Home | About | Donate

Gentrification and the Death of Black Communities

I keep coming back to 'colonization' mindsets and the fundamental premise of negation of anything that does not fit the juggernaut du jour. Colonization despises diversity, memory, legitimate integrative dynamics, precautionary principles, principles of physics as applicable to life itself - seemingly seeing them as sacred abstracts that are used as 'strange attractors'. Like a fundamentalist religion that holds one sacred mystery: thou shalt not recognize the colonization premise(s).

Colonization of the commons is a hubris based on a legacy of "privilege" with tsunamis of consequences that are destroying everything that it delusionally considers "externalized" (not of itself=a form of narcissism). From dehumanization, regarding nature as inanimate and criminalization it is disintegrating, dissembling, inverting, - all patterns reflective of collapse of what are constructs so far from truth and justice they would be laughable were they not so totalizing and tragic. .

The "TTIP Energy Deal" could devastate black communities by raising the cost of heat and electricity leading to the assertion by landlords that many older buildings had become "too expensive to heat" and needed to be replaced. That would lead to a test case to overturn rent stabilization laws nationally that would likely win. Millions of families would have nowhere to go.

Needless to say, the commodification of goods like water are another method used to displace black communities.

"Capital" wants to redevelop Detroit and the system that is called Capitalism has decided that this can not be done as long as a poor black population lives there as this thing called the "market" would make the land less desirable and depress prices.

Coupled with that are debtors prisons wherein people are incarcerated for failure to pay debt and where they are now even being charged a daily fee for the costs of incarceration. Detroit in essence is to be ethnically cleansed so those developers can generate more profits. This was part of the same system used to cleanse the Eastern US of its First Nations peoples.

Now when they generate those profits and real estate values climb as the area redeveloped those idiots that are the right wing libertarians will claim this an example of how the "market" creates wealth and value and how the investor class is needed for their Capital.

It always gets back to CAPITAL. A system built around CAPITAL such as capitalism is will be exploitave and will entrench racism and sexism.

Be it a black community or an entire sea under which oil resources might lie, Capitalism KILLS. As an economic system it is an apex predator.

"As long as money wins, black people will lose."

As long as rich people make the rules, poor people will lose.

Direct Democracy.

In more developed parts of the world, people strive to live in multicultural environments showcasing the different ethnic diversity (such as food and art) that their neighbourhoods have to offer. Meanwhile, here in Manhattan, each day sees the net loss of blacks as moneyed whites replace them. Racist gentrification is a problem that can only be dealt with by eliminating the income disparity between all people of all backgrounds. Personally I would support giving all poor people guaranteed incomes through civil servant jobs, welfare and disability payments, or attending school and pay for it by scrapping the military in exchange for social reforms.

Race has nothing to do with it. They would be welcomed if they had lots of money.

With the US so heavily invested in institutions like the WTO GATS that mandate the incremental privatization of public services, the US probably wants to send a message to the corporations of the world that the US is SO solidly behind the privatization agenda that even a black US president pushes the GATS 1:3 (b) and (c)

It may soon be difficult for the various governments, state, local and federal - even municipalities to "support" local food and art preferentially.

I really think you need to reexamine your premises.

Race is one of the reasons they do not have a lot of money . Were this not the case the number of rich people would correlate directly with the population at large.The distribution of wealth is not color blind.There are around 10 million millionaires in the USA.There are 35000 black millionaires.Blacks make up 14 percent of the population yet .35 percent of the millionaires. It really quite easy to claim such neighbourhoods would welcome rich blacks when there are only a handful of them. As such people looking for "white only communities" can be pretty confident they will find such in communities that have high cost housing.

Your statement is very much like the following quote;

In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread. (Anatole france)

I really think you need to reexamine your premises. Race is one of the reasons they do not have a lot of money . Were this not the case the number of rich people would correlate directly with the population at large.The distribution of wealth is not color blind.There are around 10 million millionaires in the USA.There are 35000 black millionaires.Blacks make up 14 percent of the population yet .35 percent of the millionaires. It really quite easy to claim such neighbourhoods would welcome rich blacks when there are only a handful of them. As such people looking for "white only communities" can be pretty confident they will find such in communities that have high cost housing.

You're misunderstanding what I was trying to say. What you are saying, and I don't disagree with you is that in American we have a legacy of extreme racism. But we have a number of other forms of "invidious" discrimination too, also we have huge disparities in educational opportunity and healthy housing, exposure to environmental toxicants, endocrine disrupting chemicals, access to transportation, noise level, mold exposure, socioeconomic stress, predatory banking, usurious credit and lending, lack of affordable housing, predatory drug pricing... They all add up. We have to stop creating such an unequal society.

I think that often people like to use race as a way to get out of answering any of the hard questions or solving these hard problems. How easy it would be to just say, oh, its racism and walk away from the causes of poverty.

Well, I have news for them all, poor is the new black, and soon most Americans will be united in poverty if we arent united in speaking out against it. And in that context, the way you are looking at it is a dead end. because its trying to prolong a system of differentness that should be put behind us.

Wouldnt all people as a whole rather just be treated with respect?

"Black communities" are being targeted not because they are black, they are being targeted by people like Obama and his former friends because they are sitting on valuable real estate in cities and they are poor. So, unable to defend any right to anything. But the same thing would happen no matter what color they were if they were poor. The best thing we could do for black people is start giving every child a really good education, one which was completely color blind. More energy is devoted to beating creativity out of kids then putting it in.

We are all born creative.

Smart rebuttal.

So according to this article, only blacks can live in areas that are solidly black. That is ridiculous. And you make it seem as though only monied people are moving into these areas. Whites as well as blacks have been moving back because the housing is affordable, period.

Wrong!
I live in the overly gentrified WDC. When I moved here a few decades ago it was very diverse and affordable. Gentrified areas are nearly all white. Wealthy white.
Gentrification does not create affordable housing, it eradicates it. I would like to move to a different area of the city but it is not possible because real estate has sky rocketed in the past 10-12 years. Developers purchase single family homes and turn them into condos. Selling each floor for more than the entire house was purchased for.
I think you miss the point entirely.