Home | About | Donate

From Mowing the Grass to Cutting the Flesh

From Mowing the Grass to Cutting the Flesh

Rebecca Gordon

I’ll never forget the first time I saw my own menstrual period start. I was seated on the floor in a circle of women, legs bent in front of me, soles facing each other, a mirror resting on my feet. The flashlight directed at the mirror illuminated my vagina, which was held open by a plastic speculum. There, at the end, sat a little pink mushroom, my very own cervix. A single drop of ruby-colored blood emerged from its center.

It was just like in the Berkeley Women’s Music Collective song “The Bloods”:

2 Likes

I, and probably almost every other informed person reading the title of this article is thinking that it is going to be about Israel’s Gaza war crimes and the recent UN report. (Their “euphemism” for bombing and gunning down and starving Gazans is “cutting the grass”)

2 Likes

A metaphorically malevolent “grabbing by the pussy”

1 Like

HI men and LOL. So------what if a lady told YOU to shave? The thing is—that if you want a really bare playing field—and one for each person—that’s just silly, and ultimately painful! : )
Example: put your palms together—and then rub them up and down and up and down… and LOL—heated up skin is not all that pleasant. There’s a reason all that hair is there. But geez, those plastic surgeons will make up all kinds of insanity just to make money. : 0 Very often, NATURE knows best : )

2 Likes

Amazing to think back on how much conflict was generated by advertising constantly pumping away at fetishization in order to twist ideations of the body to extract labor value for things unneeded. Add to that the instances of feeling at loss to explain why medicine had only a male model as basis for (mis) understanding of so much of natural function.
Amazing to think how little of that has changed and in fact intensified.

2 Likes

That was my first impression.