Home | About | Donate

'Go Home, Racists!': BLM Counterprotesters Shout Down White Nationalists in Stone Mountain, Georgia

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/08/15/go-home-racists-blm-counterprotesters-shout-down-white-nationalists-stone-mountain

4 Likes

It is sad to see a nation with such divisons and hatreds. Why can’t we work for the best for everyone. Why can’t we try to lift all boats. Whatever happened to the idea of a Great Society? And we find so little leadership in that direction from either of the major parties.

12 Likes

Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them.

• James Baldwin

I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain.

• James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.

• James Baldwin
13 Likes

Because exceptionalism is too deeply ingrained especially in the south. But there are militia groups all over. We dressed up as cowboys and Indians as kids, and even played army with web gear and stuff the ww2 vets brought home.

We grew up and stopped the role playing. But it appears there is a grown up version playing out. These idiots are claiming it is someone else other than their own right-wing-nuts to be alarmed about taking things over. Dumb shits.

I wish someone would ask these gunny’s who the fuck they think they can shoot at.

7 Likes

I kind of like the Will Rogers sayings.

2 Likes

A number of nations have had civil wars. Few them will remember those wars with pride for the next 200 + years. I can not think of any where the people play “dress up” and pretend they a member of the losing side so as to bring “honor to their cause”.

It pretty well isolated to the USA (Just as things like “Remember the Alamo”, “Remember the Maine” and “Pearl harbor day” are.)

7 Likes

I do too

The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office.

• Will Rogers

If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of Congress?

• Will Rogers

A fool and his money are soon elected.

• Will Rogers

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.

• Will Rogers

All I know is just what I read in the papers, and that's an alibi for my ignorance.

• Will Rogers

There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation.

The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

• Will Rogers

The more you observe politics, the more you've got to admit that each party is worse than the other.

• Will Rogers

Ten men in our country could buy the whole world and ten million can't buy enough to eat.

• Will Rogers

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people that they don't like.

• Will Rogers

The difference between death and taxes is death doesn’t get worse every time Congress meets.

• Will Rogers

I am not a member of any organized political party — I am a Democrat.

• Will Rogers

There are men running governments who shouldn’t be allowed to play with matches.

• Will Rogers
9 Likes

Yep, I hate 'em all…white nationalists, Nazis, BLM morons, all of them. Any one on the neo-left or neo right get’s my vote of hate, because fuck 'em.

Ever heard of “divide and conquer” strategy? Racists have been purposely dividing Americans by playing to fear forever.

1 Like

As the largest stone relief in the world, I wouldn’t want to see Stone Mountain destroyed for that reason.

As a despicable monument to the confederacy though, I wish there was some way we could just sell it to some white supremacist group and make it their problem in exchange for some cash.

“I can not think of any where the people play ‘dress up’ and pretend they are a member of the losing side so as to bring ‘honor to their cause’”.

Beautifully described. When I read your post, I realized why it is that I won’t play “The Night They Drove Ol’ Dixie Down” anymore on my guitar. Although Levon Helm and Robbie Robertson wrote a song that describes a perspective of one family in the South losing (which is somewhat of a skill to take on another’s perspective, I guess), your description of Southern folks fits this song’s imagined Southern family to a “T”. I won’t mourn the loss of humans–those who think it’s okay to own other humans. Humanity needs to become something bigger than how we’ve been and the sandblasting of that mountain can’t happen fast enough for me.

2 Likes

So you envision a world where racists hold hands with decent poeple and we all sing kumbaya together?

The common delusion of “a rising tide lifts all boats” is proven false by the simple concept of water tight integrity. Boats with holes in the hull do not float. There are quite a few holes in the hull of humanity.

the idea of a great society was trashed as soon as some started saying not just for white people!

we seem to be the dumbest nation. we should not become smarter for that reason?

In a technical note, I don’t think sandblasting will be very efficient. You could drill and pre-split the relief sculptures off the face with explosives but those half-barrel scars would be ugly. Gradual air hammering would be better, but that won’t produce a natural looking smooth weather stained granite face either. Maybe acid treatments to decompose the granite so you just see vague “ghosts” of the images - a simile to being relegated to fading historical memory.

What a snarky response to someone who thinks we need to work to get past our division.

2 Likes

Trump will be firing some one in charge of permits at Stone Mt Park tomorrow …

According to] the Associated Press , “right-wing groups led by an Arkansas group called Confederate States III% had applied for a permit to hold a rally in Stone Mountain Park,” but the permit was denied, leading the demonstrators to take to the city’s streets.

These were “fully armed” white extremists –

“We’re going to use the Second Amendment to protect the First amendment,” gun extremist in Stone Mountain, Georgia. These insurrectionists threatened in advance that there could be “bloodshed” today. The open carry of loaded handguns and long guns is legal in Georgia.

The opposing groups were loosely organized on both sides. The white nationalist demonstrators, who appeared to be far outnumbered, were seemingly composed of neo-Confederates and militia groups like the III% Security Force.

FrontLine Organization Working to End Racism. The group [said] on its Facebook page Saturday that the time for the Stone Mountain caved monument to be removed is long ovedue.

"We would like to thank the racists for bringing lots of Confederate flags for people to seize and burn, so many that people on Twitter are making jokes about ‘Six Flags Burned Over Georgia,’" the group wrote.

"While this pathetic showing should discourage them from showing up again for a while, as long as the carving still defaces the side of the mountain, these invasions are going to keep happening," the group added. "It needs to come down. The time is long past to #sandblaststonemountain."

Sometimes the problems are not all with those we identify as “the other” - or the enemy.

1 Like

Yea - ever hear of the John Lennon song “Imagine.” Would you understand the lyrics?

1 Like