Home | About | Donate

Gentrifying Black History

Gentrifying Black History

Jesse Hagopian, Gerald Lenoir

Thanks to a long history of redlining, formerly black neighborhoods in cities around the country are continuously disappearing under the rapacious churn of financial real estate interests. But city blocks in prime locations aren’t the only things being lost. Gentrification is also happening in our classrooms and books, pushing out the past, erasing the lives and struggles of African Americans from our collective memory.

I think that evil is a genuine power. How else to explain how it is that JFK and RFK end up dead, but Charles and David Koch get to keep on keeping on with an agenda that leads to so much direct misery for so many?

Pulling this latest racist book was a small step in the right direction.

I admire Mr. Hagopian for raising consciousness and fighting for students' right to know the truth!

I think it's important to add to the narrative he herewith shares.

Look at that maniac in Arizona who banned ANY books about the true history of the Southwest and the presence of Native Americans and Mexicans in that region?

Consider the ways that Indigenous American children were seen as savages and taught to turn their backs on their cultures of origin and feel shame towards them?

Add in the hatred of Jews, the Japanese Internment camps, the fact that women for so long had NO rights...

When history is still told that insists that the White Man discovered America, and when anything genuinely true about those living here is left out... then it's obvious that all that comes thereafter is a con job.

Even now, few Americans understand who killed JFK.

And few Americans understand that wars are done to make a few people rich and have NOTHING to do with spreading Democracy, human rights, or improving the lives of U.S. citizens (framed as "national security").

How many understand the string of false flags unleashed in order to create an infrastructure of extra policing forces (Homeland security), a spy state apparatus, and LOTS of prison beds if not FEMA camps so that when TIPP and TPP pass, and citizens lose all recourse to the faintest forms of redress for corporate wrongs, there will be holding pens ready to house those who dare to "protest too much."

It's also useful to remember that probably 60 million Americans neither believe in global warming or evolution, and that millions also harbor prejudices inculcated into them from birth.

The Obama administration's legal attacks on a variety of whistle-blowers and inconvenient truthtellers suggests just how much disdain Power has for Truth (and its mouthpieces) in this era.

I remember when I was shopping a beautiful children's book around. Its premise was that of protecting the environment. Not only did no agent show any interest, at that time, a ridiculous book called "Duck Gets To Vote" was getting the royal treatment.

It wasn't lost on me that just when U.S. elections were becoming more and more corrupted by things like tainted vote counts and rosters of people (Blacks, mostly) being denied their hard-won right to vote, a book of that naïve nature would come out pretending all was well in the land of the free.

Lies are what the elites sell.

Even what passes for food is a lie! (Think: Monsanto's deadly gene spliced combinations.)

I am reminded that Bill "The First Black President" Clinton moved his offices to one such gentrified neighborhood in Harlem, NY. The pace has only accelerated.

What does this rambling rant have to do with the article?

Yeah. Good article.

Like the Black (and in my city Hunky and Polack) neighborhoods, black history itself been "gentrified". In that shameful "Birthday Cake for George Washington" children's book. Even black slaves get revisionist-transformed into Yuppies - in this case the slave becomes a professional "Executive Chef" of Mt. Vernon Plantation

There are few things as disgusting as historical revisionism.

Very little happens out of thin air. Events have histories, connections and associations that are rooted in the past. A Siouxrose1 'rant', as you described it, and that is often her intended motif, is a picture of the 'soil' that an article or story is rooted in. There's merit to looking deeper and to keep in mind how it came to be. It's not really a digression. Writing false narratives about African American history is something worthy of a rant. As well as some of the inderlying and concurrent histories.

Stunningly, this wake-up call is a must-read for anyone claiming racism is dead. NOPE.