Home | About | Donate

German Ambassador 1933: "Hostility to Jews Aimed Mainly at 'Immigrants'"

German Ambassador 1933: "Hostility to Jews Aimed Mainly at 'Immigrants'"

Juan Cole

Here are two newspaper articles from spring, 1933. They concern the issue of early Nazi policy toward Germany’s Jews. In the first, the German ambassador to the UK maintains that the issue isn’t Jews but Immigrants. In the second, it is clear that only a few weeks later German Jews with citizenship were nevertheless being forced out. Those Jewish residents of Germany with other passports or with no citizenship (like the Palestinians of today) were facing special problems.

Thanks to Juan Cole for the link to the "Nansen" passport !

I've read Nansen's "Farthest North" and I have a hardcopy of his rectorial address at St. Andrew's University.

In these dark times, I think a re-read of this document may be helpful.

Here is one passage, and the link to the full address follows:

"The first great thing is to find yourself, and for that you need solitude and contemplation, at least sometimes. I tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing, noisy centres of civilisation. It will come from the lonely places! The great reformers in history have come from the lonely places..!"

http://nansen-tolkien.co.uk/Adventure%20and%20other%20Papers.html

Ever since Trump announced his candidacy in June 2015 the media, GOP and Democrats' did not take him as seriously as they should have, tantamount to British PM Neville Chamberlain appeasing Hitler.

Congressional Democrat Keith Ellison was one of the few exceptions, raising red flags early on but being laughed at by the media and political establishments. Ellison also recognized that running Clinton in the November election would play into Trump's hand.

Unless Ellison becomes DNC Chairman, there is no chance that the Democratic Party will become the opposition party needed to counter the Trump/Pence/Ryan agenda that will give us all the evils of the Third Reich, plus even more gutted infrastructure and "domestic programs". Not to mention that the trains still won't run on time..

Those that do not learn from history will be fated to repeat it!

Our allowances of "breathing room" encompasses any country that opposed our version of globalization and failure to adopt religious sects that kept populations in mental bondage. Poles, like Muslims today were on the early hit lists.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_policy_of_Nazi_Germany#Policies_regarding_Poles.2C_Russians_and_other_Slavs

The past is prolonged

And what more ignorant fools are there than Republicans.

Unfortunately, the Trumpistas don't like all that learnin' and readin' stuff. They like to act first and think later, if at all!

As Faulkner said, "It isn't even past".

Sigh and what really makes this situation worse is that the US turned away 900+ Jewish people on a ship.
Disgraceful AMERICA!!

Juan Cole has done a great service drawing parallels between Trump and Hitler. At the very least we should be aware of such similarities. Of course there are tremendous differences between the US now and Germany in the 1930s. The US is a multicultural country with about a third of the population, over 100 million people, being racial minorities while Germany has almost an all white population and a much smaller country. Also the US has states which have a degree of sovereignty whereas Germany, I think, had only a federal government with sovereignty. The US also has had a tradition of democracy that has lasted for about 240 years. The US also has government with three separate branches and a checks and balance system. I don't know anything about NGOs in Germany but the US has many large national NGOs that are focused on various issues. And of course Germany did not have the Internet which in the US in a way has fractured the population into various groups and it permits rapid organizing for protests. There was also no TV in Germany. It must have been much easier for the Nazis to control information than would be possible in the US.