Home | About | Donate

Gas Prices Are Down and a Nation's Love for SUVs Soars

Gas Prices Are Down and a Nation's Love for SUVs Soars

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

For the United States to meet its climate goals, cars and trucks need to be made with improved fuel efficiency. But a trio of obstacles—gasoline prices feeding consumer demand for SUVs, industry attacks, and a slow rate of technological advances—is thwarting those objectives.

Literally driving over the cliff

WE don't have to buy those cars........But WE choose to so it is WE who are a major part of the problem. Of course I will excuse YOU if YOU only ride a bicycle and don't fly interstate etc.......

How about plug-in electric motor scooters - achieving the equivalent of 400 miles per gallon (0.6 l./100km). I am the lone rider of one in my city of 1.4 million - various manufacturers have tried to introduce them to the US market - only to totally flop.

I have gotten very few expression of interest, and plenty of ridicule of mine. So I might try something. I will repaint it and put a big Apple logo and the label "Apple e-Scooter" on it and watch the young people mob me asking where they can get one.

P.S. Are you trying to egg on Ms. SR with your use of all those "we"s?

You are allowed to use your scooter.........as long as the power comes
from a worn-out nuclear power station that has no carbon
footprint......... No; no egging on. Just speaking the Truth. Would I do
otherwise?

Most US states have deregulated and (sort of) "free-marketed" electric generation - we actually shop around and choose the generator of our electricity - only the transmission and distribution is still done by a traditional state-regulated utility company or the local government. I don't necessarily agree with it, but one advantage is that we can choose to buy renewable-generated electricity (albeit for a higher price - I pay 9.5 cents per kwh). So I am currently buying 100% wind energy (or specifically the company buys a kwh of wind-electricity certificates - most of it generated out in Kansas or Texas - not my local grid) for each kwh I use. I also could have opted to but certified local Pennsylvania wind electricity, but the price was way up there.

But yes, I'd be fine with nuclear too.