Home | About | Donate

From Scientist to Activist

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/09/08/scientist-activist

1 Like

Marvelous account of your journey and awakening as a scientist. Now it’s time for your leadership as an activist and advocate, Dr. Price. I will join the Global Climate Strike here, on September 20, 2019.

1 Like

OK I am inspired by this post, am ready to share knowledge. I have worked in clean energy for decades. To sum briefly – One square meter of direct sunlight in Colorado climate is worth more than one barrel of oil per year, and costs $100/m^2 – $10 per year plus interest. A solar thermal concentrator is +80% efficient. Thermal energy can be stored for one year at 90% efficiency via borehole seasonal storage. Whole cities can be 100% heated and cooled with clean district heating. 100% clean energy transition is self financing.

The US spends $ 1 trillion per year buying fossil fuels. The US economy is $21 trillion per year.

1 Like

Sounds a lot better than the horse and wagon riding through town delivering burlap sacks of coal to be burned in thousands of wood/coal stoves.
I guess we can say we are making some progress.

1 Like

“The best time to quit smoking and burning fossil fuels, was 30 years ago when scientists first raised the alarm. The next best time to quit smoking, and transition to cleaner, cheaper, and healthier renewable energy, is today.”

This quote is the perfect antidote to those who claim that it is now too late to stop the sixth great extinction or save the Earth from total destruction. Shoulda-Coulda- etc as an excuse to sit back, do nothing, and accept our fate. The FACT is that for those adults that do not take direct action NOW, they will be remembered by the children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren of this generation as traitors to their inevitable future of suffering and death of all living things on the planet.

I should have quit smoking 50 years ago. I tried a thousand times and failed every time. Until over six years ago and have never smoked again. In retrospect, I cannot even fathom how I ever found it okay to light something on fire and inhale the smoke. That is pretty analogous to where we find ourselves today with climate chaos. How could we have imagined lighting fossil fuels of every variety on fire and sending all the pollutants into the air, lungs of the Earth; all for our human addiction to continuous growth on a finite planet. All for the comfort and wealth of (some) humans.

Time to join the youth in the streets, taking direct action in the places where we live.

2 Likes

Heather Price says:

And like Cassandra, no one listened. Not even my own parents.

Tell me about it.

1 Like

I have to be careful even talking about the weather around some of my family members…

2 Likes