Home | About | Donate

'Genuine Menace': Trump Calls in Lawyers to Block Publication of Embarrassing Book

'Genuine Menace': Trump Calls in Lawyers to Block Publication of Embarrassing Book

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

The forthcoming exposé, which features interviews with West Wing insiders, raises questions about the president's fitness for office and could be useful to the Russia investigation 

trump

The Decline and Fall of the US Empire…

I’ve read the attached article from the BBC.

This vilification of Trump is backfiring - and presents the vilifiers in the unpleasant guise of schills for the Democratic Party.

A sea change is underway -

I saw nothing disturbing in the article - Trump comes across as entirely human.

However - libel is libel - defamation and contracts do still carry some weight - or are we done with these too, in this everything is OK in the land of magic society, or is it dysfuntional society.

Looks like the Fourth Reich is looking more like the Third Reich every day! Didn’t Hitler ban and burn books that he considered a menace to the Third Reich?

As a full-on Trump-hater and a political leftist, even I know that none of this is going to matter to the true believers who put Donnie Tiny Hands in the White House. They truly don’t care about the mess, just as long as he keeps signing whatever the Republican Congress puts in front of him. This book is going to go away, just like every other scandal of the past 2+ years. He will die of natural causes long before anything impeachable comes up that even the Republicans can’t ignore. We need to just keep trying to obstruct and frustrate them at every turn for as long as it takes.

Well, back where I come from they say: If you want to run with the big dog, ya gotta shit with the big dog…so far in this trump regime nightmare the idiot-in-chief has had it mostly all his way, regardless how many and all he has seriously hurt! Now he can’t take it? Not only is he a liar, malignant narcissist, and bully, he’s a coward!

Not only is he a “fucking idiot”, “He’s not only crazy, he’s stupid”! Now if more people will stand-up to this evil MoFo and denounce his actions and his agenda, we might just see a new “McCarthy moment” when Joe Welsh brought his great moral compass to bear against the evil of Joe McCarthy’s destructive actions and agenda. Hopefully millions will finally see the orange chimp for the destructive person he is and the scales will fall from even the blindest eyes!

Hair Hitler President White Trash The Mango Mussolini: a disgrace to this planet just like his horrible supporters.

If Mr Trump’s lawyers halt the publication of this inflammatory book we will be well on the way for censorship to take root and spread like weeds everywhere throughout the land. All one would need is lots of cash and some good attorneys to file a suit and halt publication. If not outright publishing the they can tie it up in the courts for many years in a soft form of censorship. I’ve got better books to read than one on Mr Trump’s antics. They are on full display everyday.

Not talking about the specifics of the claim here but …

In the United States there is an entirely different standard for defamation (libel and slander) of public figures than for private citizens. That’s a good thing that helps to protect free speech and protests against governmental actions.

Trump is really missing things. In the photo he obviously meant to raise his middle finger, but evidently can’t tell them apart.

Extracts from the book have been quoted on the BBC and inThe Guardian - a British newspaper I’m worried that these could give the Trumpists an opening to sue for libel in the British courts, where the bar for bringing litigation is far lower than in the US (the UK is notorious as a home for ‘libel tourism’)

By blocking this book, he’s violating his oath to protect and defend the Constitution. His job is to defend the First Amendment, not eliminate it.

IMPEACH - INDICT - IMPRISON

Free Speech!

I hope the book is published - and I imagine Trump is just bust being himself - impulsive and intuitive.

The net effect, of course, is both to center attention on himself, never a bad thing in Trump’s view if I read him aright, and to distance himself from Bannon - probably also a good thing, from his point of view.

I may be mistaken, but hope I am not, in seeing what I believe is a man growing into the extraordinarily demanding job of President of the United States.

This I have not seen in a very long while - since Carter and especially Kennedy.

Yeah, he’s growing like a metastatic melanoma.
;-})

Man, many, I hope I’m misreading you! Are you implying that Dump is maturing and is morphing into becoming presidential? Or you’re being sarcastic and it went waaay over my head

"‘Any system of prior restraints of expression comes to this Court bearing a heavy presumption against its constitutional validity.’ Bantam Books, Inc. v. Sullivan, 372 U.S. 58, 70 (1963); see also Near v. Minnesota, 283 U.S. 697 (1931). The Government ‘thus carries a heavy burden of showing justification for the imposition of such a restraint.’ Organization for a Better Austin v. Keefe, 402 U.S. 415, 419 (1971). The District Court for the Southern District of New York, in the New York Times case, and the District Court for the District of Columbia and the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, in the Washington Post case, held that the Government had not met that burden. We agree.

The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit is therefore affirmed. The order of the Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit is reversed, and the case is remanded with directions to enter a judgment affirming the judgment of the District Court for the Southern District of New York. The stays entered June 25, 1971, by the Court are vacated. The judgments shall issue forthwith.

So ordered.

• Together with No. 1885, United States v. Washington Post Co. et al., on certiorari to the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit." New York Times Co. v. United States, 403 U.S. 713, 714 (1971)

Always good to read the case law before issuing demands or filing pleadings.

Maybe minitrue - but I am beginning to wonder if the genius of democracy is not now unfolding?

1. North & South Korea are talking again - I think North Korea will send their two skaters to the Olympic Games. You and I and everyone on this site know that the US and South Korea are in an alliance of the projection of power, which Common Dreamers generally abhor - yet now, all of a sudden - the natural alliance of North & South Korea is out of favor - Why?

2. Jerusalem and the US embassy - presidents have been kicking the can down the road since 1995. Here now - finally - is decision, for better or for worse - I respect that acceptance of responsibility and I personally agree with it, but that is neither here nor there - it is the decision I applaud.
    The Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995 reads “Jerusalem should be recognized as the capital of the State of Israel; and the United States Embassy in Israel should be established in Jerusalem no later than 31 May 1999”.

3. Pakistan and the withdrawal of aid: I think this is bang on. The creation of Pakistan is one of the numerous botched jobs perpetrated by the forerunner empire to the USA - Great Britain, along with the botched job creating an indefensible Israel. If you read extensively on this area, Pakistan, Afghanistan, you cannot but come to the conclusion that that situation stinks so bad you can’t breathe, as regards US involvement there.

4. Climate Change & the Paris Accords: I am a scientist - Trump is, like Rex Tillerson, active in the pursuit of yet more fossil fuel. I am sure Rex Tillerson knows man=made climate change is real - I suspect Trump knows this as well. Until the American Public gets real - the hunt for and use of fossil fuels will continue. The Paris Accords are no loss, in point of fact - bs if I might be allowed to express a personal opinion - not nearly enough with no compulsory mechanism - another botched and fatuous dumbing down to the least common denominator by a credulous world.

They say Trump is childlike, yet your Bible recommends this, and points out the craziness of the world we live in.

Bannon as a source - to be listened to and believed - come on !

The author himself of “Fire & Ice”. Let me say this - critics are everywhere, not unlike in the mountains, where few indeed wish to be first, but many wish to be first to be second - or more emphatically - ’ a critic is like a dog who knows the way but can’t drive the car.’

Read the book “Adults in the Room” by Yanis Varoufakis - and take a first hand look at what “responsible adults” do for a living - it will make you puke.

I think Trump is the much awaited anti-dote. Like any powerful medicine, it is close to killing you before it ‘saves’ you.

My opinion - Trump is refreshing - warts and all, and has accomplished more in one year in invigorating real participation in your participatory democracy than anyone since Kennedy.

The FBI investigation - are you now telling me that you trust and believe in the FBI, the CIA and all the related spooks who now inhabit DC like your metastatic cancer???

I have traveled extensively in the States - let me tell you Trump is not alone as a racist, as if you need telling.

Maybe the ‘end is nigh’ - maybe.

But more of the same - more Obamas, more Clintons, more Bushes - and if memory serves, Hillary, as Secretary of State, threatened Iran with nuclear annihilation - she was a Democrat at the time, or am I mistaken in that ??

No - this is all bullshit - character assassination is unworthy of any man.

Real progress does not follow a Utopian script minitrue.

What we have here is much needed change - messy as it is.

Interesting … I don’t believe I have ever seen the word “growth” applied to President Trump except in analogy to Glioblastoma.

Comment of the day!