Home | About | Donate

Government for the Rich, the Poor Be Damned

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/08/15/government-rich-poor-be-damned

4 Likes

and when you’re ready to topple it, let someone know. complaining hasn’t exactly been a winning strategy.

Accountability is a slippery slope.

Yesterday, I called a placement agency. The recruiter I had previously talked apparently no longer worked there. The receptionist put me on to someone who she said handled the construction industry, and I tried to have a conversation.

When an obviously young man came on to speak to me, I was talked to in the most dismissive, flippant, condescending and careless tones, language and method imaginable, and told at the end that it was not his field. After ten minutes I was to be passed to yet another rep.

This reminded me exactly of people I dealt with in high school - people who would not have to work a day in their lives and knew it. People Chris Hedges often references as people he too grew up and went to college with.

This dynamic is very important to the those who know have the money and the power. They will stop at nothing to keep it. The methodology of condescension seems to be paramount to this class of people. I am not sure they even realize they are doing it.

Aaah Burn the fucking planet.
I have been kind, forgiving and generous, and only destitution to show for it.
I don’t care how far I will go. But I will not stop being myself.

4 Likes

The US bourgeoisie are a repugnant bunch of aholes. They should be taxed shless. Like 99% over $5 million. Of course I’m just pipe-dreaming here as I watch beautiful Earth get destroyed by capitalist greed. It(the USA)will collapse as a house of cards. How can it not? And soon too I think.

2 Likes

Just letting you know and/or anyone that might want to know I am ready, have set up the framework and website to build an organization to accomplish toppling the big money interests and am waiting for you and/or anyone else to be ready to join me.

www.onedemand.org

see also my petition at change (dot) org to get Ralph Nader to address this approach.

This is the systole and diastole of history: wealth accumulates, resistance and calls for reform grow, what reforms that are enacted are undermined shortly thereafter and we return to square one. It happened more than once in both ancient Greece and Republican Rome. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

1 Like

Go to church and get “right” with Jesus. Government for the rich is how the prosperity gospel works. If you want food join a mega church and tithe 10% of your income. Beware, sacrifice of a son or daughter may be required.

I guess this comment is directed at Jim Hightower who’s been fighting against the TPTB for a very long time. I don’t think such comments are helpful.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Hightower

to do this with current rules not only requires a Congress to vote against their own gravy train but ALSO a SCOTUS to reverse years of precedent granting corporations rights as super-citizens.

We need to get real here: this system isn’t going to be tossed from the inside. We’ve blown every chance we’ve had as a people to do that.

We need some of these “opinion leaders” to do some leading and stick their necks out for once, OR, to back off from the mic and let people with skin in the game speak.

They’re perfectly helpful. Losing strategies shouldn’t be endorsed because you like someone or even respect their efforts.

And no one’s “bashing” Hightower. He’s a good egg. But his entire class of “opinion-ocracy” is holding up progress by imposing their personal risk levels on everyone else, especially people that need to get their chains off yesterday.

What’s helpful is hard truth. We have a lot of middle class posters in here who have no interest in anything other than modest reform because that’s all they require. They’re not especially interested in the plight of the desperate.

Would you mind explaining why you think Hightower is “complaining” rather than fighting in his own way? Is informing and energizing people Hightower’s “loosing strategy” ? How does that very unjustified claim justify trashing the man in such an arrogant way?

What “progress” in the struggle is Hightower impeding “Imposing his personal risk level” on everyone else" supposedly, and how can that possibly limit people admittedly behind the curve to “get their chains off yesterday”?

Hightower delivers truth, maybe not “hard” enough for you, but that’s what those “late to the realization” people need to get moving, not an offputting extremism.- they will get there on their own time.

Its not helpful to naysay the work a man has done for 40 years because you arrogantly know better, Tom. I don’t see your argument being accurate in this case or in any way serving to “topple the government” or even aiding that struggle.

“To each according to their needs, from each according to their abilities”

You are right that it would take a Congress to vote against their own gravy train to do this (assuming this means getting the big money out of our political process), and that this will not happen (system not being tossed from the inside).

But current rules do not limit what can be done to what can be done by Congress.

Current rules allow citizens to vote.

And citizens can work together using those votes to influence/determine who gets elected to Congress.

If citizens keep voting for big money candidates they will keep getting big money legislators.

By committing to work together to only vote for and support small donor candidates citizens can create and demonstrate demand for small donor candidates.

Basic democracy.

Ordinary citizens are outside the big money “system”.

Let’s not blow this opportunity before the rules are changed.

Let people like Ralph Nader and Jim Hightower know they should stick thier necks out and inform citizens about a possible solution that can be implemented under current rules.

The big money Congress isn’t going to do it and neither will Nader, Hightower or anyone else until ordinary citizens work together and demand it.

of course you don’t see it, which is why i bother typing it. In the hopes that people start thinking outside the box a little on what is or isn’t possible instead of constantly parading on the same poor patch of destroyed ground.

when you do, then it’ll be something worth discussing. until then, there’s nothing that can be done other than for me to poke and prod from time to time to get discussions where I think they need to be. that’s literally the only point in jerking on boards like this.

pundits limit the range of discussion according largely to their social position. i don’t need some middle class git speaking for me. my class can speak for itself. but we’re not being heard.