Home | About | Donate

'Get Our Country Off Fossil Fuels': Demanding Green New Deal, Youth Climate Leaders to Flood Congressional Offices Nationwide

'Get Our Country Off Fossil Fuels': Demanding Green New Deal, Youth Climate Leaders to Flood Congressional Offices Nationwide

Jake Johnson, staff writer

A week after staging a sit-in at the Capitol Hill office of House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) to demand that the Democratic Party throw its support behind a Green New Deal, young climate leaders are planning to flood congressional offices nationwide on Tuesday to continue pressuring lawmakers to take the b

1 Like

There, you see? Your vote did matter! This is what we need from Leadership, like the kind we had when we entered into WW2. A total shift in the focus of our country. We have a date with destiny.

3 Likes

To convert our society to a “safe” level of greenhouse gases would not only involve switching to different energy sources, but also cutting back substantially on deforestation. Not only is our current “leadership” not up to the task, but even if they were, it’s likely that there’s not TIME to make the necessary changes. In September the UN Secretary General announced that “runaway” is likely to begin in 2 years, which translates to “our goose is cooked.” Or with Thanksgiving coming up, “our turkey . . . .”

3 Likes

10 whole dems signing on to support forming a committee is a date with the status quo.

2 Likes

Ten whole dems- the whole party is corrupt and a loser game.

1 Like

The Green New Deal is a good start, but fails to acknowledge that human population growth is driving anthropogenic mass extinction, and that solar, wind, nuclear, etc. can never replace the foundational role that fossil fuels play in the world economy and grid.
It’s going to take a lot more than electric cars, solar panels, etc. to fix a world economy and human culture based on relentless human population and consumption growth that views all organisms and the biosphere itself as fodder for human use.

6 Likes

You start with nullifying Citizen’s United, then you immediately pass legislation that would make it illegal for fossil fuel companies to influence elections in any way, including donating vast sums of money to campaigns. Nothing will be done if this doesn’t happen. Then you work on building an infrastructure that would quickly wean us off oil and gas and coal. The only recourse for those companies would be to take advantage of their vast wealth and help build whatever we need for this transition, necessary for their survival and ours. Sounds complicated but we have no other choice. Unfortunately, money has already corrupted too many in power and my scenario is unlikely.

4 Likes

Or, you _could_look at this as, now that the Solar Industry has grown large enough to supplant 10 nuclear plants, they can be taken off line. Meanwhile, the Solar Industry will continue to grow. ___

4 Likes

the House Demecrats are beig beseeched in so many ways, but remember their majority cannot get their bills passed into law unless Republicans in the Senate and Whte House agree. So that has led to varying demands and strategies - pass feel-good legislation that is strong (from varying priorities including this Green New Deal, medicare for all, student loan reform, campaign finance reform, DACA, protect Muller…) but won’t have a chance in Senate, or, work with Republicans to find enough common ground that might marginally improve things (e.g. infrastructure, opioids) but what they actually can do bedsides blocking bad bills is use investigative power to actually investigate Trump regime abuses (in Interior, Education, Trump’s taxes, voter suppression, Yemen/Saudi atrocities…) I’d put the emphasis for now on the investigation powers

1 Like

I am wondering why the Common Dreams writer didn’t mention the fact that the Green Party of the United States launched a campaign for a Green New Deal back in 2010. Is it because they are ignorant of that fact or some other reason?

2 Likes

DougE, Authoritarianism is Not the answer.

1 Like

Natural Gas and Oil are made deep inside the Earth. They do not come from dead fossils. Rockefeller found that calling oil from Earth as fossil oil would increase profits. By the way, in the last two years, Global Temperature has dropped 0.3 degrees Celsius. Sorry I cannot insert a Graph of Global Temperature or give you a link.

That’s actually funny yet pathetic that only 10 people support this. Pelosi needs to go as she will never give her support for this. She’s in Bed with big Oil and Fosdil filth and no better than the rest of them on both sides. All the top dogs need to be harassed every day with no let up. They… are putting Our lives at stake… we must return the favor!

Yes. It would take a good effort at a green new deal, and a serious look at population and getting it into the conversation more often (something to counter Trump’s mind numbing quotes on how he likes Scala for his reproductive prowess), and some move on lifestyle (the A in I = P A T) including a lot less animal agriculture. It may take nuclear too and I’m not willing to rule out new gen IV reactors as well as fusion research from the money we spend in addition to a green new deal.

But I see no good reason to criticize a green new deal on the lines of it isn’t enough by itself. Seems like pointless bickering. Ask long as money is spent wisely it will augment whatever else we can do.

@Tom_King, I agree that attribution by Democrats that the Greens were there first would be nice (if they aren’t doing it now).

Ocasio-Cortez seems to have quite a relationship with MSM for a congressman-elect, and I don’t mean just CD. I hope it turns out to be a good thing.

Not to mention the plastics.

1 Like

If the March of Dimes, a nonprofit, could run the research that stopped polio in the U.S., could Congress prevent a chronic reduction in world food production?

Will Congress displace the fossil fuel industry? They’d rather lie about it.

Will “rich people” solve climate change? Only in certain spots where they know they’ll make lots of money.

I request self-heating houses, renewable electricity after dark, a new type of transit system and a remedy for the Arctic meltdown which is now in progress.

Sorry for the confusion, but I didn’t imply that we would immediately stop using fossil fuels. We will need them for thousands of applications. But my question to you is why would you not want our endangered civilization to find solutions to this crisis as quickly as possible? Or do you think the money they make is more important than our lives?

They come from Ancient Sunlight that has been stored under the Earth for a reason .She says leave it there.
Please be responsible and use Current Sunlight .