Home | About | Donate

'Good News!': With Unanimous Vote, Oakland Joins Growing List of Cities to Ban Facial Recognition Technology

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/07/17/good-news-unanimous-vote-oakland-joins-growing-list-cities-ban-facial-recognition

Surveillance, (spying), is already out of hand. If there is to be more of it, it has to be us recording police departments, government buildings and installations. How about a data base (facial recognition) of undercover, plainclothes law enforcement? How about surveillance of unmarked police vehicles. We want to know when they operate above or below the law.
If they are allowed to spy on us, we should be allowed to do the same to them.

2 Likes

Good first step. Berkeley just banned natural gas in residential homes, slated to go in effect in a few years. While this is good on the climate emergency front, it also opens the door for more surveillance from electric appliances, especially if 5G in implemented. I’d like to see a trend around the country, making it illegal to sell any appliance that “talks” to the system, with no consumer control. If you want you’re appliances to talk to you’re phone, that should be an add-on, and not standard feature.

1 Like

I agree, but what a hard sell, I reference the fact that they (the police) can lie to us with impunity, while it’s a felony to lie to them, level playing field indeed. And lets not forget how “scared” so many of them are.

2 Likes

I have to chuckle at police cowardice. It always take three to a dozen to secure one unarmed individual. When someone is arrested and is harmed during apprehension there should be a public flogging of the officers involved.
I’m getting old and refuse to put up with any crap.

2 Likes

Yeah, I used to laugh at them as well, then that excuse became the go-to excuse, to excuse murder.
Now I’m, “did you not know what the job entailed? If you’re so scared, find a new job, because you’re not cut out for this one”.

2 Likes