Home | About | Donate

'Gas Is a Loser and It's Time to Move On': Report Debunks Big Oil Myth That Natural Gas Can Help Fight Climate Crisis

'Gas Is a Loser and It's Time to Move On': Report Debunks Big Oil Myth That Natural Gas Can Help Fight Climate Crisis

Jake Johnson, staff writer

With 2020 Democratic presidential contenders divided over whether natural gas should play any role in plans to combat the climate crisis and as the Trump administration works to rebrand the fossil fuel as "molecules of U.S. freedom," a report released Thursday debunks the prominent myth that natural gas can work as a "bridge fuel" to a clean and sustainable future.

3 Likes

While it’s true that from a climate change perspective, natural gas sucks less than coal, it still sucks. [As hydrocarbons, natural gas and oil have their energy potentials locked into the oxidation of both carbon (to carbon dioxide) and hydrogen (to water), while all of the energy content of coal is in the former, climate-change inducing, potential.] The idea that this narrative needs to be fought out between media outlets to further indoctrinate the population is abhorrent to this environmental professional. We don’t vote on things like bridge design, but rather leave such things to the experts in that arena. Until the People are able to wrest the Power out of the monopolists’ hands and trust the scientists on technical issues such as the environment and health, to name two, we shall continue to let mammon eviscerate humanity and the planet.
Bernie 2020!

5 Likes

Derp! CO2 emissions from fossil fuels are still CO2 emissions from fossil fuels. Period.
That ought to be bumper sticker simple enough for even the most blockheaded people to understand. Are you listening Mr. Biden?

4 Likes

“Freedom gas”. Is that like “freedom fries”?:

3 Likes

That “freedom gas” term hasn’t worked with my wife since I unveiled it 1989.

3 Likes

Senator Inhofe wants to throw a snowball at the Tulsa, Oklahoma levee system to show how strong it is?

Now, the logical sequel to “It’s time to move on” is that your own reputedly semi-progressive state, if it can find two neurons to rub together and a couple of nickels too, is going to engineer progressively better alternatives to every known use of natural gas. Two big targets are the use of natural gas for heating, especially at night when direct solar isn’t available, also A/C in most states, and electricity generation whenever solar isn’t immediately available. As an inventor I’m telling you that the engineering isn’t that hard. So, you might find out if your state senator gives two natural gases about this climate thing.

2 Likes

And there is the methane which is natural gas’s primary emission, far more potent though shorter lasting in the atmosphere than CO2 emission. I thought I read or heard that methane eventually breaks down to CO2 or at least in part; maybe that is what you are referring to when you say CO2 emissions are still CO2 emissions.

1 Like

All fossil fuels are going to be extracted and burned. You know it. I know it. We all know it. There is no way to stop it politically. Violence might work. But, I hate to see violence as a resort for this situation.

1 Like

“Natural Gas” is methane.

This reminds me why it is so catastrophic to vote for the lesser evil capitalist party, the democrats. When Obama was running for his first term, he often touted “clean coal” as a viable energy policy, at a time when we should have been making an emergency transition away from all fossil fuels. I remember a coal-industry RV driving around his campaign stops that was professionally painted in “clean coal” propaganda.

Like many aspects of the lesser evil party, or “more effective evil,” as Glen Ford calls the democrats, settling for them has led us directly to the terrifying position we are in today, with life on Earth on the brink, and a climate science buffoon in the White House. It’s time to crush capitalism, and the 2 capitalist political parties, or we’re done.

5 Likes

But, but… “natural gas” is now called "Freedom Gas"by the Trumpanzees . Remember “Freedom Fries” back during the wacky Bush years? That was our way if sticking it to the French for not supporting our brutal invasion of Iraq. Now these Earth raping scum are trying to pass off natural gas as some kind of wonder fuel that everyone should embrace. Meanwhile 500 tornadoes have already occurred in the U.S. and the measurement for PPM of CO2 is now rising above 415.
The latest idiocy - “molecules of U.S. freedom”. This country is fucked.

3 Likes

You mentioned Glen Ford. He is an executive editor of the excellent website “Black Agenda Report” which I heartily recommend. I check in there just about every day.

2 Likes

Drilling anything, Fracking, Coal or Oil, should be halted immediately to continue this conversation. These 3 are the reason the Planet is being poisoned along with all of us. Companies have no Regulations and will drill anywhere for huge profits, yet they refuse to clean up their mess. I saw a Fracking Operation drilling on the San Andreas! Doesn’t look like they will stop their destructive ways anytime soon no matter how many Marches or Rallies Green Groups organize. Forget about our elected leaders coming to the rescue as they are knee deep in the profits as well. I don’t see a solution here at all.

1 Like

Do all commenters live in southern California? I have not heard how each one heats their residence including water. My home is NG, my hot water is electric.
It would be financially difficult to switch to a different source. So if we transform, it will be slowly, and a one at a time kind of thing. Probably would need subsidizing.

“molecules of U.S. freedom” Truly they live in a world all their own.

1 Like

freedom farts are next.

2 Likes

I don’t know it.

Methane is natural gas. When burned it makes CO2, the primary greenhouse gas. Some methane leaks into the atmosphere during extraction and handling. It doesn’t stay as long in the atmosphere as CO2 but it is a stronger greenhouse gas and when it does decay in the atmosphere it is converted to CO2, the main greenhouse gas.

Trump has continued where President Barack Obama and Sec. Hillary Clinton left off, pushing natural gas at home and abroad, ultimately dooming the biosphere… only Trump calls it “freedom gas,” because that’s what his political brand demands.

(Obama called it a “bridge fuel” essential to leaving dirty coal behind… a bogus industry talking point, but the mainstream bought it, just as they bought Obama’s support for “clean” coal and nuclear power!)

With the Trump administration aggressively pushing fossil fuels at home and abroad, we’ve seen virtually no change from one administration to the next. Sec. Clinton’s State Department was notorious for pushing other nations to adopt fracking. Trump is merely following suit, doing precisely as his old chum, Hillary, did: https://www.theguardian.com/…/how-hillary-clintons-state-de…

And President Obama became the #1 president in U.S. history for domestic oil production, which he increased 88%, per Forbes Magazine. Number One, even as the climate catastrophe was exploding – whereas Texas oilman, George W. Bush, ironically presided over annual declines of U.S. oil production: https://www.forbes.com/…/president-obamas-petroleum-legacy/…

And when Obama became the first U.S. president to open up the Arctic for oil drilling, climate experts, including Bill McKibben, responded unequivocally, saying that such a move "absolutely had to be off limits if we are to have any hope” – that opening up the Arctic for Shell and friends “fatally undermined” Obama’s environmentalist rhetoric and record: https://www.theguardian.com/…/obamas-approval-of-arctic-dri…

Typical Obama: extinguishing hope and undermining his eloquence with policies worthy of Donald Trump. Policies nearly identical to Trump’s, in fact… buried under artful words and considerable personal grace and dignity: http://invitation2artivism.com/…/2…/01/Trumps_AmericaBOs.jpg

But what more could we expect from the president who fought to make the Paris Climate Accords a toothless placebo while millions of American “liberals” cheered? Obama destroyed the international consensus that had formed behind legally enforceable carbon emissions limits and legal liability for polluters – appalling! And yet the faux-left pretended he’d accomplished something major for the environment! (Making politicians like Obama more dangerous, ironically, than a scumbag like Donald Trump! At least people notice when Trump tries to surrender the biosphere and future habitability of the planet to industry marauders. Whereas under smooth-talking Democrats, the center-left nods approvingly and goes to sleep while the planet burns.)

3 Likes

And it leaks out of the pipes and transfer stations along which it is transported - is that what you mean by “handling?”

1 Like