Home | About | Donate

Gentrification, School Closings, and Displacement in Chicago

Gentrification, School Closings, and Displacement in Chicago

Eve Ottenberg

Beginning in 2013, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel unveiled an ambitious plan to shutter 330 underperforming public schools. The plan was soon whittled down to 54 schools citywide. Parents fought back in Bronzeville, an African American neighborhoodon Chicago’s South Side. If these schools were as terrible as Chicago Public Schools (CPS) officials claimed, then why did parents and other residents use every tool at their disposal, including hunger strikes, to keep them open?

2 Likes

I wonder how much Rahm paid his old pal Arne to draw up the “educational adjustment” plans.

2 Likes

"White Privilege."

Emanuel took his 30 pieces of silver and will now slink away.

1 Like

Dammit, I don’t want to hear shit like this. One step forward…
And they want safe neighborhoods. Bah

Speaking of safe neighborhoods. 1968 Chicago Democratic Convention was a bad deal.

I wonder what the 2019-20 convention will be like in Milwaukee? It could be a redo if conditions begin to resemble the last one.

2 Likes

When these things happen, I wish the community members affected would stand and shout against this injustice, and would beg for help from anyone who would be a supporter, to get the scheme into the news in order to shame officials and business interests away … I think if people could rally SS soon as there is a whiff of threat then they would be joined with people who would like to help them keep their very important community, before it becomes too late. <3