Home | About | Donate

Graduates Turn Their #BackstoBetsy DeVos at HBCU Commencement Speech

Graduates Turn Their #BackstoBetsy DeVos at HBCU Commencement Speech

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

Citing her tone-deaf statement earlier this year that historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) were "real pioneers when it comes to school choice," students and activists protested Education Secretary Betsy DeVos when she delivered the commencement speech at Bethune-Cookman University on Wednesday.

This woman is a cruel sociopathic Christo fascist whose every move must be contested.

Fraud on top of fraud on top of fraud - the entire Trump "administration." And we are obliged to take it seriously.

She must have come cheap...in any case, the University made a very bad investment with this "guest speaker." I applaud the graduates for expressing their "free speech" both physically and vocally! Ms. Devoid (of Brains) should confine her commencement speeches to her beloved charter and/or private elementary kindergarten graduations.

Nazis everywhere.

This will not stand. Never the Duopoly.

We must unite around a political party that represents us all equally.

No Big Money.

Well said, Seatower!

I have no idea why they would invite her,. That said, I would imagine that the President of the University looks upset because he is upset by the disrespect shown to the speaker.

A lot of HBCU's are run by some pretty right-wing administrations - promoting "black entrepreneurship" and other capitalist happy horshit. I'll never forget how, back in 2003, Hampton University expelled a number of their students for merely holding an anti-Iraq invasion demonstration on the campus.

If that had been Sessions instead of DeVos, he would have had the protestors arrested. So would Trump.

That's just about the only good thing we can say about Ms. Betsy at this point.

It's OK to turn backs to the speaker, at least poor Betsy was allowed to speak. Poor Betsy; well, that was bullshit.

On the contrary, I wonder how much they were paid to "invite" her.

the deserved and earned disrespect shown to the speaker.

Seems like everyone hates anyone who's connected with the Trump Crime Family.

It's better to listen to the speaker and comment afterward.