Home | About | Donate

Green Groups Welcome Regulators Rejection of Perry's "Ludicrous" Plan to Bail Out Coal and Nuclear Industries

Green Groups Welcome Regulators Rejection of Perry's "Ludicrous" Plan to Bail Out Coal and Nuclear Industries

Jon Queally, staff writer

"No matter how forceful industry lobbying, the market factors simply dictate that nuclear and coal power plants should be replaced by cheaper, cleaner, and safer solar and wind power."

Like a broken clock, even FERC can be right on occasion.

“FERC said Perry’s plan did not meet legal and statutory requirements.”

I really wish this article had elaborated more on this. Instead, we get cheers about how this decision on Ferc’s part is “good for the environment.” I’m pretty sure FERC didn’t consider the environment at all when they made this decision. Also, exactly how was Perry trying to bail out these industries? I don’t want these industries to receive any subsidization at all. The consumers should have to pay the true cost of their electricity. Besides, what factors are driving up the cost of coal and nuclear energy?

People have gotten too accustomed to what seems like to them to be endless energy. Years ago when people heated their houses with wood, their houses were cold in winter even those of the rich because heating with wood is a lot of work. So, you had to be as efficient as you could be with your wood. We’ve become a spoiled lot with this false sense of endless cheap energy. Perhaps paying the true cost of energy will spur more people to incorporate passive solar technology in their houses design where free energy can be used to provide supplemental heating in our houses. I know that I am seriously considering it.