Home | About | Donate

Green New Deal Advocates Should Address Militarism

Green New Deal Advocates Should Address Militarism

Medea Benjamin, Alice Slater

In the spirit of a new year and a new Congress, 2019 may well be our best and last opportunity to steer our ship of state away from the twin planetary perils of environmental chaos and militarism, charting a course towards an earth-affirming 21st century.

Section IV, #8

World Beyond War has a petition to ask Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to include the military in the Democrats’ Green New Deal:

Militarism mus.t be addressed as it most likely is the single biggest user of gas and oil. I believe the vast majority of its machinization relies on gas and oil. How would a shift to green energy look like?

Certainly the US military can be downsized, but it is not the leading institutional consumer of fuel oils. It’s been reported there are 10,000 commercial airliners in the air at all times. Military aircraft come nowhere near that amount. Commercial shipping and trucking likewise by far outnumber similar military vessels and vehicles. Any shift to green energy cannot replace how we use fossil fuels; we drive too much, fly too much, truck and ship goods around the world too much, at too high cost and impact. Addressing climate change will completely undermine the world economy as it is today based on long-distance transport, daily commuting - even via mass transit - and recreational travel. The leading technologies are hybrid and all-battery EVs matched to rooftop solar arrays then tied into regional utility grids. For no good reason, Ford & GM are cancelling their hybrid EV models. Hybrid tech actually offers more potential to reduce fuel/energy consumption than all-battery EVs. I’m certain Ford/GM directors know this perfectly well. They may want to produce only a limited number of EVs to serve an exclusive upper class market.

Unfortunately, the warning by President Eisenhower was never addressed by either Republicans or Democrats so now the MIC is a virtual dictatorship with little or no oversight or accountability.

Can we open up our issue silos, and work to close down their missile silos?

I am sorry for what I am about to say because many of you reading this will call me unpatriotic and a lot of other names. But I want to speak to the truth about the situation with militarism Trumpism corporate greed and everything else that is wrong with the world today.

First everything that I mentioned above should be gotten rid of and in its place should be a more peaceful greener environment, opportunities for all and all the good and right things that we cherish should be reinstated.

Where I differ is how this change is going to happen. And I admire people like Greta Thornburn and her passion for change. I also admire Emma Gonzales and her passion for gun control. And all the people who get out and protest like the folks in Michigan but the Truth the whole Truth and nothing but the Truth is simple…

ALL THESE EFFORTS WILL NOT ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING.

The only way change will come is through the way it has something nice the beginning of civilization and that is by a World Wide

REVOLUTION

President Eisenhower made this peace speech in 1953

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every
rocket fired signifies,
in the final sense, a
theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those
who are cold and are not clothed. This world
in arms is not spending money alone.
It is spending the sweat of its
laborers, the genius of its scientists
, the hopes of
its children.
The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a
modern brick school in more than 30 cities.
It is two electric power plants, each
serving a town of 60,000 population.
It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It
is some 50 miles of concrete highway.
We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat.
We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that
could have housed more than 8,000 people.
This, I repeat, is the best way of life to be
found on the road the world
has been taking.
This is not a way of life at all, in any true
sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is
humanity hanging from a cross of iron.
These plain and cruel truths define the peril and
point the hope that comes with this spring of

The US military is a major reason that the wealthy think that they do not need to respond constructively to ecological problems. It provides the fool’s hope of stealing what they need to ride out the fallout from their own activities–some of it literal.

Keep up the pressure and call the bluff. Either the Blue Wave is for or against humanity.

The US military us a big emitter of greenhouse gases but climate change and militarism needs to be address separately. Many of the same ways emissions can be reduced for the civilian populations also apply to the military. Solar and wind energy are key for both. Commercial planes and military planes are a big problem when it comes to emissions. Also commercial shipping and navel vessels similarly are a problem. The emissions from the US military is one of many reasons why it is so difficult to reduce emissions.

I think Ms. Benjamin is a heroic activist and much needed by progressives and all of us in fact. However I think that the way many progressives always seek to conflate various issues is a time tested recipe for political defeat. In fact the process derives from an expectation of being silenced (and defeat) whereby even getting an issue ‘out there’ in the public eye constitutes a kind of limited victory. Somehow the left has come to adopt specific issues and each having noted advocates. Many of these advocates have separate paths and differing voices but all seek a connection to a left that they actually expect to fail and so they vie for their issue simply to be heard.

Whether it is not eating meat or reducing the military budget, chemtrails and whatever else, the left expects to lose and so it just wants to be heard. The end result of this is that if a progressive candidate doesn’t vociferously support some issue then those adherents of that progressive issue are turned off. Whereas the right doesn’t put their candidates to such demanding criteria fo support. The right supported an autocratic fool that virtually opposes democracy simply because they identify with him as anti-liberal! They trusted that the issues would be dealt with by Trump and the Republicans in an ultra conservative manner and promptly went back to their blithe ignorance of issues and world affairs. They may not pay close attention to what Trump does but they have the expectation that he will deal with things as a conservative if nothing else.

Would that the left would put their specific issues into the same basket and trust that if they elected a progressive candidate that that person would try to help all those progressive issues. The left needs to trust in itself and allow its candidates to win by popular demand not corporate money.

Progressives should let a progressive candidate win office and THEN hold the candidate’s feet to the fire on their issues. Trying to force a prospective candidate to ‘sign’ on to specific issues to the exclusion of general popular appeal just shows that ultimately that the old left honchos do not expect to ever win. Let the new honchos of the progressive left have a chance at popular appeal!

This time around if the left can’t win it will be because the left could not unite behind a progressive candidate 'who isn’t perfect’ …

…like usual.

We just have to look at the ridiculous face in the mirror. Who allocates 1.5 trillion dollars to people lounging on multi-million dollar boats, smoking big cigars, eating fancy foods, and paying little in taxes? Who does that? We did. Dumb shits. Same people want take money away from retirees, handicapped, disabled, sick and needy. What kind of sick society would do such stupid things? We do. Dumb shits.
These same assholes want our money, not theirs, to support a massive separate country within a country, the military. Outside of our touch and control, yet they want you to pay. On and on.

medea, Go the extra mile and say WHY? there is rampant militarism. The false flag of a govt scripted “event”. Done deliberately on the day corresponding to the emergency number we are all familiar with…9 one one. Gee, what a coinkydink. A number that falls trippingly off the tongue. Hammer this into the populace and stir up the phony patriotism while saluting the mercenaries who kill innocents abroad. A clever scheme of the zionist controlled country. Yes, god bless America and her eternal wars for hegemony.

Absolutely! Green deal is a farce absent demilitarization.

You miss the point: the US military is the one single institution that uses the greatest amount of fossil fuels; the “airline industry” or “commercial shipping” is not a single institution.

Medea is exactly right. De-militarization is the first step towards any genuine progressive movement forward.

In my view the MIC acts as something beyond a virtual dictatorship.

Rituals. Garb. Oaths. Veneration of shock and awe. Blind faith in missions. Dooming the ‘sinners.’

It’s more akin to a virtual religion.