Home | About | Donate

Groundbreaking UN Decision: Ireland's Abortion Ban Is Cruel and Inhumane

Groundbreaking UN Decision: Ireland's Abortion Ban Is Cruel and Inhumane

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

Ireland's restrictive ban on abortions subjected a woman to cruel, inhuman, and degrading treatment and should be ended, a groundbreaking decision from a United Nations committee states.

The findings from the Geneva-based Human Rights Committee are based on the case of Amanda Mellet, who was denied access to an abortion in 2011. In November 2013, the Center for Reproductive Rights filed a complaint on her behalf.

"The findings from the Geneva-based Human Rights Committee are based on the case of Amanda Mellet, who was denied access to an abortion in 2011. In November 2013, the Center for Reproductive Rights filed a complaint on her behalf."

Was the April 2013 case where Savita Halappanavar died a protracted and agonizing death due to Ireland's abortion policies not serious enough to warrant a complaint?

"the State party should amend its law on voluntary termination of pregnancy, including if necessary its Constitution, to ensure compliance with the Covenant, including ensuring effective, timely and accessible procedures for pregnancy termination in Ireland"

Maybe next they can take a look at Texas. I'm pretty sure it isn't meeting that standard.

I will be interested in seeing just how binding this is and what about previous decisions? I don't recall reading about many before, maybe one on Assange's arbitrary detention. Didn't see anything about his being released. Did I miss that along with the ones on treatment of Palestinians?