Home | About | Donate

From Me to We. My New Year’s Resolution

From Me to We. My New Year’s Resolution

David Korten

It’s not likely that many of us will mourn the passing of 2018. It’s been a deeply troubled year defined by wildfires, floods, earthquakes, water shortages, financial chaos, political gridlock, flows of displaced persons, growth in the gap between rich and poor, the rise of dictatorial leaders, and a dire consensus warning from scientists on the impact of climate change.

The Renaissance is often pointed to as being that turning point in History where the course of humankind launched in a new direction, setting aside superstition for rational thinking. In many ways this true but it also that point in history where the I gained prominence over the we

Just as Science tried to break down all of existence into smaller enitities as they began to examine structures at the level of the cell, the molecule and the atom , society at large began to break down as the i and ego emphasized over the community. Holistic thinking has been set aside for atomized thinking wherein that old adage of “Not seeing the forest for the trees” applies.

Yes, we should stop making movies like “Zero Dark Thirty,” that are made up and made to seem as if killing is heroic. This attitude seems to infect police departments with that hubris too.
Maybe Super Heroes are so popular now, because so many people have given up on actual people as opposed to those with super powers. Maybe the problem is that money is valued over Nature and Humanity. Maybe if Congress only met for 1 week out of every month in D. C. and had to stay in dorms—maybe then, they would be around more of the people who elected them and listening to them , instead of listening to the D. C. lobbyists and the military. sigh—so many MAYBES----and the planet can’t wait.

Dump super heros AND military heros post haste or the trend toward neofeudalism will accelerate.

“It is our suffering that brings us together. It is not love. Love does not obey the mind, and turns to hate when forced. The bond that binds us is beyond choice. We are brothers. We are brothers in what we share. In pain, which each of us must suffer alone, in hunger, in poverty, in hope, we know our brotherhood. We know it, because we have had to learn it. We know that there is no help for us but from one another, that no hand will save us if we do not reach out our hand. And the hand that you reach out is empty, as mine is. You have nothing. You possess nothing. You own nothing. You are free. All you have is what you are, and what you give.”
― Ursula K. Le Guin, [The Dispossessed]

So very true. My neighbors complain about the moles in their yard and then criticize me for piling branches and such on the south side of my house for quality snake habitat. (The snakes are not venomous, BTW.)

Thank you, David Korten, for the profound influence your writings have had on my understanding of how the world actually functions. I quote you widely to others, from years ago: “In the 1980s, capitalism triumphed over communism. In the 1990s, capitalism triumphed over democracy.”

I think I know why neither you nor your forward thinking ideas exist to mainstream capitalist economists like Paul Krugman, or the Media. They expose that the mainstream is engaged in propping up a fantasy based on self-serving imaginary thinking. All at the service of the “cloud-minders”. When you hear phrases like “the invisible hand”, and “the magic of the marketplace” used as if these are accepted realities, you discover that the system is based on smoke and mirrors.

We all look forward to the time when patriarchy becomes a distant memory. Distant, but with it’s lessons never forgotten.

Thanks David ahead of the curve as always .All races and species are evolving.-the purpose of observing what serves us ,and making behavioral adaptions-seems to keep moving in one direction,and away from another It keeps moving towards unity (We),and away from separation.
Not surprising ,since unity is the ultimate truth,and evolution is just another word for movement toward truth.

We Are All One
Humanity’s Team …ours is not a better way merely another way .