Home | About | Donate

Grassroots Democrats Are Making the TPP a Big Issue in Congressional Races

Grassroots Democrats Are Making the TPP a Big Issue in Congressional Races

John Nichols

Trade policy in general—and the Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement in particular—has become a vital concern for Democrats up and down the ballot.

Just ask Wisconsin Congressman Ron Kind, one of the few congressional Democrats who continues to make arguments for agreements such as the TPP.

If Jayapal wins Washington's 7th District seat in the House of Representatives in November she will be the only member of the entire Washington State Congressional Delegation (House and Senate) who opposes TPP.

Although her opponent, former Gates Foundation operative Brady Walkinshaw claims to oppose TPP, his unabashed support for Clinton, and the support he is getting from the status quo supporting TPP would prevent me from betting a nickle that he will oppose it in 2017.

It needs to not be a BIG issue it needs to be a COLOSSAL issue. Any trade deal of this magnitude must be suspect on its secrecy alone. Labor issues, environmental issues, country sovereignty issues, and giant monopoly and concentration of corporate powers are all on the line with this beast.

I heavily question rhetoric by our own president that TPP/TTIP/TISA will level the trade playing field and boost exports. Labor costs are the number one reason our jobs are fleeting outside our borders. The only way export trade can be increased, leveled, and become fair is by raising wages in cheap wage countries to competitive levels with the US OR lowering the US wages and standard of living.

NAFTA has directly helped to produce a US international trade deficit in goods and services that has increased to $44.5 billion in June 2016 from $41.0 billion in May. I can not see companies using cheap labor in Mexico, China , etc. advocating higher labor wages in those countries thus volunteering to lower their own profits. If anything I see TPP as driving down American wages further.

I believe this is going to be the beginning of global leveling of a standard of living. This would mean huge profits for protected Global companies and low level wages for all. It would only sustain continuous "low economic class" consumer buying but never upward advancement beyond that class. Any fight for upward advancement would be fought off by a Global governance; any small business development would be crushed. Fights on say labor and environmental crimes would be silenced by loss of profit provisions in place to protect corporate abuses.

To me, at its very core, this trade deal seems to be a blow against the exceptional nature of American democracy. Replacing a dream of self sustained democratic countries across the Globe who would emulate the success of a once thriving US economy with a completely level lower wage consumer based Globe where a small handful not only reap the benefits but write the governing force to protect their own interests.

In addition to downward spiraling job opportunities and wages, quality of life in the US will diminish to third world standards as responsibility for making and enforcing health, safety and environmental regulations is transferred from governments to international corporate tribunals.

The TPP has so many poison arms that a NO pledge should be a prerequisite to wanting any progressive's vote.