Home | About | Donate

Global Effort to Plant a Trillion Trees 'Overwhelmingly' Among Most Effective—and Cheapest—Solutions to Climate Emergency: Study

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/07/05/global-effort-plant-trillion-trees-overwhelmingly-among-most-effective-and-cheapest

2 Likes

You’re leaving out an important political detail. Much of the land available for reforestation is grassland that is currently being used for cattle farming. This industry would fight any planned reforestation of these lands to the death, with the support of governments they control.

5 Likes

I would like to think this is a great idea. I just hope it doesn’t turn out like the Army Corp of Engineers restroation of wetlands. I am skeptical of humans trying to imitate nature. Plus here they are cutting down trees, not watering them to conserve water, and producing vast monocultures. I won’t even speak about who is caring for these trees.

4 Likes

Oh no, a tree hugger’s solution. Will that fly in a repug administration? We are smart enough to plant the right trees in the right places and at the right time. Only greed could halt such a reasonable endeavor.

4 Likes

From the article:

“…a rapid global effort to plant billions of trees and the restoration of forests would be the ‘most effective’ strategy for battling the planetary climate emergency.”

As I’ve been saying for years, with the addition of many hectares of hemp. The Earth’s ability to heal itself is powerful, if we’d only get out of its way (yes, Jair Bolsonaro, I’m looking at you).

8 Likes

Excellent point. We would be using restoration to fix something that been altered, to heal a wound. Hemp might be a good salve. The thing is the earth knows how to heal itself, we could just stop the assault, either way it will take a long time.

2 Likes

WOW The Hoedads CoOp will be booming!

http://www.hoedadsonline.com/

I looked into working with them in the early 70’s but a job came up at Sacred Heart Hospital (Eugene) so I took that instead. I had friends that planted with them on and off.

4 Likes

I am a retired reforestation seedling farmer.

This is an ideal business for small family farms under contract.

Corporations prefer to clear the Amazon after overthrowing a protective democracy and installing a pervert.

12 Likes

Is it possible to eke out a living at 30 cents per tree? I’m serious and looking for a career move. Thanks.

2 Likes

Forget politics. Politics is a symptom of the collective consciousness of the planet descending into Hell.
Just start planting trees on your own . My family just planted a few hundred trees on our property in sweden. Some of our friends there bought many acres adjacent to their house to protect from further clear cutting . We joined their efforts in establishing a private nature preserve in that area.
Go outside right now and plant some trees anywhere . Don’t tell anyone . tend to them in secret if it’s on public land .just do it.

7 Likes

Working with the hoedads is for the young. It’s really hard work. But it will put you in great shape (mind and body)

1 Like

I was going to say: dont we already have something like this called the "
Amazon"?

Only if you plant about 10,000 trees at that price. And if you live somewhere like south america, africa etc. where the cost of living is cheap.

2 Likes

Not everything needs to be on a gigantic scale . If everybody on the planted planted one tree today and another one as soon as possible and on and on , we would soon have a lot of external natural beauty and a lot of subtle or not so subtle experiences of connectedness to our host , Earth.
No yeah but’s , no what ifs , just get a seedling or something bigger and plant it in your yard or someone else’s yard if they agree.

3 Likes

Need to have a movement to convert all golf courses to forests.

Peace.
ths.

8 Likes

The fossil fuel industry receives a lot of criticism these days, and rightfully so. But in the final analysis, we are the ones who support the energy industry and it is our standard of living that will need to change. So contemplate what you can do for the cause

Personal Actions

End our love affair with the automobile

Ride more trains and buses

Car pool

Walk and bike more

Turn off the air conditioner in the summer and dial the thermostat down in winter

Become vegetarians or vegans

Refill plastic water bottles with tap water

Discontinue using aluminum cans with and without carbonation

Maximize use of reusable bags and products

Recycle junk mail

Forego fast junk food

Go to “slow food”;

Recycle maximally, especially aluminum cans

Drive and accelerate more slowly

Climb more stairs

Plant more trees

Forego use of spray cans

Repair, mend and alter as much as possible

Buy solar panels

Compost as much as possible

Last person out of the room turn off the lights

Eat and farm organic

Fly fewer planes

Promote conference calls and web cams, fewer meetings

Use manual tools instead of power tools

Share more

Use rakes rather than leaf blowers

Decrease use of bottled water and refill plastic bottles with tap water

Maximize reusable bags and products

Push rather than power small mowers

Replace lawns with vegetable gardens

Stop fertilizing and mowing lawns

Compost as much as possible

Minimize use of disposables (Pampers);

Maximize high efficiency LED and solar powered lighting;

Limit endless gadgets

Use motion lighting, where appropriate

Decrease consumption

Limit family size

Local Government Actions

Reorganize cities, building taller residences with a smaller footprint (the end of suburbia)

Institute a carbon tax

Promote car pooling subsidize and expand mass transit

Expand bike paths

Have shareable (zip) cars

Ban electric outdoor signs;

Eat and farm organic

Eliminate approximately 50% of all street lighting and office lighting in unoccupied buildings

eliminate “fast junk food”; go to “slow food

replace

Federal Government Actions

Eliminate subsidies to fossil fuel corporations

Ban gasohol

Rein in the militaries for defense only and outlaw war

Further shrink nuclear arsenals and increase treaties

Discontinue night baseball

Promote making electronics, house wares, furniture, etc to be as durable and long-lived as possible

Promote recycling

Set standards for making appliances to be as energy efficient as possible

Discontinue single use aluminum cans

Ban electric outdoor signs

Subsidize solar and wind power;

Change from petroleum based fertilizers to regenerative agriculture

Reverse deforestation, plant more trees

Restrict spray cans

Promote zero population growth with free condoms and family planning world-wide

End yearly auto model changes;

Proscribe junk mail

Scrap the mission to Mars

Adjust tax laws to limit family size

9 Likes

I regret that I have but one upvote to give to that sentiment.

What say, you, Pwesident Twump—don’t you have a least one golf course to give, in the spirit of shared sacrifice??

3 Likes

We also need a massive switch to a vegetarian life style.

6 Likes

My knees and one hip are pretty shot from years of gardening on our little acreage so we have been letting the plots go to wildflowers for the birds bees and butterflies but we have been planting trees of many kinds in formerly open areas where the kids had their baseball volleyball et al.
Penn state extension we consulted advised us how and even came out to show us where and told us to plant a wide variety: fruit that doesn’t need a lot of care( we aren’t looking to feed ourselves much more for animals birds et al), nuts( we already have hickory and walnut and added a few more, flowering trees, and small indigenous understory trees like sassafras, sumac etc and not too many giant shade trees. I am puffed out to know we are actually doing the right thing!! Getting too creaky to hoe veggies doesn’t have to be the end !!!

9 Likes

We also need for most people to switch to a vegetarian lifestyle. It’s also healthier.

3 Likes