Home | About | Donate

Harbingers: Florence, Forest Fires, and the Future

Harbingers: Florence, Forest Fires, and the Future

John Atcheson

Climate change catastrophe is upon us. We see it in the record-breaking floods from storms like Florence, and in the record-breaking fires across the US once again this year.

2 Likes

There is a good news, bad news story lurking within this article.

The good news: When the climate chaos becomes too dramatic to ignore, mankind will enact all kinds of measures to deal with global warming.

The bad news: See the good news above…

2 Likes

A critical piece of information missing from this article is the IPCC is calling for carbon to be removed from the atmosphere during the second half of this century. The IPCC is well aware that carbon budgets are inadequate which is why removing carbon from the atmosphere is seen as essential and how they plan to stay under 2C. The plan isn’t to actually to stay under 2C , it is go a little beyond 2C and then get back below 2C by the end of this century. However, there are two problems with this strategy. One is the feedbacks which might make it impossible to get back under 2C. The other is that is it not known how to pull enough carbon atmosphere out of the atmosphere can be accomplished. I think we also have to keep in mind the real goal may be not to go past 4C. I think many climate scientists believe that there is almost no chance of staying below 3C and very little chance of staying below 4C. The dread is reaching 5C or 6C because it becomes mostly speculative what will happen and there is no assurance that human adaptation on a large scale will be possible.

2 Likes

Two biggest problems facing humanity: population and global warming. The solution, nuclear war…which decreases the population and causes nuclear winter, easing global warming. I believe the idiots that run the world are looking at this as the solution. This explains the drumbeats for war with Russia and the reason the rich are purchasing hidey-holes in New Zealand and Chile.

You might like Bullshit Jobs by anarchist anthropologist (and OWS historian) David Graeber. He dives into deeply embedded popular concepts of work, which rise into a crescendo of absurdity today. For a haggard veteran of bullshit jobs like me, it was therapeutic.

1 Like

I’m starting to weary of shards of dishonesty injected into otherwise truthful projections. John, whatever honorable intentions motivate you to shave the truth, what you’re left with is no longer the whole truth.

The lies in this statement are the words “soon be” and “if we don’t act immediately.” I’m not experiencing anything soon here in Richmond, California. I’m watching the death of the forest now. I haven’t been able to safely hike all summer because of constant smoke in the air - sometimes from hundreds of fires in British Columbia. Neighbors of mine struggle with respiratory problems, the second year in a row. 2019 will inevitably be even worse.

So you can see part of the problem with this lie is that it demeans my genuine suffering, it’s insulting and delusional. It’s time to grow up and recognize that Earth’s whole ecosystem (the global ocean, the northern forests, the amazon…) is now in freefall. Doctors used to think they were doing their patients a favor by gilding the lily, but now they know such practice is contrary to human dignity.

5 Likes

I don’t think “Better late than never” will help much here !

2 Likes

hose who see the big picture

Those who see the big picture know la k of preparing Hildreth for thd cure is Nx H’s been our greatest three since the q800s.

Sorry, I’m not mSribv this reply zpCd.

Biggest threat comes from failure to prepare children for the future. American Indians planned seven generations forward but in the 1800s we adopted a system to purposefully
cause stupidity. Read NY Teacher of the Year John Taylor Gatto’s well researchd history of American Education to see what was done to us and why before continuing to support our American schools as they are. I’ve been actively trying to reverse the trend for 50 years, watching us become more and more politically inept while most peoole remain unconscious about our environment.
This is the natural result of using the science of how children learn with the most difficulty, rather than the known but ignored science of how they learn most easily.
As a result we have lost the critical mass needed to guide the ship of state with intellligence, facts, and compassion.
It could not be turning out well for us.
What can we do?

1 Like

Well…if that is the case case…they are stupid… why?..because the "problems…that will arrive from that …will bring about more problem.s. with NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS…WHAT WILL HAPPEN THEN??

1 Like

A great summary of our situation. I hope Mr. Atcheson has better luck with this message than I have for the last 5 years or so. Most people even on sites like this are unable and unwilling to understand it.

1 Like

“Act Now?” What does that mean? Even if our President woke up normal and agreed to end Fossil Fuel production, Would that undo the Decades of Damage we contributed to Global Warming? I doubt it.

That includes our president who is not on this site.

1 Like

I read that as well. Let the Rich buy all the Holes they want and live underground permanently to escape the Radiation. Their lives will be wonderful … as Moles and Rats.

1 Like

I think it’s too late! Even if the process began Now!