Home | About | Donate

Gaza As the Palestinian State Is Not an Acceptable Two-State Solution

Gaza As the Palestinian State Is Not an Acceptable Two-State Solution

Sami Awad, Michael Beer

The two-state solution to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict is not dead. On the 25th anniversary of the Oslo Accords, Israel is implementing an unjust "two-state" solution by making Gaza the Palestinian rump state on 1.76% of historical Palestine. Israel is moving toward permanent annexation of the West Bank and East Jerusalem. They de-facto control much of the fractured territory already. Israel may "generously" throw in some desert lands near Gaza so that Gazans can have a better airport.

1 Like

Hi TomJohnson1;
i support BDS too. The UN is looking very useless and wimpy, and the UK has never stood up for what the Balfour Agreement really says. Zionism is not a religion that has no relation to the Jewish religion. I am not really sure about Herzl though… his novel Altneuland does not resemble current day Israel at all… and in the book, he has a Muslim neighbor. in fact Herzl didn’t even care where people moved, it didn’t have to be Israel— he just felt they needed thrown nation------too bad England did not even like the Palestinians back then----maybe it would have been different if they had.

Should have been Antartica. Think about it, a whole continent. And the natives already dressed in what basically appears to be Orthodox attire.

4 Likes

At the root is a problem harder than King Solomon was asked to judge in 1st Kings 3:16-28, two mother claimants and one child.

And too much like the stereotypical western, where one man declares “This town ain’t big enough for the both of us!”

Hamas, rulers of Gaza, explicitly say so regarding Israel and Israeli Jews. Their entire charter and raison d’être is to conquer Israel and subjugate the Jews. What follows? Unknown, although killing the Jews appears to appeal to them.

By all signs Mahmoud Abbas, Fatah and the Palestinian Authority nod their heads and appear to agree with Hamas, while avoiding actually saying so.

Israel aren’t willing to give up THEIR OWN NATION, located in its historic location.
They probably wish the Palestinians had gone to the rest of the Arab world and been assimilated there, much like most of the Arab world’s Jews were expelled and resettled in Israel…

Much of the rest of the world finds it convenient to think of Israel’s Jews as Western colonialists, and aren’t much bothered at the thought of their being driven out and forced to resettle in, say, the USA.

Charles Krauthammer, in one of his columns, remarked that even if the Palestinians got their most fervent wish, and all Israeli Jews were expelled or killed, there would not be peace, justice or prosperity in that part of the world. The divide between Hamas and the Palestinian Authority, and their oppression and mismanagement of their respective territories is proof of that. All we can ask at this point is, what is the best three-state solution that can be managed, right now.

It passes King Solomon’s wisdom what a just solution would be. Justice likely is in the eye of the beholder.
– Perhaps the just solution, for the whole world, was written up in a few places, like Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’, or ‘The World Without Us’. God, give us a flood, and don’t spare anyone this time.

Hamas 2017 Charter makes it clear that Hamas will negotiate a peace based on the 1967 borders and it also makes clear that it is not anti-Jewish.

20 …Hamas considers the establishment of a fully sovereign and independent Palestinian state, with Jerusalem as its capital along the lines of the 4th of June 1967…
16. Hamas affirms that its conflict is with the Zionist project not with the Jews because of their religion. Hamas does not wage a struggle against the Jews because they are Jewish but wages a struggle against the Zionists who occupy Palestine. Yet, it is the Zionists who constantly identify Judaism and the Jews with their own colonial project and illegal entity.

There is a debate on whether Arab countries expelled its Jewish citizens or if Israel encouraged the migrations.

However, we did witness the shameful incitement of Netanyahu a few years ago urging French Jews to leave their own country.

The Economist carried an article that might surprise many. 50,000 Israelis feel safe enough to visit an Arab country, Morocco, every year. 110 synagogues have been refurbished there for this tourist trade. Morocco also issues hundreds of passports each year to Israeli Jews of Moroccan descent, of whom there are almost half a million live in Israel. It takes a month, no security questions asked.

My own personal attitude is pessimistic…i see no solution either in the two-state (an unsustainable bantustan model), one-state (unacceptable to Israeli hegemonists) or confederation with Jordan (remember Jordan’s expulsion of the PLO)

2 Likes

Zionist - they have the same plan as hitler and his henchmen.

they are a form of parasitic existence, which is death for the rest of the human race.

“Donations of funds to cover the costs of processing samples have come from the Austrian branch of Hadassah International and other precious sources, including the Karl Kahane Foundation, but more are eagerly sought. Neither the Health Ministry nor the health funds have offered funding for the project, even though it saves lives.

But it is promising that there is a scheme run by an Israeli-Arab that endeavours to seek cooperation between Israelis and Arabs. Surely an optimistic sign for political coordination. This article also may be of interest.

A January 2006 study rejects the “demographic time bomb” threat based on statistical data that shows Jewish births have increased while Arab births have begun to drop. A study showed that in 2010, Jewish birthrates rose by 31% while the Arab birthrate fell by 2%. Therefore if you are really concerned about numbers, the illegal settler population would be of concern.

Your statistics of health benefits of Israeli-Arabs should be presented in the context with Israeli-Jews, for instance, In 2003, the infant mortality rate among Arab citizens overall was 8.4 per thousand, more than twice as high as the rate 3.6 per thousand among the Jewish population. Life expectancy is consistently lower among Israeli Arabs than Israeli Jews

As for your speculation on a future one-state, do you consider the present one fifth of Israelis who are Palestinian to be non-democratic?

As for corruption, need we look any further than Netanyahu and his family?

Now if you replaced Palestinian with Jew, you would be in breach of the IHRA guidelines with your own racist hyperbolic rhetoric

The eviction of all residents, demolition of the residential buildings and evacuation of associated security personnel from the Gaza Strip was completed by September 12, 2005. A total of 8,000 Jewish settlers from all 21 settlements in the Gaza Strip were relocated. The average settler received compensation of more than U.S $200,000.

How much will the Bedouin of Khan al-Ahmar receive? Can you tell me?

An interesting and balanced account from wiki

In its 2009 Human Rights report, the U.S. State Department wrote that after the 2006 revision of textbooks by the PA Ministry of Education and Higher Education, international academics concluded that books did not incite violence against Jews

Why isn’t East Jerusalem? It has been fully (and illegally) annexed but its inhabitants are still deprived of voting rights in national elections and for the mayor.

Oh, but when you annex a territory all inhabitants should become full citizens and not just remain voters for local elections.

When Hamas won the election described by neutral observers as fair elections, it was the PA who deprived them of government. On 25 January 2006. The result was a victory for Hamas, contesting under the list name of Change and Reform, who won with 74 seats of the 132 seats, whilst the ruling Fatahwon just 45. In terms of votes received, Hamas took 44.45% of the vote, whilst Fatah received 41.43% and of the Electoral Districts, Hamas party candidates received 41.73% and Fatah party candidates received 36.96%. So i suggest you address your question to the PA.

Also why was Hamas refused by Israel campaign in East Jerusalem and does that proscription still stand if new elections were to be held

I am no defender of Hamas so i need not pretend to protect their authoritarianism but i am reminded of a British ditty regards mainstream journalism
You cannot hope

to bribe or twist,

thank God! the

[Israeli] journalist.

But. seeing what

the man will do

unbribed, there’s

no occasion to

But i do find Haaritz a good read

As i am European with a fairly decent health service, and as you should have noted i was complimentary about aspects of Israel’s which also shares universal access, i won’t deem to defend America’s travesty of health-care, JG.

Life expectancy in 2002 was about 3 years less for Arab Israelis compared with Jews.

“Evidence that settlers are illegal?”

https://www.un.org/press/en/2016/sc12657.doc.htm
From an Israeli

1 Like

My apologies i mis-read the intent of one of your answers that Jews are naturally longer living as in the USA, for example. I expect this refers mostly to Ashkenazi.

As i said i don’t defend authoritarianism and suppression of freedoms

For the status of Christians in Gaza

And the restrictions placed upon them by Israel

Some ultra-Orthodox Jews have been accused of having a decades-old practice of cursing and spitting on Christian clergymen in Jerusalem, and there have been cases where churches and cemeteries were defaced by price taggers When the doors of the Latrun monastery were set aflame and the phrase “Jesus was a monkey” was painted on its walls, the Vatican reacted with a rare official complaint against the Israeli government’s inaction In June 2015, the Church of the Multiplication was significantly damaged by an arson attack and defaced by Hebrew graffiti, with the words “the false gods will be eliminated” (quoted from the Aleinu)

So people in glasshouses…

Interesting

The Israeli government facilitated, cooperated and successive government policies assisted in this movement.

i suggest you read the wiki entry

You are playing semantics when faced with the fact that only one country in the world consider the towns and cities established as legal - Israel.

I said in another comment i was a pessimist i do not see the prospect of them being dismantled and an Israeli government forcibly removing hundreds of thousands of Israelis to create a cohesive Palestinian state. Changing borderlines and exchanging populations is full of pit-falls. One way around this is to create a “Greater Israel” (but with a more appropriate name) where all Palestinians are given full and equal citizenship. I’m aware that it is unlikely to happen due to the desire that Israel should be “Jewish” rather than a secular nation. So as a pessimist i see only further animousity and acrimonious incidents with periodic fuller scale conflicts arising.

I’m a Marxist and hold that the world is divided into classes. Wealth and luxuries existing alongside poverty and deprivation in Gaza is no big surprise.

My position is no war but the class war. Nationalism can never be a solution to the problems of oppression: it was not for the Jews; it would not be for the Palestinians. The problem is class, not national, racial, or religious origins.

“Nationalism is an infantile disease. … It is the measles of mankind.” Albert Einstein

A critical blog i posted on this regards Hamas in Gaza, here

Another

And yet another

I am in sympathy with the sentiments of groups of Gazans such as these young Gaza residents

“Fuck Hamas. Fuck Israel. Fuck Fatah. Fuck UN. Fuck UNWRA. Fuck USA! We, the youth in Gaza, are so fed up with Israel, Hamas, the occupation, the violations of human rights and the indifference of the international community…”

As i said, and have now shown, - i am no apologist for Hamas, but i do condemn the suffering imposed upon my fellow-workers.

No, it was meant that you should desist from general anti-Palestine insults as you have done above in a comment by suggesting that they are new Nazis