Home | About | Donate

Google Has Quietly Dropped Ban on Personally Identifiable Web Tracking

Google Has Quietly Dropped Ban on Personally Identifiable Web Tracking

Julia Angwin

Update, Oct. 21, 2016: After we published this story, Google reached out to say that it doesn’t currently use Gmail keywords to target web ads. We’ve updated the story to reflect that.

---

When Google bought the advertising network DoubleClick in 2007, Google founder Sergey Brin said that privacy would be the company’s “number one priority when we contemplate new kinds of advertising products.”

Another corner of Capitalism heard from.
"There's no such thing as a free lunch."
If the government controlled the internet what a mess we'd have. Real or imagined.
But because the internet has been privatized then we will all be able to buy a home site on Mars if we want one.
Pick your, our, poison because Big Brother comes in all commercial and governmental shapes and sizes.

This is no surprise. I avoid Google anything since the surveillance issue became known. They are one of the worst when it comes to giving up our privacy. They probably all do but Google has been especially bad.

It shouldn't be surprising that a data collection company is trying to collect as much data as possible to make as much money as possible. It is a highly profitable business. I think what is needed is legislation to allow users to see what is being collected and have the ability to have it deleted. However, the Internet changes so fast that it might be impossible for legislation to keep up.

The problem I have is that I followed that rope on the ground that was Google offering more and more free services that I got entangled and then with a quick yank by Google I lost my privacy - it wasn't informed consent.

Times are a changing. The Internet represents a revolution in human communications - it will transform the world. The Internet should be a utility available to all, in future in may represent life itself.