Home | About | Donate

Has "Cover-Up General" William Barr Struck Again?

Has "Cover-Up General" William Barr Struck Again?

Thom Hartmann

Back in 1992, the last time Bill Barr was U.S. attorney general, iconic New York Times writer William Safire referred to him as “Coverup-General Barr” because of his role in burying evidence of then-President George H.W. Bush’s involvement in “Iraqgate” and “Iron-Contra.”

1 Like

In an article about liars, no mention of Mueller’s role in helping Repubs lie us into the War in Iraq?

That’s odd. It seems everywhere you turn these days are more liars.

4 Likes

He was also head of the FBI during its multiple and massive failures leading up to 9/11, during its wholesale roundup and harassment of Muslim communities after 9/11. He was a proponent of increased NSA surveillance of citizens as a result of 9/11.

Mueller is a perfect example of how individuals who faithfully serve ruling-class ends are repeatedly rehabilitated and promoted by both parties even when they lie, cheat, steal and (appear to) fail miserably.

6 Likes

Yeah, funny no mention of that by Liberal Dems when Mueller was their guy aiming his sights at Trump.

Until the Dems clean their own House, nothing will change.

4 Likes

There is no such thing as a “Liberal Dem”
There are Progressive Dems who have long criticized Mueller for his handling of 9/11 and pretty much assumed that the Mueller report would be as inconsequential as the 9/11 COmission Report.
And there are the DLC Corporate Dems who, through the Mueller Report, hoped to make a candidate like Milquetoast Biden look good.

Hope you enjoy the six more years of the Trump Administration. There won’t be much left of America by then other than the thriving exclusive Country Clubs (at least the ones that are not flooded).

2 Likes

To me Liberal Dem=Corporate Dem.

Sorry bystander but I gave up on both parties long ago as they are useless and quite destructive. I don’t look forward to Trump nor those in Congress (almost all) who side with him in all his Imperial exploits. As they did with Obama before and before that Bush.

Much left of America? There won’t be much left of the planet unless this this insanity stops.

9 Likes

Barr helped Reagan escape prosecution for Iran-Contra. He worked for Bush/Cheney who still can not leave the US easily as known war criminals indicted in several nations. Trump received Barr’s pledge to do the same for Trump regardless of who and what Trump may be. Mueller is still an unknown. Trump could easily be working in serious ways as a threat to the US making sure his children go to the intelligence briefings every morning and sending them out to his friends like the Saudis to perhaps sell intelligence for personal profit.

0 Likes

That is why I said that there is no such thing as a “Liberal Dem”
I also long ago gave up on the Democratic Party as well. I did this where here in Maine they stole the primary from Kucinich and gave it to Hillary.
That is when I changed to the Green Party.

The only hope for the Democratic Party is the Progressive Dems such as AOC and Omar, but they are in the distinct minority.

3 Likes

Another rationalization by this guy fits the bill, face it, you along with the Maddows of the world were part of a massive political hoax. Shame on you. Did you ever have Glenn Greenwald, Aaron Mate, or Max Blumenthal to name a few of the people who did good journalism on this story? Did you ever have the late great Bob Parry who was the first to question this Russiagate fraud, NO. You have no credibility.

Since you apparently missed it, here is a reprint of some of the yeoman work Mr. Parry did on the origins of this mess.

5 Likes

Hartman is a faux progressive. He is right on a few things like healthcare but he was a shill for Killary from early on. Pretending to be a Sanders fan but always ending statements with, ‘if Bernie doesn’t win we have to be ready to back Clinton’.

7 Likes

As speechless mentions in the comment below yours, the reversal of long-held views by many team-blue sychophants is disturbing. They suddenly loved the serial-liars brennan, Clapper, and Mueller when they went after Trump, same with the entire National Security apparatus. Trump publicly stated he had little trust in our National security agencies (I have none), and they got nervous and defensive and worried about their special role in fighting the Russian bogeyman. Trump whooped their asses, along with all the d-party blowhards like Schiff, and all the media BS artists like Maddow.

The willingness of the d-party to blow in the wind is particularly sad in this regard:

3 Likes

Not only was this a massive hoax but the consequences are that it exponentially more likely Trump will win the next election. The Democrats will then blame the voters again.

Had the media , those Maddows and Reichs and Krugmans and Winships of the world focused on all of the other problems with Donald Trump , from healthcare to warfare, from poverty to violence , from immigration to wealth inequality and Climate change it my feeling Donald Trump would have lost support.

Instead of focusing on truth they ran with this “Russian Collusion” idiocy and now it too late for any of those in the media that went this course to gain any sort of credibility with the soft Trump supporter.

Now when trying to understand why these pundits and those Democrats would not have attacked Trump on the issues , I can only conclude they on the same page as Donald Trump when it comes to those things.

7 Likes

I agree. I hope they both continue to have the courage and the will to speak out and cause a stir. We, on the Left, so desperately need people in DC to challenge the corrupt status quo daily!!

1 Like

I predict one of two things will happen soon: Mueller’s full report will be leaked or a democratic congressman will subpoena Mueller directly … Back in 1992, the last time Bill Barr was U.S. attorney general, iconic New York Times writer William Safire referred to him as “Coverup-General Barr” because of his role in burying evidence of then-President George H.W. Bush’s involvement in “Iraqgate” and “Iron-Contra.” | General Barr has struck again—this time, in similar fashion, burying Mueller’s report and cherry-picking fragments of sentences from it to justify Trump’s behavior. In his letter, he notes that Robert Mueller “leaves it to the attorney general to decide whether the conduct described in the report constitutes a crime.” | As attorney general, Barr—without showing us even a single complete sentence from the Mueller report—decided there are no crimes here. Just keep moving along. | Barr’s history of doing just this sort of thing to help Republican presidents in legal crises explains why Trump brought him back in to head the Justice Department.

1 Like

Lying seems to be the language of sociopaths.

1 Like

Truth be told, although they all were foolish to peddle the Russiagate narrative, most of the pundits you mention did focus on the full range of Trump’s malpractice. Now Rachel Maddow is a different story.

0 Likes

Indded but in harnessing it to “Russian Collusion” they tried to deliver a fabrication with those truths. This just as bad as Maddow if not worse as it not only diminishes the entire message but it how the masters of propoganda seek to manipulate a population rather than inform it.

When people discover they were being manipulated they can tend to react in a “well the hell with YOU , just for that I am voting Trump” kind of way.

1 Like

To your point, in the run up to the release of Mueller’s report, polling indicated that a slight majority of those surveyed viewed the investigation as a ‘witch hunt.’ That’s a win for Trump any way you slice it.

0 Likes

I remember when Thom Hartmann was a progressive. Now he is merely a shill for Washington Democrats. He is a rabid anti-Trumper, like the rest of the Washington establishment, and he has bought into the anti-Russia hysteria. These are things he had to do to be relevant in today’s Democratic Party.

1 Like