Home | About | Donate

Haspel Won't Say CIA 'Tortured' and Refuses to Say If Torture Is 'Immoral'

Haspel Won't Say CIA 'Tortured' and Refuses to Say If Torture Is 'Immoral'

Jake Johnson, staff writer

After presenting herself as "a typical middle-class American" who was brought up with a strong "moral compass" in her opening remarks before the Senate Intelligence Committee on Wednesday, Gina Haspel—President Donald Trump's pick to head the CIA—would not admit that the agency has ever tortured nor would she say that she believes torture is immoral.

Evil.

What goes on inside this person is something I don’t want to know. She is very clearly concealing who she is. Which does not even make her effective for the agency as such. A direct throwback to the 80’s Reagan era, when there were suddenly endless people coming out the woodwork who had completely blurred personal identities.

Why be surprised?

Yeah, the leadership of the US is broken if they decide to allow Gina “Bloody Gina” the butcher to assume command of the criminal enterprise known as the CIA–she’s acting director now. What disturbs me it that creatures like this can laugh, smile and banter with colleagues while, on the way to the meeting yesterday I saw on TV. How can she even sleep at night? Huh, oh right, she’s a psychopath! That explains everything. I guess Mr Trump wasn’t kidding when he advocated torture during his campaign. The king’s torturer has been chosen. I’m fairly sure she’ll get the top spot.

Only the ‘best’ torturers make it to the top of the agency…

Anybody wanna bet that Manchin, Kaine, Warner, McCaskil, Feinstein and probably 4 or 5 others vote for this bitch? This is the reason that these people that participated in and made up the legal cover for, should have been prosecuted early in the Obama admin.

Edit to add: If this is the “rule of law”, you can have my portion.

We’d expect nothing different from Don and his perfectly legal wrecking crew.

Hey, she could hire the odious and despicable john yoo, the torture-memo author, now astonishingly teaching law at UC Berkeley…he would fit right in with haspel…Yoo argued it might be legal to crush the testicles of a child to get the father to talk…that a president could order that atrocity and no law…no one could stop it! haspel won’t say what she believes or does not…

None of the war criminals were charged under obama and AG holder…two craven failures, IMO.

People like this display a lack of integration in their adult personality. Trump is the same. If for example she would have served as a combat Marine and kept it together, no way would she ever even think she actually has her act together. She does not.

What percentage of Americans know anything about MK Ultra? The Church hearings of the mid 1970s regarding CIA practices? The Iran Contra Affair?

Less than 5 percent, I would wager. The rest either are so brain dead they don’t care anymore or else so ignorant that they scarcely know what CIA stands for - either literally or in past policies.

I’m sure there are even some “progressive” feminists out there who think it is fantastic that a woman is finally getting a chance to lead the intelligence community, someone who in spite of all odds demonstrated that she can out macho the most macho of male torturers.

This country is sick to the core.

This is what Obama meant when he said he wanted to look forward instead of backwards.

So we got it. By not looking backwards and prosecuting the torturers we moved forward to putting them in charge of the CIA.

Thanks Obama.

(Obviously Trump is to blame too, it doesn’t need to be said.)

Maybe he had other things on his mind, like closing all those black sites. Anyway, there is no time like the present. Where is the over whelming opposition to torture?

IF there were were a Congress of people with some integrity and moxie that would stand up to nominees that refuse to answer questions for this or that “reason”, or just because they refuse, they would then be refused the position!: “Sorry, you don’t answer, you don’t get approved”, simple as that - IF…

The relatively recent nominee sparing with Senators over questions and increasing refusal to put anything “on the record” or say what it is they actually stand for, is utter BS! No answer, NO freakin job Gina!

Scahill is my hero, a miniature Chomsky. I would have asked Haspel if she thought water boarding by us encouraged other countries to torture, and whether torture should ever be used if not universally. If she was forthright, I know how the damn hypocrite would answer.

An empty shell as president, a torturer running the secret government, Education run by a privileged amateur, and the EPA pivoted to environmental destruction for pay, I’d say America is actually sporting a government that is representative of the American government.

Yes, and Yes, obviously.

When are we going to stop pretending that the Democratic Party was against the Iraq War?

BILL CLINTON INTERVIEW JUST BEFORE IRAQ WAR

... we had intelligence and photographs that seem to prove that Iraq was almost taking these chemical stocks at least out of the back door while the inspectors were coming to the front door... - Bill Clinton

Albright to begin Iraq talks with U.S. allies

"Saddam's goal... is to achieve the lifting of U.N. sanctions while retaining and enhancing Iraq's weapons of mass destruction programs." - Madeleine Albright

Liberal Myths: Would Al Gore Have Invaded Iraq?

Iraq does pose a serious threat to the stability of the Persian Gulf and we should organize an international coalition to eliminate his access to weapons of mass destruction. - Al Gore

Yes, Clinton used the Bush administration line

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al-Qaida members, though there is apparently no evidence of his involvement in the terrible events of Sept. 11, 2001." - Hillary Clinton

Remarks of Senator John Kerry on Iraq

Why is Saddam Hussein attempting to develop nuclear weapons when most nations don't even try and responsible nations that have them attempt to limit their potential for disaster? Why does Saddam Hussein threaten and provoke? Why does he develop missiles that exceed allowable limits? Why did Saddam Hussein lie and deceive the inspection team previously? Why did Saddam Hussein not account for all the weapons of mass destruction which UNSCOM (U.N. Special Commission) identified? Why is he seeking to develop unmanned airborne vehicles for delivery of biological agents? - John Kerry

So, did you have a point to make?

Just heard Manchin support pure evil in the name of getting re-elected. I hope he loses and goes to hell. At least the sycophant that replaces him will easily be identified. Where do Americans come up with these people?