Home | About | Donate

Global Sea Level May Rise Faster Than Previously Projected, With 'Profound Consequences for Humanity'

Global Sea Level May Rise Faster Than Previously Projected, With 'Profound Consequences for Humanity'

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

A new study warning that rapidly melting ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctica may push global sea level rise beyond 7.8 feet by 2100 has elicited alarm about the "profound consequences for humanity" and cast doubt on past projections.

Ho hum. I’ve been reading articles with the exact same headlines for thirty-some years. I get it. We’re gonna be inundated, and it’s gonna suck. Wish I had more time to comment, but I’ve got to get into my internal combustion vehicle and go the Super-Save Mart down the block to get some lunch and a few snacks.

1 Like

You’re right. Why not just get into the ring with the world heavyweight boxing champ. You will be just fine and dandy for a few seconds.

2 Likes

For the love of money is the root of all sea-level rise…

1 Like

I’ll be long dead by then, but I’m betting my new postcard collection featuring captions like “Wish you were here, the water’s fine!” imposed on photoshopped images of coastal cities that are currently 20 miles inland will be big sellers in 2100.

In my will, I’m giving the profits to refugee protection charities.

2 Likes

Vehicle: check.
Super-Save Mart: check
Lunch: Here’s the thing. In 2010 the Russian wheat belt failed. Russia had enough food for itself but not for export. In the Arab world food prices skyrocketed and the poor couldn’t afford lunch, so they protested. It was called the Arab Spring. Syria has yet to settle down from that upheaval, after millions of displaced people and casualties.

Sea level rise is going to flood out many of the world’s great rice bowls with salt water. The Nile delta will be gone, as well as the Irrawaddy, the Mekong, all of Bangladesh…

So the answer for “lunch”, I’m afraid, is, “You’ll just have to buy something else other than food this time.”

6 Likes

Of course msm doesnt mention this but found this very interesting piece with compacted information:

http://discovermagazine.com/2018/jun/something-stirs

2 Likes

everything involved with the Climate Crisis is happening “Faster than previously projected”. We hear this on almost a weekly basis. So crap like Biden “looking for the middle ground” on this, is basically a suicidal position.

4 Likes

Good article.
Yea, more than sea level rise, it the micro critters in the permafrost that are the real worry. It won’t matter where you are, high ground or not.

2 Likes

Dang. I was thinking of moving north and building an igloo.
I think my other idea of building a semi underground yurt on a mountain side in the Ozarks is going to work far better.
But it’s a long drive to the nearest VA clinic. Just can’t win.

Biden’s going to off himself? Is it too late to buy tickets?

1 Like

Great, can we speed it up to drown the coasters before 2020?

Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
Followed by fault lines that cannot sit still.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dip shits.

I’ve a suggestion to keep you all occupied.
Learn to swim.

maybe this is cosmic justice for the human species that couldn’t and wouldn’t control its emissions, its numbers, its greed, we’ll go out not with a bang, not with a wimper, but a glug glug

LOL - Wishful thinking?

OK … suicidal Politically speaking

And I know that Big Pharma are not stressing new antibiotics, new anti-fungals or anti-virals because they cure things and do not make as much $$$$ as the ‘new’ insulins, heart failure drugs, cancer and the biologicals that cure nothing but you have to take them the rest of your life!
Most of the new drugs are in the family of an older drug in that their elemental formulas are similar so they just tweek a carbon or oxygen in one area and call it a new drug and say it’s safer or better but the science is rigged.
If you as a scientist work for a corporation you sign a non-disclosure agreement and can not publish anything you do on your own, you just pass it up the corporate ladder and they decide whether to publish and can change you outcome by playing with your numbers and you can’t say anything!
SO we will not be ready for what’s coming!

1 Like

re: scientists non-disclosure

My father was an electrical engineer (VP engineering and research) and worked for a punch press operation in Chicago. By the time he died he had generated about 40 patents for Laminations for transformers, electric motors. My father never owned one of them. They all went to the privately held corporation. that was their deal.