Home | About | Donate

Give Me A Break: When Darth Vader Has the Moral High Ground

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/further/2021/01/03/give-me-break-when-darth-vader-has-moral-high-ground

2 Likes

I vote your opinion pieces be positioned more prominently.

6 Likes

ONE BLEEPIN’ COMMENT ON THE BEST NEWS WE’VE HAD IN AT LEAST FOUR YEARS–AND THE MOST DAMNING OF THE ACTIONS OF THE RENEGADE REPUBLICANS WHOSE “TAIL” WE HAVE ALLOWED TO WAG US FOR ALL THIS TIME isallthereisbecauseCDdemandspropergrammarincludingnoincompletesentences?!?

4 Likes

Trump missed his true calling. He shoulda been a ditch digger.

3 Likes

Abby, you’re the best therapy money can’t buy. LOVE you

2 Likes

More like a grave digger.

2 Likes

Meadows and someone from the WH counsels office were also on the call so one would think that Trump and these two bozos can be charged with at least conspiracy, a much easier crime to prove. If Biden’s pick for AG doesn’t go after these seditionists by COB on Jan 21, he/she should be fired as well.

6 Likes

All true in that Trump is clearly a criminal. However nothing will be done about it, beyond some low level tax evasion investigations, just for the look of it. Biden will not go against his corporate handlers by actually allowing justice to be served.

7 Likes

There must be more to this than we know right now. Those 11,000+ votes in GA. were not going to be enough to change anything if Trump had been successful, he knows that. We have the GA. evidence, I suggest investigators look towards the other contested states, and interview their Sec. of States for more conspiracy, bribery, threats, etc., that can be added to the evidence if/when a trial(s) comes from these illegal acts, even if it’s only at the state(s) level.

4 Likes

It’s probably just Trump’s ego. It was bad enough to lose the election, but he needs to cling to some tatters of prestige, so he makes one last pointless stand, hoping they will give it to him to make him shut up.

That and it must be especially galling to have lost Georgia. That state was supposed to be a freeby.

2 Likes

You may be right, but I still think it’s worth investigating.

3 Likes

That was just an explanation of Trump’s likely motive.
In no way does it excuse his behavior.

2 Likes

One poor Michigan civilian had her phone number published as belonging to a Michigan state election supervisor on a Trump memo to his thugs. Immediately, she was overwhelmed by calls. Even though she kept telling the bozos it was a wrong number, they kept calling. And calling. And calling. To the point the phone’s circuits burned out. Another reason I refuse to get a Dumbphone.
Meanwhile…in the real world, Covid is claiming its due. We have vaccines, but the criminals We The People elected to represent us for the common good have done NOTHING to formulate a rapid response team to get those shots into arms. NADA! So people continue to die, our health care workers are ready to quit en masse, and then what???
Reagan and Buchanan and the rest of the assholes who came up with Economic Liberty and Voodoo Economics and Personal Responsibility are laughing in hell. We never would have made it into space as a government effort if they’d been in charge.
As for that phone call…it was 55 minutes too long. You can’t reason with a madman. It should have been “Let me see if I understand, Mr. Trump. You want me to find over 11,000 votes for you even though they don’t exist, and, if I don’t, you are threatening me? Is that correct?” " Ranting for a minute or two. Once again, “If so, then my next call will be to the FBI and to the Georgia State Police to investigate these actions as election fraud and extortion. Goodbye, Mr. Trump. Oh, I’m not afraid of your Tweets or Proud Boys, so save your rage.”

4 Likes

What happens when you…“look forward”. DOH. Obama PROMISED to prosecute war crimes and to close Guantanamo in the first 100 days. Uhuh. Then the CIA destroyed evidence right in front of the press and the press bowed down and said nothing!NOTHING. We gave Cheney the welcome he deserved here in Vancouver in 2011. He was shocked!Shocked I tell you. That Canadians were calling for his arrest. But the facts are?If he steps down in ANY of the 147 countries who are members of the treaty that outlaws torture?He should be?ARRESTED. He has proclaimed and boasted about his crimes in books and in video, so this is not even a question! Fortunately for the dick we had our own wee mini-bush at the time in the form of the Harper Creature who refused to follow the law.
However, he did cancel his planned visit to Toronto!Why?He said…wait for it…“Canadians are dangerous”(SIC). No, but we do know the law and so does the rest of the world!That MOFO has been tried in absentia and found GUILTY. He was the first with the FAKE NEWS and alternative facts eh?America!!Its NOT “enhanced interrogation”!!!It IS TORTURE! STILL a war crime for which there is NO statute of limitations!Drumpf is what you get when you say “look forward”.
Okay?It’s akin to this. I shoot a man right in front of a cop!then I say…“But officer, can’t we all just look forward?”…um nope!
He hid!In the Vancouver Club…for SIX HOURS during that demo! but we knew!He could hear us…and our chants, which ring as true as ever!
"Arrest Dick Cheney!Arrest Dick Cheney!Arrest Dick Cheney!" And by the way he could be pardoned! It’s not personal and it’s not about vengeance. It IS about?THE LAW. And until they[the GWBush Cabal, Bush, Rice, Yoo et al!] are charged!Tried!and convicted!There is…wait for it…
NO RULE OF LAW IN AMERICA.= FACT.
TRUTH?Hurts!

5 Likes

Donnie Two Scoops, a criminal and a colossal idiot. Yup.
As my dear neighbor opined yesterday, “It’s time to get out the straightjacket or just shoot him.”

3 Likes

I don’t understand why der trump is so obsesses with a “win” in GA, it wouldn’t make any difference. For what it’s worth, I think he’s afraid to lose in a white supremacist state to “those” people of color. It’s a racist thing, so of course it doesn’t make any sense

1 Like

As usual, Nancy is busy protecting her bff Trump. The phone call took place on Saturday, the transcript and the recording were available worldwide on Sunday, and as of Tuesday afternoon, the House has not impeached Trump.

A criminal indictment usually requires prima facie evidence of a crime. The recording provides that - and much more. The planet has as many as 8,000,000,000 aural witnesses to this crime. Playing the entire recording before the House of Representatives would take one hour and a vote would take only a few more hours because of covid-19 restrictions on the House floor. What - or who - is blocking the desperately needed remedial action?

We know how McConnell will handle an impeachment, and that’s just fine because the country needs to see how the Republicans will protect an enemy of democracy.

I expect Nancy to issue a statement blah-blahing that impeachment is unnecessary because Trump’s term will end in two weeks and because the Senate doesn’t have the votes to convict. Such irrelevant claims don’t justify inaction.

By doing nothing, Pelosi sets a precedent that election tampering is acceptable, that no Presidential crime is big enough to punish, and that she believes Nixon’s assertion that “When the President does it, it’s not illegal.”

Nancy is even outdoing the contemptible Gerald Ford. Ford’s pardon of Nixon came after the House Judiciary Committee had voted out articles of impeachment and of necessity after Nixon’s resignation. Nancy is giving Trump a pre-emptive pass by squelching any action on impeachment. She won’t even risk embarrassing Trump.

Call your Critter now and demand an impeachment!!

Edit:

P.S. - Immediately after posting this comment, I realized what Nancy is doing. We all know that the 2022 election will be a Republican landslide, and most of us understand that the DP establishment is part of the scheme. Recall that the DP establishment preferred to lose with Biden rather than win with Bernie. Pelosi is just trying to get a head start on pissing off the left wing of the Democratic Party and the leftist independents that bring Democrats to power. Who wants a small landslide when you can generate a big one by alienating everyone?!

6 Likes

As I commented on another thread…

Good point, but the precedent. If Georgia falls, then they all fall under the relentlessness and collective fervor of the right-wing ding-bats. If Georgia was a cheat then so are the rest, I can hear it now. All day every day. Until they win. The left always concedes.

2 Likes

If O’Bummer had done his job in 2009 and prosecuted Cheney (and Haspel, Prince, Yoo and many other War Crim­inals), it’s quite possible that he might not have lost Congress to the 'Poop-Lickans in 2010, and we might not have Tweetle-Dumb in the White House today.  And (assuming democracy survives January 6, 2021) if O’Bummer’s aco-
lyte Biden and the senile stooge P’Loser don’t prosecute Tweetle-Dumb & Co. – ALL OF THEM – then these same scenarios will play out again in 2022 and 2024, and next time the results will be even worse.

5 Likes

The bigger story here is that the actual moral high ground is left vacant enough for the likes of Trump to aspire to.

Apparently it is no longer possible to both participate in government and make some attempt to do things right or well.

4 Likes