Home | About | Donate

'Give Me Your tired and Your Poor... Who Can Stand on Their Own Two Feet': Trump Administration Re-Writes Statue of Liberty Greeting

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/13/give-me-your-tired-and-your-poor-who-can-stand-their-own-two-feet-trump

NPR is a center-right mouthpiece which sometimes airs segments that don’t jump out as such. Giving this mook free airtime fits the NPR MO very well. Another Trump “acting” official unable to be confirmed, even with a Senate hearing. “Fresh Air” my ass.

5 Likes

And more importantly, not organize unions like the previous tired poor immigrants did in the 1880s to the 1930s.

11 Likes

The Statue of Liberty has a difficult time standing on her own feet ever since the US fascists came into power…

3 Likes

I gave up on National Privatized Radio and the Petroleum Broadcasting System a long time ago especially when I saw how they were kowtowing to the demands of corporate America and changing their programming in fear that Congress would defund them. I remember watching the PBS station in San Francisco over the years. In the end they had filled up their Saturday programming schedule with cooking shows that went on all day long. Very safe programming which became more and more the standard. That is a relinquishing of the duty they had to provide comprehensive programming under the terms of the charter for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.

4 Likes

Trump wants it to read: Give us your rich, your tax-dodgers, your pedophiles, your con-men, your liars, your racists, your polluters and coal barons. And oh, make sure they are all lily white.

3 Likes

A hand up is not a handout. A program or an act of benevolence is an investment in our sustainability.

3 Likes

I had a run-in with the local NPR branch WNYC, years ago, always mentioning “left-leaning” this or that group crap. Funny I don’t remember them ever mentioning “right-leaning” anything. I had conversations and wrote and they said they “got it”, but went right back damn quick to their slanted anti progressive rot and guest propagandists. I never listened again only to non-commercial classical and the great Fordham WFUV

1 Like

You can’t make these things up. Ominous.

1 Like

This is another obvious example of the trump regimes racism and bigotry, among all its other hideous agenda actions and odious players serving wealth and power over truth and honesty.

They apparently do not - will not - recognize the people who came here seeking refuge or a better life who contributed to our society far beyond the shallow ignorant racist blather of cuccinelli to “stand on their own feet”. The multitude who came here with little or nothing and contributed in one way or another - often in ways not obvious to history - far beyond the entirety of trump and all his cabinet of despicable scum, including the execrable racist tool cuccinelli!

2 Likes

Amerika needs to replace the old Statue of Liberty with a new one that shows Lady Liberty holding a gun instead of a torch with tears running down her cheeks.

1 Like

The guy’s name is Cuccinelli. Does he have any grasp of American history?

2 Likes

This entire corrupted, pedophiliac, murderous and rotten government must also be replaced and the sooner the better for all humanity and the environment.

make no mistake, they will absolutely use the expanded “public charge” category to go after US citizens eventually too.

3 Likes

The right wing “will…use the expanded ‘public charge’ category to go after US citizens eventually too.”

Yup - the attack on immigrant rights is the wedge issue of a greater attack on rights. Penalizing immigrants who use public services and drug testing anyone for unemployment benefits (both reported in CD in the last few days) belong to a greater shift to “illiberal democracy” in the US and elsewhere.

“Twenty years ago, [CNN’s Fareed Zakaria ] wrote an essay in Foreign Affairs titled “The Rise of Illiberal Democracy.” His thesis was that democracies around the world were surrendering to illiberal reforms, and that the strands holding the traditions of democracy and liberalism together were rapidly eroding.”

1 Like

We’re missing one vital point here. When the Statue of Liberty was erected, the very remnants of the Indigenous peoples displaced by immigrants were being forced off their ancestral lands to allow these new people to take over. In a way, it’s a symbol of settler genocide. Alas, I cannot find the title or the author of a recent book about this subject, how this method has been used worldwide by a small group of adventurers who are out for their own enrichment and use shock troops composed of the poor and who have a culture of bloody warfare. So, no matter what the wording is of the poem, it still represents a celebration of the destruction of one civilization by another one.

3 Likes

It’s about time we instituted a merit based immigration policy. We’ve got enough people on the dole in the US without importing more from other countries.

1 Like

Attached article does not contradict your “in a way…symbol of settle genocide” view, though I think it does complicate it, pointing up how the dominant, post-Reconstruction political forces appropriated the image of liberty.

The article notes African Americans rejected the statue’s anachronistic, celebratory message after Reconstruction had been undermined…I wonder if any Native American voices of the time said the same thing…or if the greater indigenous culture had been so decimated that there were no political or intellectual leaders to protest…

(The book…was it Dunbar-Ortiz’s “Loaded”…which I’ve only read reviews of?)

1 Like

What’s especially troubling is all those corporate “people” who remain on the dole. If we stopped subsidizing them, we could easily afford Medicare for All, a Green New Deal, free education for all from pre-K through post-doc, and a slew of other public benefits that the Kochroaches and their ilk would rather we actual people not have—because we’re, like, undeserving or something.

3 Likes

Yeah, Black American citizens; Hispanic American citizens; and then Progressive American citizens like the four brave, Congressional women!

1 Like