Home | About | Donate

Great Barrier Reef Faces 'Terminal' Stage in Climate Change Fight

Great Barrier Reef Faces 'Terminal' Stage in Climate Change Fight

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

The Great Barrier Reef may be at a "terminal" point after being hit with unprecedented bleaching events in consecutive years, scientists warned Monday.

According to new aerial surveys conducted by the Australian Research Council's Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, two-thirds of the reef have now been affected, up from one-third last year. This year's mass bleaching occurred even in the absence of an El Niño event.

Terminal!

Not a word that any of us wanted to start hearing associated with climate change.

We will keep hearing it too!

You know we will.

Optimism? is not a word used here in the good ole US of A. With each passing day we can count on more chemicals be put in our air and water.

As the reef goes so go we...

Excellent albeit gut wrenching interview with Dahr Jamail addressing death of coral reefs, methane and more:

At 25 minutes, Dahr asks the most important question related to humans replicating the Permian extinction and how we can come to terms with this while we are still alive. He also addresses different forms of denial which include techno fixes as a form of denial.

He asks, will we come together as the crises continue to escalate or turn away from each other? I fear it will be the latter.

Dahr Jamail and Jeremy Scahill = heros---- as in courageous truth tellers and activists.

It's not lack of money. That's a foolish and even childish notion. A major ELE (Extinction Level Event - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event) cannot be "fixed". But, "Only lived with" - paraphrasing the amazing late John Trudell - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DE8dLR9IXM&list=PL49E205A9B56C37F3&index=51

well, today I have heard people being quite happy that it will probably be over 80 degrees in NYC on 4/11/17...
very happy...
as I expected them to be..
mention global warming ...all you get is a blank stare...

I agree ...unfortunately, it will be the latter...

This is a devastating video. What took the Permian extinction 80,000 years we've reached in 250 years(!) This is the overriding context of our times.

Trump is not the context, he is a sideshow, as Clinton would have been were she elected. Everything but saving life on Earth is a distraction. These things are the context:

the loss of the Great Barrier Reef;
the loss of polar ice caps;
the extinction of bees, butterflies, other pollinators;
the massive wash-away of topsoil;
the chemical flood in which we grow food crops;
the loss of diversity in our food crops;
the 80% extinction of ocean krill;
the acidification of the oceans;
the depletion and pollution of aquifers;
the loss of old growth forests and their ecosystems;

In the video Dahr Jamail says: "There are no techno-fixes, there is only a spiritual solution", or as the great Oglala Lakota described his vision in Black Elk Speaks:

"...And while I stood there I saw more than I can understand
and I understood more than I saw;
for I was seeing in a sacred manner the shapes of all things in the spirit,
and the shape of all shapes as they must live together like one being.
And I saw that the sacred hoop of my people
was one of many hoops that made one circle,
wide as daylight and as starlight,
and in the center grew one mighty flowering tree
to shelter all the children of one mother and one father.
And I saw that it was holy."

Nice weather for the end of a planet!

smallisbeautiful...........The contexts you list above are the things that make everything else seem trivial. Thanks for reminding us!

Trump, ISIS, politics, war, the stock market, the MIC, the MSM, and everything else, pales in comparison to the processes that you have listed above.

Everything else matters only to the extent to which it improves these things, or intensifies them! (Example: the U.S. Military being the biggest user of fossil fuels in the world, but also a major
polluter of other toxic products).

Thank you also for the Lakota quote as well. More essential truth in there than in Washington, D.C.!

It's like Nero fiddling while Rome burns isn't it, nighthawk?

Like Trump pulling out of the Paris Climate Accord. Who cares? We're way too deep into a cataclysmic extinction event for a timid feel-good climate treaty like the Paris Accord to have any meaning at all. But we're told we're supposed to care about it.

The video Caroline posted shocked me. This year the temperature at the North Pole was 30 to 50 degrees Fahrenheit higher than in a normal winter? The North Pole possibly ice-free this coming September? The Great Barrier Reef in death throes? The Caribbean has already lost 90% of its coral? There will be no coral left in any ocean in 30 years?

Between 150 and 200 species are going extinct . . .EVERY SINGLE DAY!

This is absolutely terrible. SHAME, SHAME on our current generations for allowing our beautiful blue spaceship earth to degenerate into what will be a very, dark epoch. Our children, our grandchildren, and generations to follow will pay the price.

When CO2 enters the ocean, it turns the water acidic and destroys all calcium carbonate life, such as shellfish and the coral reefs. When the reefs die, all the microorganisms that live in those reefs die, as do the small organisms and fish that feed on them as well as the larger fish who feed on the smaller ones

So, in our lifetime, we may very well experience the extinction of most ocean creatures. No more fish. No more oysters, No more salmon. Nothing.

How will this impact global needs for protein foods? Severe. Widespread starvation.
But don't worry, Mitch Mconnell and his cohorts won't miss a meal.

In the last great extinction, 250 million years ago, over 90% of marine life perished, along with over 70% of land based animal and plant life.

However, worry not, the planet may well recover it's ocean's health, with luck, about 1,000 years after our industrial based society falls apart.

oooooh that made me laugh out loud......................................

Say it in mid winter when the temperature is 70F when it should be 20F... and you don't laugh as much as you'd think. :peace:

Caroline, thanks for putting this "in our faces." Small is beautiful gave an eloquent response. Global climate change and war were my two major issues in the Nov election.

I knew some of what the video said, but it also educated me, dramatically, on some science basics I didn't know. Frankly, I'm left with two deep sources of sadness: the plight, worsening every minute, of the planet and her animals and the apathy or apparent indifference of the people around me (family, friends, colleagues, neighbors). Dahr addresses the denial in facing the hopelessness or helplessness of the apocalyptic change upon us....but I don't feel any better....or kinder, to be honest, about people like the Kochs, owners of Dow Chemical and Monsanto, Exxon, Shell, ad nauseum who continue to rape us. I do not believe they're aware but in denial. I believe they're greedy bastards and frankly don't give a rat's tail about anything beyond their money and power.

Preaching to the choir might be validating and sometimes we can educate each further. Trying to muster interest in, much less action on, the gravity of climate change earns eye-rolling and ignoring of many of us who try. It is worse for me than trying to push a piece of spaghetti.

Thanks, again. :disappointed_relieved:

Fantastic post! My gratitude today to you and Caroline.

Toni---thank you so much for your reply. I come and go rather sporadically on CD and just read this, thus the delayed reply.

Connection with others----even cyber----is helpful when the reality of our plight as you aptly put it (which is "worsening every minute")continues to sink into the depth of our souls. I believe environmental collapse (and toxicity) is affecting everyone whether they are conscious of it or not------how could it not? Even those who do not have the capacity for empathy/compassion (sociopaths/psychopaths) will be affected on a physical level.

When the planet is sick----- how can anyone stay healthy?

For what it's worth, your reply to my post was extremely helpful.

Many times I cannot hone in on the feelings related to the intense grief and anger that weigh so heavily on my spirit . . . to identify and then translate those feeling into words is cathartic, healthy and helps--- you did this and I thank you-----I agree with and share the feelings you express in your response. I imagine many others feel the same way . . . . .

And yes, Small is beautiful wrote an eloquent response with heartbreaking truths----and made very important points about Trump/Clinton.

In the meantime, these are 2 recent pieces that I'm not sure how to get my head around-----environmental collapse appears to be going exponential:

http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/first-seismic-sensor-installed-to-give-early-warning-on-new-exploding-pingos/

I heartily second what Toni W expresses above----thank you

Thanks for joining hands and giving more links. Caroline, you're more articulate than I, but thanks for the warm fuzzy.

How can we know where even to begin each day? This morning, my cell phone's notice greeted me with "misdirected air strike kills 11...." I bet that NPR :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: doesn't even mention the Great Barrier Reef today or that trump is sending troops to kill anywhere...without congressional declaration of war. .....which to be clear, I am 100% unalterably opposed to.