Home | About | Donate

Hail, (Donald) Caesar!: War and the Imperial Presidency

Hail, (Donald) Caesar!: War and the Imperial Presidency

Danny Sjursen

It may be too late. The president of the United States is now a veritable autocrat in the realm of foreign policy. He has been since at least 1945, when the last congressionally declared war finally ended. Wars in Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, Somalia, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, and Yemen (among other places) were all waged via executive fiat or feeble, open-ended congressional authorizations for the use of military force, aka AUMFs. So it has been with increasing intensity for 73 years and so, most likely, it will remain.

There you go folks.

This author all but says it, support of the Duopoly parties with your votes insures our nation will be one constantly at war.

Because of your support.

This is true of every congress and president since FDR and WW2.They’ve all conducted “police operations,” and/or “covert operations,” and/or outright slaughters and occupations without fail. Not one. The permanent U.S. wars against the world on behalf of capitalism began when WW2 ended – and even before then, there were multiple imperial ventures.

Sjursen alludes to such in his lead. I don’t understand why he and others on the U.S. 'left" see the new AUMF as anything more significant than anything other than throwing up more paper cover.

Excuse the bad editing. I couldn’t delete it. Here’s a somewhat cleaner version.

This is true of every congress and president since FDR and WW2.They’ve all conducted “police operations,” and/or “covert operations,” and/or outright slaughters and occupations without fail. The permanent U.S. wars against the world on behalf of Capitalism began when WW2 ended – and even before then, there were multiple imperial ventures.

Sjursen alludes to such in his lead. I don’t understand why he and others on the U.S. 'left" see the new AUMF as anything more significant than throwing up more paper cover over an ongoing crime against humanity - and the biosphere that created and nurtures us.

It is too late.

I disagree. As humans, in order to stay sane and decent, we have to adopt a Yogi Berra attitude toward reality:

IT AINT OVER TIL IT’S OVER

“God created war so that Americans would learn geography.”
― Mark Twain

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”
― Albert Einstein

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.”
― Voltaire

“Older men declare war. But it is youth that must fight and die.”
― Herbert Hoover

“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.”
― Ernest Hemingway, Ernest Hemingway: A Literary Reference

“What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or in the holy name of liberty or democracy?”
― Mahatma Gandhi

“All war is a symptom of man’s failure as a thinking animal.”
― John Steinbeck

“There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.”
― Howard Zinn

“War does not determine who is right — only who is left.”
― Anonymous

“Dad, how do soldiers killing each other solve the world’s problems?”
― Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes: Sunday Pages 1985-1995: An Exhibition Catalogue

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

“There’s never been a true war that wasn’t fought between two sets of people who were certain they were in the right. The really dangerous people believe they are doing whatever they are doing solely and only because it is without question the right thing to do. And that is what makes them dangerous.”
― Neil Gaiman, American Gods

Also, any politician, Republican or Democrat, who supports funding the war machine is not only an accessory to murder, but is also, by default, guilty of being a racist and a bigot. It’s American Exceptionalism at it’s goriest and destructive worst. It is no coincidence that these wars are being waged exclusively against Muslims and people of color. That so many people in this country regard people in these countries as expendable and the crimes being committed against them by the U.S. military as beneath their notice also explains how we ended up with a racist and a bigot for a President. These are the “American values” we are exporting.

You can start a new game my friend. But when the game is over the game is over and the game of democracy in America is most definitely over. I don’t understand your and many like you that seem to insist change without revolution is possible. It isn’t.

“Generals gathered in their masses,
Just like witches at black masses
Evil minds that plot destruction,
Sorcerer of death’s construction
In the fields the bodies burning,
As the war machine keeps turning
Death and hatred to mankind,
Poisoning their brainwashed minds
Oh Lord yeah”
-Black Sabbath, War Pigs.

Actually, I have been insisting on revolutionary change in many of my posts. We can’t get that if we go to ground; that’s what I meant.

The invocation of Caesar is very appropriate, for, like Rome, our military adventures will bring us to ruin. And most don’t seem to care.

Thank you for the great collection of wise quotes. I am familiar with most of them, but putting
all of them together is powerful. They deserve endless repetition, or at least until people get the
message.

The “revised” AUMF also solidifies the US Presidents Power to ARREST and impriosn indefinitely anyone, including US Citizens and holding them in prison until they die without any rights to legal consul as long as the President deems said person has links to one of these Associated forces.

It does not have to be proven that the person has said links. It just has to be declared. The language of the act is so loose , it can be expanded to include persons critical of US Government actions.

“Mad” King George of England did not have such powers.