Home | About | Donate

Global Climate Movement Celebrates as Ireland Set to Become First Country to Fully Divest From Fossil Fuels

That’s very true. I keep my house at about 80-85F in the summer time. I have a hard time when I go into a refrigerated building. Your body really does adapt.

Rather than working to outlaw airconditioning, we could do as Japan did. That is: set minimum temperatures for public buildings. I think Japan set their minimum at 80F. They said that it took them awhile to get used to it but they learned to wear appropriate clothing for the heat and that spawned developments in the clothing industry to meet these new demands. Ultimately, everyone adapted and gets along fine with it. Anyone crying about the heat is just being a baby. Now Japan saves a lot of money since they aren’t using as much energy to unnecessarily refrigerate their public buildings.

However, yesterday the cooling system in our public health dept broke down and the building got up to 90F. Someone did faint. So they sent us all home and closed the building till they could get it fixed. There’s more I could say on this but I need to go for now. Read up on Japan’s experience.

Commercial buildings are an interesting issue when regarding heat, summer or winter.
They will almost always require some sort of mitigation that accounts for heat generating computers, lights, window placement etc. as well as difficulty in airflow in a complex structure.

One very useful thing about properly sized air conditioning is humidity control. The temps can stay higher than first thought of as comfortable if the humidity can be dropped properly. Sometimes the HVAC systems are over sized. That can drop the temperature too quickly to allow for proper humidity control resulting in a dank environment. Properly sized is best but this is a case where undersized is better than over sized.

As in almost everything, thoughtful design is super important.

Irish always discussed “politics” and “religion” –
something which those in the US were taught to avoid.

Fortunately, the power of the RCC in Ireland has largely been overturned.
Meanwhile, we seem to be under the thumb here of what’s left of “Christian” male-supremacist religion.

My mother is from Ireland, with a family farm located in the western county of Mayo.
When we would go there for a summer, my uncle and his older sons would cut blocks of peat from the bog they owned and it was used to heat the old house, cook, etc. It scars the land, and does not renew as quickly as it is exhumed, so maybe that is the reason the country also wants to move away from peat.

Thanks for the anecdote.

But again, it fails to address my original question: how is Ireland’s sovereign wealth fund—which the article said would be divested from fossil fuels—invested in peat?

I have read that they have mechanized peat cutting. I think I have read of electrical plants located next to peat cutting operations.

As far as 350.org is concerned, burning anything is bad. You do notice the implication, the consequence of that thinking = a considerable reduction in standard of living. But it is for the sake of a livable planet.

I believe you are mistaken. I doubt they have replaced transport or home-heating with all-electric yet or all wool-blankets yet.

I have heard some eco-types advocate for China’s one-child policy. We can do it here! Actually, Russia and Japan have a head-start on China, and are depopulating without government policy forcing it.

Remove the transport, and not only will cities reorganized themselves around foot-traffic, but they will depopulate as the population must relocate to the farm and take up farming in order to survive. Much like what happened to Europe at the start of the Dark Ages.

Divesting from the fossil fuel energy industry is easy. It has symbolic and attitudinal ‘value’.

Climate Activists will have more cause for glee and celebration when governments adopt plans to reduce (total) energy use (and population), when their populations wholeheartedly buy into it and bend their efforts to doing it, and when they start to see results.

Imagine a world with far fewer people. … living in harmony (or closer so, with each other and with nature).

China designs streets to handle buses and builds bus stops. Licenses buses on city made routes to individuals to hire and collect funds.
China has each neighborhood with an open air facility of concrete tables and a roof, for the purpose of selling home grown or individually procured fresh produce. Every neighborhood also has a little doctor’s office, convenience store and pharmacy.
I’m NOT saying that China does everything right, just sharing some ideas.

We did do it here. Native born in the U.S. are reproducing at below replacement levels.

Much cheaper housing in America is badly needed. Pay through the nose defines this nation being ripped off from every angle just to put a roof over your head. Talk about obscene, the gouging is way past that. Air conditioning is the least of the worries. Without it 15 million people would flee from Florida. Yay!!

Depopulating the Middle East and Africa is happening. Although the cause is partly civil conflict, weather and high birth rate play a part in limiting water, raising tensions, and hurting agricultural conventions. If temps rise faster, as is likely according to some, depopulation will happen, voluntarily. Wouldn’t it be nice to work on incentives instead of civil conflict and panic?

Good point, ajo,

I noticed that the petroleum industry did not get a mention in the article. But it will go eventually, perhaps by 2050.

I did not know that until I read your reply. We always hear negative things about China. I wish we would hear both positive & negative things here in the USA & abroad.