Home | About | Donate

Georgia DA Called Ahmaud Arbery Shooting 'Justifiable Homicide'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/05/12/georgia-da-called-ahmaud-arbery-shooting-justifiable-homicide

2 Likes

A thoroughly disturbing story, WTF is so wrong with some people?

6 Likes

From a vet, a public and private high school teacher, a small furniture construction business owner, and a stockmarket investor…living in this country is now a “moral injury”.

6 Likes

Let’s just call this what it is: Vigilante-ism conducted by white bigots, who are so intoxicated by the white supremacist atmosphere they breathe, that think they’re above the law and can lie with impunity.

12 Likes

Both of these prosecutors should be disbarred and then criminally charged for Conspiracy and obstruction of justice.

15 Likes

FucKKKing racists one and all. Part of their punishment (assuming they don’t walk away in good 'ole Georgia) would be to tattoo their entire bodies so they become black themselves for the rest of their lives. Let them become that which they so much hate in others and see how they fare. I know their issues run far deeper than that, which involve all kinds of self-hatred, but it would be a starting point for them to look at themselves in a new way.

1 Like

Raised in a state with a history of institutionalized racism and a belief in gun justice, I suspect.

2 Likes

My suggestion for the DA’s, law enforcement, and perp’s in these type of cases, and there are far too many of them, “black face” their entire bodies, then force them to walk, jog, and interact with the residents with-in racist communities like Satilla Shores as well as maximum criminal charges. What an eyeopener that would be for them, running for their own lives.

Sorry Babel, I failed to read your post before putting mine up. We are thinking alike on this subject though.

" Video later emerged of Arbery entering an open property under construction, remaining there for three minutes and then jogging down the street. One of the 911 callers mentioned this."

This part seems to be saying the “jogger” entered an open property. Not sure if this means he entered the inside of a stranger’s house, just was jogging through the side of it and then stopping to tie his shoes or what. Very vague here. This article says there was a burglar suspect on the loose, and that he entered a property and stopped for 3 minutes. Then these whackos come to citizen-arrest him. I don’t see a lynching here but over-zealous citizens, possibly mentally-unstable, trying to stop a fleeing person who was suspicious.

The “new” video shows what he did regarding the property. Maybe the wording was vague to you, but the video is not. The house was under construction, with no doors or windows in place yet. By the way, he was not fleeing in any manner. Why would you say that?

4 Likes

“Police, prosecutors and juries “may be apt to give killers the benefit of the doubt,” even in cases in which a killer’s fear may have been irrational.”

Well, well. Police itself kills roughly 100 people per month, each month of every year in this country…with the support of the law and the prosecutors. So, it’s complicated. These “citizens” in this little corner of Georgia follow their role models.

4 Likes

And…he was carrying nothing.

There is no justification for this confrontation … …NONE.
No one had to die!

5 Likes

Exactly. I’ve done the same thing with friends when I lived in Boulder just to get a feel for housing construction (which we were contemplating on a remodel) - if you don’t touch any tools and don’t climb any stairs, no one is going to care that you got some footprints on plywood.

There have been multiple stories in recent years on this type of tragic death and I don’t like to conflate them. If I was on the jury in the Darren Wilson shooting of Michael Brown, I suspect I would have voted to acquit based on a few details I’ve heard. I might have even voted to acquit Zimmerman if I believed the witness that said Martin was on top of him pummeling him. I haven’t watched the video here, but after skimming a CNN story, I see there is a claim of self defense (struggling for a gun). But given the particulars, I can’t see any justification for not having a trial to determine if self defense can be proven. And the DA’s actions on the voting case are definitely a pointer to an outright racist who should be voted out if that is possible in Georgia.

I live in CA, and I hope we don’t have any law as stupid as this:

How does Georgia’s citizen arrest law work?

“A private person may arrest an offender if the offense is committed in his presence or within his immediate knowledge,” the law states. “If the offense is a felony and the offender is escaping or attempting to escape, a private person may arrest him upon reasonable and probable grounds of suspicion.”

I don’t want private citizens acting like cops. If you have a gun and are outside your house, I don’t want to give you any rights to use it to reduce the rates of burglary - that is strictly a police officer’s job.

Its called a legacy of deluded immoral notions of superiority through the dehumanization of anyone not oneself. Narcissism in other words … malignant and all of the other definitions. Stir well: economic straight jackets, fascisitc hierarchy, denial of integrity to create and scorn of full diversity as essential to life.

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”
Jiddu Krishnamurti

3 Likes

Bring back the concept of “Officers of the Peace”

With every piece of hardware which has a design for warefare use parked in a municipal lot, control (unhealthy ego) takes another dangerous step against its citizens. The at-home threat of terrorism is real. And just around the corner, figuratively and literally.

1 Like

If you’re a person of color living in a “stand your ground” state every day could very well be the day that you are publicly executed - legally. So long as the perpetrator has the good sense to avoid cameras and large crowds. Quite frankly, if possible one should move out of those states.

The laws as written are quite terrifying - here’s arizona’s:

13-405. Justification; use of deadly physical force

A. A person is justified in threatening or using deadly physical force against another:

1. If such person would be justified in threatening or using physical force against the other under section 13-404, and

2. When and to the degree a reasonable person would believe that deadly physical force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the other’s use or attempted use of unlawful deadly physical force.

B. A person has no duty to retreat before threatening or using deadly physical force pursuant to this section if the person is in a place where the person may legally be and is not engaged in an unlawful act.

Mass Media on Louisville are already broadcasting the police line that Breonna Taylor, who police murdered in her own bed as she slept, was engaged in drug dealing and (not to hard to read between the lines) the cops who killed her were heroes who did a public service.

ttps://www.wdrb.com/news/police-told-judge-suspected-drug-dealer-used-slain-emts-home-for-deliveries/article_be54f722-949d-11ea-ba00-2b05d63aa57c.html