Home | About | Donate

Hating the Hatred

Hating the Hatred

Thousands of "pro-family" - but evidently only certain kinds of family - Mexicans came out this weekend to protest against a move by President Enrique Peña Nieto to legalize same-sex marriage throughout the largely Catholic country. They were met by hundreds of marriage equality supporters, and, in Celaya, Guanajuato, one resolute 12-year-old boy trying to block them in the name of his gay uncle - a valorous act that gives us hope.

What does Pope Francis have to say about all this? The Catholic Church has brainwashed people for years especially in Developing Nations. So many people there are homophobic and believe birth control causes cancer.

The kid is wise to remain anonymous. The tank guy is still in prison.

The boy must remain anonymous because if his name was known, some of those 'good' catholics might kill his uncle to assert their authoritarian, primitive beliefs.
Normalized deviance is almost everywhere in corrupted politics.

Its called "taxation without representation." You want to take the tax dollars of a certain class of citizens to spend as you wish without representing their interests, no matter who they vote for. The Declaration of Independence declares all citizens to be endowed with certain "inalienable rights" (can't be taken away) including life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. It doesn't say, "except for queers"... nor are there any exceptions for other minority groups, whatever your opinion as to their worthiness. If being recognized as the law-abiding, tax-paying citizens they are with a full and EQUAL say in this thing of ours is an "agenda" then I would submit every group of citizens has the same agenda. Again, the façade of the Supreme Court says, "Equal Justice Under Law' and does not say "except for fags."

Your contention marriage is meant strictly for procreators would mean FDR and Eleanor Roosevelt were not really married. They had no children and when Eleanor found out Frank was having an affair she made him agree to never require her to have sex with him again as a condition of not divorcing him. When my wife and I got married I had already had a vasectomy. Yet we are legally married in the eyes of the state and have been for several decades. Your contention is ridiculous as examples to the contrary are legion. Besides, the sexual practices of many married hetero couples are quite bizarre and include everything gay people do and more, also without procreation in mind. Ever heard of coprophagia?

Finally, a civil union is in no way close to a marriage contract. The citizens involved are not afforded the same rights as a married couple. My gay sister and her partner had a civil union and could not automatically inherit their common property should something unforeseen result in the death of one or the other. Should one be incapacitated the other had no rights to see to the administration of the other's property or debts. Should one be unconscious in the hospital the other did not have the right to visit that person or make decisions concerning her healthcare. This is the tip of the iceberg of differences between marriage and a civil union. They have been together over 20 years and finally, thanks to the recognition of same-sex marriage, all that is a thing of the past. And its about damn time.

I would contend you don't know any gay people (or think you don't). By "know", I mean actual close interaction and not just somebody you see in the elevator at work. If you did, I think you'd find the only "agenda" these people have is to keep people like you from crapping on their lives with impunity...to stop being regularly assaulted by the "moral" majority. There is no big meeting hall where they get together to plot against you and try to make your kids gay. You have accepted the diatribe of self-interested people who stand to gain from depriving other citizens of rights they shouldn't have to fight for. This is one facet of the continual movement by authoritarian, right-wing people and interest groups to deprive as many people of their rights as possible for their own agenda. Sorry to see it was so easy for them to hood-wink you.

(If this sounds confusing, it is because the post it was meant to answer has been removed.)