Home | About | Donate

GOP Senate Trio Threaten to Delay Stimulus Bill Because Unemployment Benefits Amid Pandemic Are Too Generous

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/03/25/gop-senate-trio-threaten-delay-stimulus-bill-because-unemployment-benefits-amid

1 Like

(h)ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKOBk2pbyd0

And Canada has Universal Health Care too!!!

3 Likes

For the THIRD time: WHY THE FUCK DO WE TOLERATE THIS SHIT?!

12 Likes

ANY unemployment insurance is TOO MUCH for the GOP.

Ever since Saint Ron ascended the throne in 1981 the GOP has worked overtime to turn the US into a third world nation. They hoped that food stamps, unemployment insurance, social security, Medicare, Medicaid and other “domestic” programs would be history by now.

Having traveled in the third world earlier this month and witnessing their proactive responses to COVID-19 I can attest to the success of the GOP in gutting US public health infrastructure to their satisfaction.

15 Likes

“regulatory guidance that no American would earn more by not working than by working”

Does that not describe a usual day for the congress?

18 Likes

Read Morris Berman for his take on why americans tolerate this shit. He examines this in (among his other books), Why America Failed: The Roots of Imperial Decline.
Written in 2011, it is the 3rd book in a series that started in 2000 with The Twilight of American Culture.

And as an aside, where and who was the commenter (can’t remember his/her name) who always ended the his/her posts with (I may be paraphrasing). WAKE UP AMERICA! ?
Looks like most of america did not heed his/her advice from many years ago here on Common Dreams!

8 Likes

The GOP Trio: Uncle Tom Oreo, Closet Queen Lindsay, and Nebraska Cornhusker.
The mission: hurt unemployed people while helping the wealthiest.
The Solution for dealing with these typically heartless Republican bastards: Can’t be said publicly.

10 Likes

Republican Sens. Lindsey Graham, Tim Scott, and Ben Sasse want you to believe that it is not their parasitic corporate owners gonna smack 'em down if they don’t dog-whistle the imperial elite privileges. Gottalaugh - they’ve already destroyed the mechanisms to keep their predatory practices a float … its just plain schizo-sociopath time. They thumb their noses in a challenge to revolution, certain that they would “win”.

All of their premises are based on a rhetorical spin job that there is a Trumpified manufacturing base. An outright lie. The money that needs to flood the local communities to prevent revolution is a reality that is going to make them prefer to eat their own $#i!

4 Likes

You’re going to hate this Ray. Also in the Republican stimulus package: “Companies would also be able to defer payment of the 6.2% Social Security payroll tax”. Another nail removed in the decades long movement to privatize or kill Social Security. The only real plannedemic impacting the world is this vile government and its metastasizing cruelty to workers and retirees.

8 Likes

Lindsey Graham, Tim Scott, and Ben Sasse might have a different tune to sing after that unemployment report comes out tomorrow. There will be MILLIONS in the list who VOTE! The Terrible Threesome might want to think about THAT! Sending those losers into retirement would not be a bad thing, though.

7 Likes

Sounds like something I would write without “THE FUCK” words before america. (-:

2 Likes

What do these millionaire sociopaths want? MORE.

6 Likes

New: Sen. Bernie Sanders announces he will place hold over coronavirus bill – & demand new restrictions on $500 billion fund for corporations – unless 3 Republican Senators drop their objections to unemployment insurance expansions

How can we mobilize to make sure there is a debate between Biden and Sanders in April?
Biden in yet another incoherent ramble today said he is “done with debates”.

It is more important now than ever for this to take place.

Christo Aivalis makes the case brilliantly for why this debate is essential:
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JXUt0IJN-Q

I hope Common Dreams has a feature piece on the necessity of one more debate and what we can do to make this happen. This is not off topic on this thread because this “stimulus bill”, covid 19, failing healthcare system, environmental crisis-----it is all interconnected and Bernie must be heard.

11 Likes

Graham and Scott said there was a ‘massive drafting mistake in the bill’. Like a person working three gig jobs making $140 a week might get $145 in unemployment?

9 Likes

A while back, I read Why America Failed by Berman and concluded I would not read another book by him. He goes through extraordinary lengths to praise the “traditional values” of the South albeit with the weak apology “sans slavery”. He failed to connect the fact that the South was every bit a capitalist society as the North. If the point was to praise and recommend traditional life ways why did he not focus on the First Nations? These are traditional societies but, like too many, many non indigenes these people do not exist. I would argue that such blindness goes to the heart of why “America” failed and it will continue to do so if and until the crimes of genocide, theft and slavery minus the need to write"sans slavery" are acknowledged and rectified.

Rather than Berman, I would recommend Ronald Wright, What Is America?

~https://www.google.com/books/edition/What_Is_America/uaXIzIyoLBUC?hl=en&gbpv=1&printsec=frontcover

Now, to get a feel just how “civilized” this “traditional” society of the South along with the cut-throat North capitalists then you might want to read Edward Baptist, The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and The Making of American Capitalism.

7 Likes

David, you are an original!

2 Likes

Would somebody please inform Sens. Graham and Scott that 1.) the South LOST, and 2.) slavery was ABOLISHED.
There’s an old quip that seems to apply here:
Q. - What’s the difference between North Carolina and South Carolina?
A. – about 75 years.
May THEIR unemployment come swiftly, and with extreme vengence.

10 Likes

Hi Caroline:
I believe BERNIE-----HOLD that bill, and then cut the parts that screw over, once again, the American workers.

5 Likes

Used as the all important sheep dog role of getting the “black” vote. If there are black republicans. BTW what IS it about South Carolina???

3 Likes

Does this surprise anyone, or that Lindsey Graham is involved? The extra money lasts only 4 months, hardly an incentive to deliberately loaf. Christ, republicans are just so sure others will take advantage, I suspect because it is what they would do.
They want their pound of flesh first. You may recall that just a few days ago the direct cash payments were to be $1200 for those earning enough to pay any income tax at all, but only $600 if you were too poor to pay income tax. Essentially the poor were deemed less worthy. That is our capitalist feudalism at it’s worst. Fortunately the dems held their ground and now everybody who earns less than $75K/yr gets $1200, no questions asked.

7 Likes