Home | About | Donate

George Will Confirms Nixon's Vietnam Treason

George Will Confirms Nixon's Vietnam Treason

Bob Fitrakis, Harvey Wasserman

Richard Nixon was a traitor.

The new release of extended versions of Nixon's papers now confirms this long-standing belief, usually dismissed as a "conspiracy theory" by Republican conservatives. Now it has been substantiated by none other than right-wing columnist George Will.

Nixon's newly revealed records show for certain that in 1968, as a presidential candidate, he ordered Anna Chennault, his liaison to the South Vietnam government, to persuade them to refuse a cease-fire being brokered by President Lyndon Johnson.

Gop talks patriotism but does treason. Anything to get elected. Violate logan act by nixon in 69 and by reagan in 79. Bush scammed the vote in florida then blew billion in a criminal war.

Some real patriots need to infiltrate the gop

I know people will do a lot to be elected, but this snake cost many their lives, Americans, Vietnamese and others. This is the worst act of treason, I believe, in U.S. history.

Nixon didn't work for the U.S. He worked for the War Machine Kellogg Brown and Root and the Bush Crime Family who bankrolled his capers. First Nixon was involved in the JFK murder. He was quoted on the tapes as being worried "This could bring out that whole JFK thing" and also the $50,000 payment Howard Hughes gave him to be Hughes boy (which is rumored to be the evidence he was after during the Watergate break in. Recall that it was Hughe's Oil Platforms and Bushes Zapata Oil Corp used to stage the ill-fated Operation Zapata that JFK pulled the plug on. Bush's two ships the Barbra J and the Houston were slaughtered and sunk. Nixon was called "the point man" for CIA's illegal invasion of Cuba and later Prescott Sheldon Bush financed his campaign for President.

Oh, what tangled webs we weave, when first we practice to deceive....

Yes, let us not forget that St. Reagan communicated with the Ayatollah to prevent the release of the hostages until he was sworn in - released as he was sworn in in a huge slap to Pres. Carter and the U.S. And that was just the beginning as he moved on to the Iran/Contra scandal!

So when will we stand up on our hind legs and call for a world tribunal for our current GOP "leaders". These men need to be held accountable for their war crimes and their crimes against humanity in the World Court. And when they are convicted the Republican Party should be put out of business. I just can not believe this party still has any credibility or support. I accept the American people have an incredibly short attention span and absolutely no memory or understanding of even recent history. But I don't believe Americans are immoral or bad people. The only plausible explanation for their action (or inaction) must be pure, abject ignorance.

Don't forget that in 1980, Ronald Reagan undermined Jimmy Carter's negotiations with the newly-elected Iranian President Abdolhassan Bani-Sadr to free the American hostages in Iran. Bani-Sadr ran on a platform of freeing the hostages. This article, from 1991 explains further:

(close gaps in link): htt p://w ww.nytime s.c om/1991/05/07/world/bani-sadr-in-us-renews-charges-of-1980-deal.h tml

The Reagan campaign's secret negotiations with Khomeini - the so-called "October Surprise" - sabotaged Carter and Bani-Sadr's attempts to free the hostages. It was Reagan that was credited as "the hero" for saving their lives, when in fact his behind-the-scenes mechanisms delayed their release.

Both Nixon and Reagan played political games while US lives were on the line. And that's despicable.

"Johnson . . . [said] that “they oughtn't be doing this"

I agree

"This is treason.”

It was and is most definitely not treason,

It may have been a violation of the Logan Act - If so, what the Logan Act proscribes is not "treason"; it is inter-meddling (messing in),

It is also the case that the Logan Act is regarded by most (certainly by most if not all of those now claiming "treason") as a very vile act (in both senses of the word. It brings John Adams no credit, and is widely regarded as having cost him re-election. .

Treason is, and is only, what Article III, section 3 of the U. S. Constitution defines it as being:

"Treason against the United States shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort."

Nixon was clearly not "levying war against" the United States.

He was not "adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort."

Reckless, irresponsible, potentially horrifically damaging to the Republic and the common good tossings about of "treason" -- against Nixon in '68, the 47 Senators in their fortunately unsuccessful effort to prevent what is now a fait accompli (may they go to hell, but it is not treason) need to stop.

I am at a loss to see how the democrats are any better than the GOP. The more I learn the more disdain I have for American leaders. I have read that it was a democratic congress that with held appropriations for arms and munitions to the South Vietnamese after the American military pulled out of Vietnam. I was in Vietnam during Tet of 1968. I saw for myself the backs of the communist were broken. I suspect the reason for withholding arms was a political one. I have never heard a reason for this. We butchered over a million people for what politics. And I know that the communists butchered everyone in the South who had a modicum of intelligence. The worst part for me is not being able to talk to anyone about this situation. Thanks for your ears and I will appreciate anyone's serious comments.

Although what Nixon did was probably a dumb move, it's not exactly treason. The constitution clearly states what treason is:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort. No person shall be convicted of treason unless on the testimony of two witnesses to the same overt act, or on confession in open court.

The Congress shall have power to declare the punishment of treason, but no attainder of treason shall work corruption of blood, or forfeiture except during the life of the person attainted.

Nixon didn't levy a war, nor did he give them aid or comfort. How about Obama? Is he committing treason? Probably. How many countries are at war with the US because of Obama?

Great that this comes out, when even avowed conservatives are finally willing to admit that Nixon did wrong. That was one twisted human, and it's also very disappointing that so many Americans supported him. To read words of Nixon today, few would argue that he was a very devious man, who also had an enormous persecution complex. Amazing that such an individual could be elected president.

Nixon was a skunk, and he had the benefit of a good foundation in political back stabbing from Ike. Since time immemorial many political leaders have engaged in traitorous behavior, it depends on an engaged and educated electorate to supervise this behavior. This has not been our nations strong point. When we point a finger at Nixon, we have to remember 3 fingers point back at us. We should have done better as a nation.

http://nsarchive.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB101/index.htm

This video about the sabotage of the victory seems relevant to this discussion.

Sooooooooo, what can that old snake Kissinger be charged with? There IS room for more than one criminal act in there, right?

As if the outcome would have been different. Humphrey would have cut and run the same way the Democrats did after the Paris Peace Treaty. JUst like Obama did in Iraq. The results would have been the same.

Same Game Plan that Reagan used against Carter with the Iranians later on.

strong textNixon was paranoid and his paranoia carried over to the Reagan administration. Remember Iran/Contra and guess who was part of his administration. That's right, Rumsfeld, Cheney and a Bush.

Nixon was levying war against the Government of the United States, and against the People who own it. You might have a look at the transcripts yourself. Taking his own admissions, he hated us and served only himself. Kissinger's role is extraordinary, because he "knew" this treason occurred, participated in it, and was lost in Spenglerian clouds from which he never recovered as a result of it. I just read Grandin's "Kissinger's Shadow" which corroborates the facts in the Bob Fitrakis, Harvey Wasserman article.

The Republican penchant for treason may have begun with Nixon, but it's unassailable that it was perfected and repeated by people working to get Reagan and Bush elected; and blaming the hapless 40th president for organizing and carrying out his administrations illegal and traitorous acts is absurd. Reagans VP, the former CIA chief, GHWBush (41) undoubtedly ran the operations and the country from behind the scenes, the same as he did through his idiot son, with Dick Cheney, Scowcroft, and others and their treasons which, as with Nixons, needlessly resulted in the deaths of thousands of American servicemen and women.

They all call themselves patriots. Kissinger should be taken to the Hague for trial along with Bush and Chaney.