Home | About | Donate

From Populism to Nationalism: The Highs and Lows of Democrats' Big Finale

From Populism to Nationalism: The Highs and Lows of Democrats' Big Finale

Nika Knight & Deirdre Fulton, staff writers

The final night of the Democratic National Convention (DNC) saw highs, lows, and abundant examples of party propagandizing. Here are some takeaways from Night Four:

'Our enemies will fear us'

Retired four-star Gen. John Allen was flanked by military officials as he offered one of most neoconservative speeches of the evening, promising "our enemies" that "we will pursue you as only Americans can."

Now that "right-to-work" is considered liberal, any political absurdity is possible, including nationalistic jingoism as the boundary of permissible liberalism.

Based on the specifics of her very talented speech last night. >>>

If Hillary weren't Hillary then progressives would vote for Hillary!

"The sooner the youth of America and the residual Left realize that there is no hope for a better, or even livable, future through establishment politics the sooner we can get to the task at hand: a (real) political revolution."

Amen to that!

The question nobody is asking Mr. Khan is "would your son be alive today if Clinton had not voted to invade Iraq and not held strong on her decision to do so until she found herself in a heated primary against Obama in 2008 ????

Hillary is the most conservative president we've watched since Bush. It's hard not to see that she is more intent about foreign policy than domestic issues. She can't wait to sit in the oval office and direct the carnage her and the generals have put together. She scares the bejesus out of me.
Jill Stein 2016

Question for the brilliant minds here:

Can a country founded on genocide and one that still promotes genocide (and biocide) ever be healed? Given what we are witnessing today with the DNC/Clinton and RNC/Trump and all those that are cheering them on---- I think not.

And thoughts on Margot Kidder's piece in CP?

THE most important issue is the environment, or Gaia.

Tweet from Bill Mckibben

Good God. As Siberian permafrost thaws, old anthrax bacteria coming to life. 1,500 reindeer dead since Sunday,

Link to WA Post article

Anthrax sickens 13 in western Siberia, and a thawed-out reindeer corpse may be to blame

I recall a few years ago how little it would have cost to act on climate change and global poverty. Instead the good old USA has gone down the path of all failed empires with militarism and an oligarchy. Hillary will continue Obama's legacy.

In the mean time, need to stop TPP even if it means standing up to Obama. Of course it means standing up to Obama who is continuing his gifts to the oligarchy.

From the WA Post article

First a heatwave hit Siberia. Then came the anthrax.

Temperatures have soared in western Russia’s Yamal tundra this summer. Across Siberia, some provinces warmed an additional 10 degrees Fahrenheit beyond normal. In the fields, large bubbles of vegetation appeared above the melting permafrost — strange pockets of methane or, more likely, water. Record fires blazed through dry Russian grassland.

In one of the more unusual symptoms of unseasonable warmth, long-dormant bacteria appear to be active. For the first time since 1941, anthrax struck western Siberia. Thirteen Yamal nomads were hospitalized, including four children, the Siberian Times reported. The bacteria took an even worse toll on wildlife, claiming some 1,500 reindeer since Sund

'For one thing, Levitz wrote, Clinton appeared to embrace of "the energy and passion of a grassroots, left-wing movement." In addition, her speech acknowledged "that the central problem with the American economy is not an inadequate education system or a lack of innovation, but rather, the fact that the wealthy exert an outsized influence over public policy," Levitz argued.'

Hillary, try Googling John D. Rockefeller Frederick T. Gates Education Quote
Yes we have an inadequate education system. Please study what you find. You are half right on this.

Clinton-2 cannot win without me and other former dems, now re-registered Greens. So, the whole corporate DNC candidacy is a total sham, a loser, right out of the box. I am so pissed as to have to say, that only a miracle will produce a "bump" in her post-convention polls. And if a bump does happen, then I cannot believe that the polling had not been rigged in her favor - like the whole sham convention and the primary election fraud that preceded - that I witnessed here in Arizona and other Bernie activists witnessed around the country. A historic "no bump" is more of a reality, in my opinion. Her already slumping polling numbers compared to the neo-fascist portends a dark road ahead for us honest, fun-loving truthtellers who meet here at Common Dreams.

What an efin' mess that the efin' corporate oligarchs have made for us working folks to have to endure, going "backward" into the next 4 years! A dark time. Without single-payer healthcare, only enough money to feed and cloth ourselves - no more or very little "going out" - and above all, NO ONE to protect us (except ourselves) from the very probable gestapo-style wholesale arrests (like in the sixties and at OWS), coming and promised by Trump. And Clinton-2 can't win and Goddess knows, that both Clintons get it, but they don't give a shit about the planet and us, just their myopic, greedy desire to rule as the "first".

Clinton, the neocon, wants another cold war with Russia, while Trump respects Russia and wants peace.
Compare their positions on Russia here: http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/07/28/donald-trump-is-the-peace-candidate-russia-putin/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=New%20Campaign&utm_term=Flashpoints

How Hillary's folks managed the convention to keep Bernie supports at bay

How Clinton quelled an insurgency She relied on the graciousness of a rival to help silence her critics and present a unified picture to a national audience.

Find out the tricks that were used

I share her rage, and her antagonism toward the US war machine, but "I loathe every single one of you" was over-the-top harsh. Did she not hear the booing at the convention? Did she not see the NO MORE WAR signs? I would like her to know that there is a rapidly growing hostility toward US militarism in the US.

The convention was heartbreaking. The message was awful and the corruption and fraud were blatantly visible. We're enraged and crying too.

Unfortunately, I think she can (and will) win, even without us. If the establishment politicians think she could lose, they will join her in whatever fraudulent way the dream up, to insure the status quo that makes a few people very rich, at the expense of the rest of the world.

Hillery's 'merica is exceptional.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

NADER 2000!
Thanks a lot, Ralph.
That lesser of two evils Al Gore was too snobby.

Oh brother... That decrepit shibboleth.

The dismal dollar Democrats have nothing, and I mean NOTHING in 2016. They have a catastrophically bad candidate that no one trusts or likes, they have a threadbare handful of old lesser evilist attack lines (Nader? In 2016!?) that were never very compelling in the first place. They have been exposed as rank criminals fraudulently manipulating their own primary elections against will of the people. They have a nation RAGING on both the left and right against a completely out of touch establishment in Washington. Finally, and perhaps worst of all, they have a billionaire populist TELLING THE TRUTH ABOUT THEM all over their pet corporate media.

What a nightmare, eh?

I'd almost feel bad for them if the party wasn't the biggest pile of useless, lying crap ever shat into civilization; a festering pit of bloated, mewling corporate lawyers, blow-dried pundits, war-racketeers, bankster-gangsters and fawning courtiers.

This isn't an election any more so much as it as a national pelting of Washington with rotten produce.

Listen closely, and you can almost hear the entire country booing.

I've always been a bit suspicious of good speakers and fancy words. Much more interested in poking around in their closets so to speak to see what they've been up to. So goes it with Ms. Clinton. And as I told a rather clueless friend this a.m. Do look behind that curtain no matter what the man (or woman in this case) tells you.

Forty years ago the DLC decided the way to win elections was to out-Republican the Republicans.

Mission Accomplished.

Welcome to the new Republican Party.