Home | About | Donate

GOP Subpoenas in ExxonKnew Probe Decried as Oil-Soaked 'Abuse of Power'

GOP Subpoenas in ExxonKnew Probe Decried as Oil-Soaked 'Abuse of Power'

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

The GOP is amping up its campaign against those seeking to hold Big Oil accountable for climate deception, with House Science, Space, and Technology Committee chairman Lamar Smith (R-Tex.) announcing Wednesday that his panel has issued subpoenas to the New York and Massachusetts attorneys general and climate groups demanding information on their ExxonKnew investigations.

The truth of "addiction" to fossil fuels, is of course the addiction of money and power that is held in very few hands. The masses, if allowed sane arguments on the matter to be heard in the first place, would of course choose alternatives.

When I was teaching Law and Society in the 1970's I heard of the medieval crime of misprison--a felony at the time. The crime was to fail to give warning if you saw a threat to your village--Norsemen off shore, for instance but went and hid yourself without warning the rest of the village. This was a serious crime. I cannot find any modern references to this in the law however. But what Exxon did was misprison in its most egregious form.