An excellent article, Tom, but I, like so many commenters here, am surprised and saddened at your parroting the establishment meme that it was all bin Laden's fault. A controlled demolition takes much more effort and equipment than was to be had in a cave system on the other side of the world. However, thousands of engineers and technicians, physicists, etc. have already proved this beyond the shadow of a doubt so I'll not discuss it any further.
* When Bush was selected by the Supreme Court to be the appointed president, I wrote a prediction as to what would happen. It did.
* As an historian, I have looked at patterns that have been repeated over many years. What I saw, in essence, is a replay of the rise of the Third Reich in Germany in the last century. One difference is that Hitler was elected, though not as Fuehrer.
* Hitler had his Enabling Acts, written long before, then set aside until the time was ripe. The Neocons had the illegal, unconstitutional and misnamed Patriot Act waiting in the wings.
* Hitler had his rubber stamp Reichstag to approve his every command. The Executive has its rubber stamp Legislature to do the same for its demands.
* Hitler had his Reichstag fire (blamed on a Dutch Communist, but actually set by the SS) which allowed him to bring out his Enabling acts and remove the constitutional rights of the German People, for the duration of the emergency (which continued until a body was burned in the courtyard above the Fuehrer Bunker).
* The Executive had its 911, which allowed it to bring out the Patriot Act and remove many of the civil rights guaranteed by our Constitution and Bill of Rights.
* Hitler had his Junkers, the equivalent of the 0.001% who own the wealth here. He catered to their desires, cut taxes or removed them completely. They supported him with finances and power as the 0.001% do here.
* As Hitler's power grew, so did the SA, the SS, the Gestapo, the Propaganda Ministry and various intelligence groups. Here, we have our own SA, (the heavily armed and vicious police departments), which can invade homes, beat or shoot suspects with impunity and savagely suppress demonstrations against government policies, the CIA, the FBI, the NSA, Homeland Security and endless peripheral agencies, not to mention various special forces to carry out official skullduggery in an unofficial way.
* Hitler took over the German equivalent of the Supreme Court and put Nazis in charge. The German barristers who complained that the government's actions were illegal were told, "The law is what the Fuehrer says it is, Heil Hitler!" and that ended the German legal system. (Citizen's United anybody?)
* As Hitler's power grew and he saw the waffling and indecision of the rest of the world, he began taking pieces of adjoining nations, for Lebensraum, he said, and the world and League of Nations let him. Soon, it was "Today Germany, tomorrow the world!" and finally, in 1939, when Poland was blitzkrieged, the world said "Enough!" and the World War began, a war I lived through as a child.
* I believe we can see the parallels here without yet another list.
* In short, the
Constitutional Republic of the United States of America no longer exists. In its place stands the Fourth Reich, a Third Reich on steroids, with the most powerful and deadly military, the most pervasive surveillance systems, the largest prison population in the world, and it is still growing, swallowing and destroying everything that disagrees with it. Disagreement or protest is defined as "terrorism or insurgency", here or abroad, to be rooted out and destroyed in the name of "Freedom and Democracy!"
* War is glorified as it means huge profits for our Junkers and more power for our Fuehrer of the moment.
* We the People no longer count except as cheap labor and consumers of cheap goods.
* Will we have the guts to turn this around, or should we just become resigned to live as landless serfs, begging for crumbs from the tables of the rich?
* You tell me.