Watch as George Stephanopolous tries to manipulate Ms Gabbard into agreeing with his narrative. The comments of the person posting the video are enlightening.

Ms Gabbard is too intelligent to take the bait and George rather frustrated at the end.

The second lake another take on this. The media is a major player in driving this crisis.

1 Like

Abraham Lincoln Quote About Capitalism and Corruption-Authorship Confirmed!

Summary of eRumor:
A quote from Abraham Lincoln in which he warns about corporations being “enthroned” as a result of war and triggering an “era of corruption in high places” to follow has been making the rounds for years.
The Truth:
Abraham Lincoln made this cryptic quote about capitalism in America after the war, and the corruption that would result from it, in a letter sent in 1864.
The quote can be found on page 954 of the second volume of “Abraham Lincoln: A New Portrait,” a Lincoln biography written in 1931 by Emanuel Hertz. The quote appears in a letter from Abraham Lincoln to Col. William F. Elkins dated November 21, 1864:

“We may congratulate ourselves that this cruel war is nearing its end. It has cost a vast amount of treasure and blood… It has indeed been a trying hour for the Republic; but I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of the war, corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war. God grant that my suspicions may prove groundless.”

2 Likes

In a letter to Lincoln, Marx said European workers “consider it an earnest of the epoch to come that it fell to the lot of Abraham Lincoln, the single-minded son of the working class, to lead his country through the matchless struggle for the rescue of an enchained race and the reconstruction of a social world.” Sadly the confederates struck him down before reconstruction.

1 Like

I am old enough that I remember that Raygun took US on this “privatization” path. A path that has US divided as people, a path that has the rich and corporate looting our public treasury, a path that has bought the very politicians out from under our collective noses! This was Raygun’s wet dream - to further entrench the plutocrats and have them lord it over US all!
The dumbing down of Americans has been raging full force for decades now and has led US to this place where WE are being presided over by a grifting clown-show - all against the back drop of these forever wars!
Neoliberalism is a failure for US and WE the PEOPLE need to wake up and recognize that fact. WE must come together to beat these barbarians back behind the gates where they belong and forge an economy that works FOR the 99%!

WE must fight to retain our democratic republic, because the plutocrats are certainly fighting to take it from US!

1 Like

Neoliberalism. Is that just another euphemism for Fascism? Just like "neo-consevative? Fascism I define as the collusion of government with corporations for their mutual benefit and to the greater detriment of the mass of citizens. Yep, it can arise from the left or right. Fascism always has one core characteristic – the VIOLENT imposition of will upon another. Hitler did as he liked while always claiming it was “for the greater good.” You can see this all the time on both the left and right if you will just set aside the fluffy, justifying propaganda. Mandatory (government) vaccinations, government mandated indoctrination , er, “education,” military enslavement, jury enslavement. Whatever it is, VIOLENCE is the common key. It is an affliction of our times that all too often neither so-called “liberals” or so-called “conservatives” seem capable of seeing the violent Fascism they espouse.
Sigh. But being able to see Fascism for what it is, is a start. Gopherit

So not one topic on tariffs ??? Is it because people on the left have pushed for protectionism----its to bad in this CORPORATE MILITARY POLICE STATE we will never hear a real discussion about what Trump is doing. I don’t quite understand how you impose tariffs (ten days notice) when you have a free trade policy in place. Why would any nation want to deal with the US at this point ??? A new administration comes in and tears everything up----Trump is a total bully -----and just maybe he is the real reflection of the AMERICAN PEOPLE!