Home | About | Donate

From Tijuana to Harvard to Compton to UCLA Law: The Journey of Social Justice Lawyer Luz Herrera

From Tijuana to Harvard to Compton to UCLA Law: The Journey of Social Justice Lawyer Luz Herrera

Bill Quigley

Luz Herrera, social justice lawyer and UCLA law professor, was born in Tijuana to Mexican parents and grew up in the Latino neighborhoods of Los Angeles.

I worked in the legal aid sector for many years. I applaud what Ms. Herrera is doing to provide lawyers for the poor. However, the self-help legal model does not work. Poor people cannot be given a few hours of counseling and then be sent into court to represent themselves effectively against powerful law firms, or even against one educated attorney. So while I am pleased to see new ways being developed for lawyers to actually represent poor people, I cringe when I see some of that effort and money going into the empty promise that self-help clinics hold out to desperate people.

It sounds like you either did not read the article, or you did not understand it. Breaking laws?? This is a serious accusation -- and baseless. If you are having trouble making a living, you should examine your own attitude. Sensitivity to others and being charitable are assets.