Home | About | Donate

'Grotesque Abuse' of Authority as Trump Declares National Emergency Over ICC Probe of Alleged US War Crimes

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/11/grotesque-abuse-authority-trump-declares-national-emergency-over-icc-probe-alleged

3 Likes

Why does he even care? The USA has refused to acknowledge or join the ICC for years now. Of course the USA does not want to be held accountable for all it war crimes for decades. And just how is it a national emergency? Just more misdirection and playing to his white nationalist base. Trump is grasping at straws to embolden his base and they are so fucking stupid it will likely work on them. Rah…Rah…USA!

10 Likes

What are they afraid of? This article is quite revealing:

~https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/06/trump-authorises-sanctions-international-court-officials-200611134349115.html

3 Likes

Moscow Mitch and the GOP have operated like an organized crime syndicate at least since Newt’s contract of America a quarter century ago. Godfather Trump has simply escalated the level of lawlessness and brutality that the GOP enables, perpetrates, and perpetuates.

5 Likes

The American Government has been guilty of war crimes for a very long time. Read William Blum’s 2004 book," Killing Hope - U.S. Military and C.I.A. Interventions Since WW 2" and check the 60 pages of references to verify the credibility of the facts stated in the book. I wish I could post a link to the book but…CommonDreams does not allow it.
Mr. Phillips
Canada
Retired]

12 Likes

Trump will never be able to “executive order” his way out of his criminal abuse of authority in the history of his corrupt administration.

Never.

4 Likes

The trump regime despises the ICC and all it stands-for.
trump & co are also supporting the Israeli position on the Court re accountability for crimes against humanity in Palestine, official racism, illegal colonization of the Occupied Territories, ethnic cleansing and much more - neither Israel or its US lap-dog will accept any limits or accountability for mass killings, endless occupation and colonization, wars of choice, assassinations, or any of many illegal sanctions, blockades, or other financial attacks against other nations and their civilian populations - Like against Iran, Cuba, Venezuela, and others!.

5 Likes

Yup, if trump and his fascist cronies didn’t bring this up, the average American wouldn’t know, or care, that it’s happening.
Why is it that stupid people believe if they keep talking they won’t seem so stupid?

4 Likes

The slow march to fascism has become a sprint. A sprint to November.

2 Likes

No, HE won’t, but My money is still on Byedone and Pelosi letting him off the hook - somehow

2 Likes

Correct me if I am wrong, but the ICC is a joke, right? Iraq/Libya - obvious war crimes of the highest order.

Accountability - absolutely zero.

2 Likes

But i seem to remember a few months ago this was in the news. By way of not allowing any ICC personnel into the states.

1 Like

I hate to say, we commenters here on CD are not typical of the American population. I’m not saying we’re smarter, we just know more:)

6 Likes

How about following the effing international laws? How hard can it be?

Exceptionalism isn’t anti-humanism, which seems to be the only thing these US fascists seem to understand. I always knew post-structuralism and the free play of the signifiers would go horribly wrong after the Right figured out how to run with these theories.

3 Likes

You can’t post a “live” link, but you can just add a tilde at the start of the address, for a very simple cut-and-paste link:

~https://williamblum.org/books/killing-hope

2 Likes

As have the Dems. I point you to Clinton and his dirty mess in Eastern Europe…

2 Likes

Using the Obama precedent?

Peace.
ths.

1 Like

So, to investigate, arrest, detain, or prosecute, constitutes an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States.

That much is indeed true.
Due Process of Law does indeed threaten the standard operating procedures of the Lost America.

The great part is the difference between ICJ and ICC is that the Hague International Court of Justice settles arguments between countries, but the Hague International Criminal Court punishes people.

So like Milosevic, WE Want You.
The world knows and wants justice.
Can’t subvert all Rule of Law.
It may grind slow, but isn’t it nice to see them run scared.
Any room for Kissinger on the docket.

5 Likes

ICC was only supposed to look into crimes of the “inferior” nations. The thought that the glorious western nations (including the Mideastern branch) could be committing war-crimes and that they could be prosecuted is unthinkable.

Peace.
ths.

4 Likes

Talking ad nauseum is the only thing between their minds and the abyss of terror gnawing relentlessly at their souls.

Look at the face of the man on the right, in the photo with the droll, smug pompous ass. Look at the sheer terror in his eyes. This is the terror that haunts all nihilists… because they have no beliefs, there is no meaning for them… nothing is meaningful, nothing is valuable, nothing is trustworthy, nothing is true, nothing is honest, nothing is good, nothing is beautiful, nothing is lovely, nothing is innocent… and this, their whole existence, is absolutely terrifying.

3 Likes