Home | About | Donate

GOP Plan to Slash Unemployment Benefits by $1,600 Per Month Condemned as 'Absolutely Unacceptable'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/07/27/gop-plan-slash-unemployment-benefits-1600-month-condemned-absolutely-unacceptable

4 Likes

Absolutely Vicious would better describe it.

These creatures are very sick

This will really accelerate the tanking of the economy

13 Likes

Because the last thing one would want to do to keep an economy afloat is to put money into the hands of those who would spend it. /s And wouldn’t one seeking reelection want to bolster the economy? Stupid fuckers! More stupid or more evil, I have to solve that riddle.

13 Likes

“stupid” if their goal is the goal you are thinking of.

Maybe it’s not. It 's been clear for a long time that every time you think they couldn’t go any lower - they do.

It’s almost as if they were an alien species trying to destroy everything

7 Likes

You would think that people who go into the highest public service actually care for their fellow human beings.

One hope’s in the near future the highest spiritual values will be our priority .

4 Likes

Mitch clearly has way too much money along with his wife.

6 Likes

I would think they need to restructure it to be a percentage basis. Here in Kentucky the +$600 meant people being off work made more than when they were working. That’s part of the reason Ford/Amazon workers pushed to be off longer. Plus doing a percentage would works out better for people in higher income/expense states like California.

1 Like

It’s true that for the first time I’m out of debt and looking at a balance that’s over $2000 in my credit union. Would be best if I were desperate and willing to work anywhere for pennies.

2 Likes

Yes, but remember they earned it.

2 Likes

It’s okay to use tax payer money to bailout Wall Street, to pay for wars, to give corporations handouts, but god forbid you help the people who are actually paying taxes. I thought the whole point of society and the social contract was that you pay taxes in order for the state to provide a safety net and provide protections for yourself and your fellow Americans in times of need. But the system as it is set up right now is that working class people work hard at mostly shitty wages, pay taxes which then is used to bail out the robber barons every few years. And if they dare to ask to see a cent of that money they paid into the system, they are accused of being freeloaders who want free money.

It’s no surprise that people who make millions and billions by exploiting workers and doing no real work themselves think that others don’t want to work. It is pure projection. Rich people are the biggest freeloaders in this society and the laziest mooches you can think of.

The contempt our elected officials have for the citizenry is shameful and that includes the damn Democrats who did not need to sign off on the first stimulus bill (and who will sign off on whatever watered down bullshit bill the GOP will come up with next). Pelosi had no qualms to allow Goldman Sachs lackey Mnuchin to literally print money for the corporations and throw a trillion a day at the stock market Bolchevik style but they talk about fairness and not giving people a cent of their own money that they paid into the system because god forbid a waiter or janitor might get a few hundred extra bucks a month when that money could easily go to Bezos or Gates or Musk who will then use to bribe and pay off our politicians.

Boy aren’t we all glad our nominee is a guy who has promised to tackle all these issues passionately and decisively and in a meaningful way standing up for the working class finally. Oh no…wait… that is only happening in everyone’s fantasy.

13 Likes

I’m laughing out loud because they must just love shooting themselves in the foot. Talk about alienating voters…

2 Likes

And he clearly doesn’t want anyone without money to have any.

2 Likes

Excellent points. Obviously, we, the people do not count. We are waste unless we are making profits for the owners.

4 Likes

Title should read —

"GOP Plan to Slash $1,600 per month of Food, Health and Shelter Subsistence for Those Who Need it Most — "

Families who lost their incomes due to Trump and his Administration’s incompetence, indifference and bigotry in dealing with national emergency.

They are Fascists intentionally causing the deaths of thousands of American citizens. They need to be prosecuted for manslaughter.

5 Likes

If they hadn’t looted the working class’ taxes, and given 4.2 trillion away to their friends previously, most of which was literally stolen, it wouldn’t be a problem.

5 Likes

To Hell with the restrictions I place on myself due to Karma; I do wish these hideous scum ill, well-earned retribution, and much of it!

The variously ascribed quote (tip-O-the-hat) that: " I’ve never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure." is very much active these days re these horrible criminal scum; very high among them is McConnell!!

8 Likes

Forget just the immorality of this, it is insanely stupid economics. I am sorry, but these people and their economic theories have no basis in reality. Have they ever heard of effective demand? It is a collectively stupid party, sorry. Yes, they are evil, but if they don’t want this rotten system to change much, why not insure that it can work so that calls for structural change are kept at bay? Their own system is going to collapse because of their stupid, ignorant economic policies.

5 Likes

Key point, at the federal level, they are NOT using taxpayer money. Your taxes at the federal level do not pay for spending. They do at the local level, the state level, because those governments do not use the currency the federal government creates. The federal government creates a currency when there is a deficit, and even horrible, empty Democrats like Pelosi have committed to pay go, which means that the federal government cannot inject more money and demand into the economy in the long term. If she stands by pay go, the spending now will have to be made up by cuts later. Not spending at the federal level leads to austerity eventually at the state and local level, and relies on private banks to create money, which they do when someone goes into debt to them. But, your taxes do not fund spending at the federal level, neither do things like Treasury bonds. The federal government can spend whenever it wants actually, which makes this far worse than if it was constrained like state and local governments are.

4 Likes

Thanks for the needed laugh!

1 Like

The US should use this time to experiment with Guaranteed Basic Incomes for all.

6 Likes