Home | About | Donate

'Hate Crime': Video Shows Truck Plowing Into Indigenous Rights Rally

'Hate Crime': Video Shows Truck Plowing Into Indigenous Rights Rally

Nika Knight, staff writer

A peaceful demonstration in Reno, Nevada, for Indigenous Peoples Day and against the Dakota Access Pipeline was plowed down by an 18-year-old male driver in a pickup truck Monday.

Yet the driver has neither been arrested nor charged for what one injured protester described as "attempted vehicular homicide" and "a hate crime."

How long will it take to arrest this SOB - this Dylann Roof - if at all. If he were black, he would be laying dead on a street in Reno, a victim of instant justice. This is a very sick country you USAns live in. I don't live there. I'm an expat. I grew quite sick of it all. The people here (in Europe) can barely comprehend what's going on there with a vile clown on the one side and a heartless, egocentric, blood sucker on the other vying for the supreme office of that pathetic federation.

John Law will probably rule that this jerk was within his rights as the demonstrators were blocking a public right-of-way, and preventing him from his appointment with a one-armed bandit. Sick, but I'm guessing that is how it will shake out. There is more than one way to limit our constitutional right of freedom of speech, and right of assembly. Probably also will be allowed to sue the one hospitalized for damage to his four-wheeled phallus.

edit: I sincerely hope I am wrong.

Coward--you took all the benefits that my generation won from the elites, but then couldn't stay to fight when those benefits were under attack. You Yuppies are the laziest most entitled bunch of pissants, and the USwent to hell during your era, not mine. You make me wanna puke.

How bad does it have to get for the rest of us, I wonder, before we do what's right and gather with our Indigenous neighbors in these peaceful protests? A million people converging upon North Dakota at one time to pray at pipeline construction sites with the Standing Rock Sioux Water Protectors would have to force some change. I wonder if an organization like 350.org could/will use their network to make it happen? I can't offer much as one person, but would jump to get there if significant momentum were building.

Attempted murder at the very least.

A very good idea.

"Police chief Jason Soto said the driver was cooperating with police,": This may be a clue this dude is white. Maybe he thinks they will sympathize with him. His youth may mean other things such as the anger so many of our youths-yes, our youth and we have failed them-- feel toward society--no decent employment, unaffordable education, a planet dying before our eyes which makes their future doubtful. Targeting the indigenous, a most vulnerable group, may also mean he is venting the fact that they are still among us reminding us all of the crimes committed against them. Makes it difficult to forget them and pretend this is a white man's country. All this convinces me we need to rapidly reinvent this nation into one of equality and one not predicated on exploitation of anyone or anything such as fossil fuels.

Just saw the video on the Guardian site and he looks white.

If a Muslim arrested for the same thing they would immediately tie it to terrorism AND publish his name for all to see.

There would be claims of suspected ties to Islamists .

Now if they know the suspect why is his name not released?

In my experience it generally because the person in question the son or relative of people in high places. "He is cooperating with Police" generally signals "he really is a nice kid and we want his name out of the paper"

I am sure they will buy him a coffee and doughnuts.

Rickie--I love your response, it reveals a lot about you. Jesse is in honor of my dad. He never ran from a fight. And just because you read on the road (who didn't?) doesn't mean you aren't a coward. You did run from a fight, one of the most important in decades. If you want a different country, why not join the Standing Rock Tribe in the fight against the far old sheriffs who seem to have a temperament like yours. You could speak to the Bully Lawmen in their own terms.

Is it Domestic Terrorism Yet?

Because, if it Isn't, if Not Now, When?

Gosh. It's hard to know how we are going to forge another kind of society, with the amount of lateral violence those of us still courageous enough to be fighting, encounter on a daily basis.....and not from the right wing most often either. Or pick up trucks.

Stop it already with the sweeping generalizations and stop assuming. As a Canadian, I share Rick's sympathy for people living in America.........and thank my stars on a daily basis that I didn't marry any of those American men I dated while studying in Massachusetts so many years ago. I love your country...but can't stand the scene....as our poet Lenard Cohen puts it.

And that 18 year old, in the pickup truck??? God knows what kind of an education, or home life he's been subjected to........but one thing is for sure. The folks supporting Trump didn't spring up overnight like mushrooms. Bigotry, hatred, and violence is almost more indigenous than American indigenous people. Ir's your national Achilles heel.

You're contributing to it, in this post.

Well, he didn't have a broken tail light

And he wasn't black

maryinga

October 12
Gosh. It's hard to know how we are going to forge another kind of society, with the amount of lateral violence those of us still courageous enough to be fighting, encounter on a daily basis.....and not from the right wing most often either. Or pick up trucks.

Stop it already with the sweeping generalizations and stop assuming. As a Canadian, I share Rick's sympathy for people living in America.........and thank my stars on a daily basis that I didn't marry any of those American men I dated while studying in Massachusetts so many years ago. I love your country...but can't stand the scene....as our poet Lenard Cohen puts it.

And that 18 year old, in the pickup truck??? God knows what kind of an education, or home life he's been subjected to........but one thing is for sure. The folks supporting Trump didn't spring up overnight like mushrooms. Bigotry, hatred, and violence is almost more indigenous than American indigenous people. Ir's your national Achilles heel.

You're contributing to it, in this post.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

Jessejean

October 12
Coward--you took all the benefits that my generation won from the elites, but then couldn't stay to fight when those benefits were under attack. You Yuppies are the laziest most entitled bunch of pissants, and the USwent to hell during your era, not mine. You make me wanna puke.
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Mary--if you can't stand the heat, move to Canadia.

Your reply to the ex-pat is judgmental and intolerant. You have no idea what he lived, contributed, suffered, or benefitted here nor any idea what all the considerations were for moving to Europe. For all we know, he had family in another country. He's not a coward just as all the other immigrants, past and present, are not cowards---they're seeking better lives.

So, running over pedestrians isn't a crime? And all this time I thought pedestrians always have the right of way. So, who do I want to run over now that I know I can get away with it? Is this really the precedent that the legal system truly wants to establish? If so, I sure will run over someone given the chance. I'd be happy to force them into reconsidering their decision to set such a precedent. I hope Common Dreams follows up on this case. I want to see that little white boy lose his driver's license and spend time in jail. Running over people while drunk is one thing. Running over people while perfectly sober really deserves harsher punishment.

Toni--We're bombing and pillaging the immigrant's countries, that's why they're coming here. Nobody bombed Mr. On The Road, as he describes himself. And your fertile imagination does not explain his visceral contempt for "hillbillies". But a privileged whiney background does. Ye shall know them by their fruit.

:rolling_eyes:. Have a good day, JJ.

Right back atcha. :v: