Home | About | Donate

'Get Your Knee Off Our Necks': On 57th Anniversary of Historic Civil Rights Rally, Tens of Thousands March on Washington

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/08/28/get-your-knee-our-necks-57th-anniversary-historic-civil-rights-rally-tens-thousands

1 Like

Friday also marks the 65th anniversary of the torture and murder of 14-year-old Emmett Till, whose killing helped galvanize the civil rights movement.

Emmett Till’s lynching was long before my time, but 65 years ;later, may I ask…HAS ANYTHING REALLY CHANGED? BLACK LIVES STILL DO NOT MATTER!

3 Likes

I can’t believe this. I subscribe to a dozen or more more-or-less progressive web sites and check them all daily, often several times, participated in two rallies for USPS in the past seven days (one of them 30 miles from home), and I subscribe to the Sunday edition of a fair-sized metropolitan paper, and this is the first I have heard of this action. Has it been mentioned previously on CD?

What happened to the “small government” mantra of the market libertarians and their imbecile spawn? The fact that government today has more power to crush the individual, crush the family and community – the fact that civil liberties today are pulverized into historical dust – betrays the utter hypocrisy of the ones who drove the narrative and peddled all that horseshit. Truth is, market libertarianism – and neoliberalism, and supply-side economics, and Thatcherism, and all the gilded turds swirling around the Chicago School toilet – were scams from the outset… scams designed to dispossess the masses and enrich the ruling classes. They were never anything more than flavored coatings on industrial suicide pills, administered by depraved nihilists wearing white smocks. They were never anything more than Trojan Horses for fascism, for a one-party dictatorship of Capital.

2 Likes

Hmmm, why don’t you tell us what you REALLY think ;-)! Yes; more later.

Sadly 50,000 for a day isn’t enough. We need 500,000 for weeks on end.
I know, easier said than done. But we need to think bigger.

1 Like

I’m a bit puzzled by the lack of coverage of a near identical cop shooting black man incident in Lafayette Louisiana just a week before the Wisconsin slaying.
Lafayette was a one day news item. Why I wonder.

1 Like

Yes, we had more than that for all but possibly the last protest against the invasion of Iraq, one of them drawing around 100,000. But crowds all over Europe and elsewhere were larger still. Both the public and the misleaders themselves have become inured, so to have much effect your figure of 500,000 is probably just about right, and highly unlikely.

The “small government” mantra has been around at least since Adam Smith’s day. His Inquiry (into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations) was published in 1776, an easy date to remember. It always meant “no government ‘interference’ in markets,” as he himself said, or in today’s parlance, “no regulations” to thwart rapacious capitalists. War was always good business. E. I. du Pont de Nemours made his
fortune selling gunpowder to the US government in the early 1800s. As for the gilded turds–well, yes, it has always been all of a piece.

I made a comment during the Minnesota protest marches I’d like to revisit. If law enforcement would march on the sides of protest marches they could protect protesters and be in position to contain the crowd at the same time. They would also have a better vantage point to watch for rioting or vandalism.
Something about marching side by side with the police seems to me to be a good thing.

1 Like

I’ve heard many comments about police violence and brutality. Every ojne I’ve heard on the major news channels do blame Trump, but only with some version of “he encourages an atmosphere of racism.”

But I blame him directly. He made a public statement to law enforcement officers that we must have forgotten, but I’m sure some police have NOT forgotten. He GAVE THEM PERMISSION to commit violence on arrestees. The racist ones tucked it into their bag of tricks to use against our Black brothers and sisters. They all need to be hanged.

Remember this from the Huffington post?

> President [Donald Trump] received applause on Friday when he endorsed police brutality while delivering a speech to law enforcement officers on Long Island, New York.
**> **
> The president suggested that officers should hit suspects’ heads on the doors of their police cars.
**> **
> “When you see these towns and when you see these thugs being thrown into the back of a paddy wagon, you just see them thrown in, rough, and I said, ‘Please don’t be too nice,’” Trump said.
**> **
> “Like when you guys put somebody in the car and you’re protecting their head, you know, the way you put their hand over, like, don’t hit their head and they’ve just killed somebody, don’t hit their head, I said, ‘You can take the hand away, OK?’” he added.
**> **
> His remarks received significant applause.

So let’s place the blame squarely and directly where it belongs, not on Trump’s “encouragement of an atmosphere of racism” but on his god-damned words offered happily from his hateful soul. It’s time the main-stream media and law-enforcement supervision got REALLY tough with Trump.

1 Like