Home | About | Donate

Glacier National Park Stonefly One Step Closer to Protection Under Endangered Species Act

Glacier National Park Stonefly One Step Closer to Protection Under Endangered Species Act

For Immediate Release, September 9, 2015 Contact: Noah Greenwald, (503) 484-7495, ngreenwald@biologicaldiveristy.org Glacier National Park Stonefly One Step Closer to Protection Under Endangered Species Act GLACIER NATIONAL PARK, Mt. - The Center for Biological Diversity reached a settlement today with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in which the agency agreed to make a decision by Sept. 30, 2016 about Endangered Species Act protections for the western glacier stonefly. The stonefly is found only in Glacier National Park and is immediately threatened with extinction by melting glaciers caused by global warming. The Center filed a petition to protect the stonefly in 2010, and in 2011 the Service determined that Endangered Species Act protection may be warranted.

###

Somewhere out there in some seemingly insignificant creature or rare plant is the secret of eternal youth or the cure for cancer developed by nature over hundreds of thousands if not millions of years and we lose it to build a parking lot or a golf course.

I have photo's of the park taken by my Grandmother in 1911, they are treasure's to me...but...maybe...I ought to donate them. Years ago I tried donating them to the Park, got no answer. I tried the Blackfoot Tribe, got no answer. We still are failing at remembering history and what is included in the history, from the ant to the mountain top. Inclusion. It's not a theory as Einstein thought. It just is.