Home | About | Donate

Fulfilling 'Feedback Loop' Fears, New Study Shows Melting Ice Could Spell Disaster Faster Than Previously Thought

Fulfilling 'Feedback Loop' Fears, New Study Shows Melting Ice Could Spell Disaster Faster Than Previously Thought

Julia Conley, staff writer

Bolstering concerns that so-called "feedback loops" should be considered a legitimate and serious concern, a new study shows that a worrying hypothesis put out just three years ago about the impacts of melting Antarctic ice may already have started coming true.

From a purely non-scientific perspective it feels like the weather is changing. Radical temperature swings with hotter and dryer summers, winters with February days in the 80’s and spring with moderately warm days but nights below freezing almost to May accompanied with unusually heavy rains. This is in temperate West Virginia. Folks here, these are very conservative people, are taking note of these changes - but phrase it like, weather is crazy anymore isn’t it? - It certainly is. The huge question is always, how much can we tolerate before we witness a dissolution of agriculture and our ability to grow grains with all that means.

I’m pretty sure it isn’t that the fresh water blocks the sinking of colder salt water, it’s that it blocks the formation of colder salt water in the first place. Most of the radiational cooling of seawater takes place at the surface, and as the salt water at the top cools, it becomes more dense than the warmer salt water below, and sinks, and this drives major ocean convection and conveyor cycles. With a blanket of fresh water on the oceans, even very warm seawater isn’t buoyant enough to push through it, so any radiational cooling at the surface tends to stay at the surface, and this would tend to shut down the convection / conveyor cycles below.

At least that’s my read of the proposed theory.

James Hansen has a pretty good record when it comes to climate change predictions. Looks like he might be on target again. It does seem likely that there will drastic changes in the US coast in the coming decades. Louisiana is already gradually losing coastal land and sea walls will be needed to for whatever people decide to try to protect. Some people are writing off Miami and much of south Florida since it rests on porous limestone. Must of the coastal US is in jeopardy but that will not stop people from voting for Republicans who support policies that would only speed up the destructive process.

Thanx for the update. Earth Day was Sunday the 22nd. Where were the movements to scream and yell for leadership to do something? The day was barely mentioned at all on TV. My local news spent more time on Sunday also being National Jellybean day!? Really? Candy gets more time than Earth, our only home? Gosh we’re in trouble. Once feedbacks get going there won’t be a damn thing humans can do to stop them, nothing. Once going even stopping ALL fossil fuel burning WON’T help. At least I have no children to answer to.

Hansen’s book “Storms of My Grandchildren” sums it up quite nicely. I suggest it for anyone actually interested in the global poisoning, which is causing the climate change problem. Poisoning is everywhere. Humans are treating Earth as a big garbage dump. There’s an island of plastic in the Pacific more than 2X the size of Texas.

The one thing we absolutely know about increasing amounts of carbon dioxide (and let’s not exclude its mono-carbon buddy methane) in the atmosphere is that the radiant cooling will be retarded by the absorption of long wave radiation headed into space. That energy will kick our ass. Exactly how, no one knows. But it will, right in the butt.

It is an equivalent to a frog being in a pot that is slowly heating up. By the time it notices it already is cooked. The same can be very likely said about humans in this scenario.

Here we go… yet another “happening faster than we thought” article. When will people wake up?! We have crossed the rubicon and feedback loops are already underway. We aren’t running out of time, but HAVE already run out of time. It won’t be much longer when we will be unable to grow grains and our agricultural systems will collapse. Human extinction is probably coming by mid century…sooner than we thought! I want to apologise to the planet for having had the Human virus infest it with overpopulation and choking it’s once pure bio systems with garbage, plastic, and petroleum-based carbon. Mona Loa’s CO2 reading for the week is 411.00 PPM. God help us all…

Another good scientific climate report. One has to wonder what it will take before the fossil fuel industry admits their hoax of denying future climate disasters. Probably not until it is too late, because we are fast approaching that time.

Thanks but I think I’ll trust James Hansen.

Yeah except in both cases that’s an urban myth. Both the frog and the people know exactly what is happening.

One thing is for damn sure. The earth will be far better off with us gone.

And yet they do nothing about it.

Until the next sapient species arises anyway.

The planet has been through worse and survived. In the long run it should be fine. But for many animal and plant species this could be it. And humans may get knocked down to an extent that is hard to imagine.

Oh yes, the cockroaches, bacteria and viruses should do quite well…and maybe the tube worms at the bottom of the oceans.

“It’s too late baby, now it’s too late…”
I’m not sure Carol King was addressing global warming with that little diddy back in the 70’s but it’s very prescient now. It is too late. Being 54 I used to think that the shit wouldn’t really hit the fan until I was gone from this ethereal plane. Now I fear I will have a front row seat for global warmings magnum opus.
Res Ipsa, Loquitar.

Much of the world’s best farmland is in river deltas a few feet above sea level. That’s where the spring flooding leaves an annual fresh load of soil nutrients. That’s where water for irrigation sits only a few feet down. The Egyptian civilization got going on the lower Nile river because that’s where the food grew dependably.

I’ve read that climate change is causing worldwide crop yields to fall by about 1% per year. If the world’s oceanfront deltas are all flooded by salt water, especially by storm surges, well, there goes that farmland.

Speaking of which, I have dinner on the stove.

This is serious. Please, no Mar a Lago underwater jokes.