Home | About | Donate

Head of Tax Day, John Oliver Details 'Long and Infuriatingly Proud History' of Corporate Tax-Dodging

Head of Tax Day, John Oliver Details 'Long and Infuriatingly Proud History' of Corporate Tax-Dodging

Jon Queally, staff writer

Comedian John Oliver pulled no punches (well, he pulled a few) during Sunday night's episode of "Last Week Tonight," especially in the feature segment in which he eviscerated the U.S. tax system by revealing just how endlessly favorable it is to corporations and the wealthy at the expense of everybody else.

Had Henry Ford desired to squeeze so much out of his workers, his company’s fate would have been what? This question powers up today to the corporate oligarchy’s constantly short-sighted quest to maximize stock prices. Sooner or later, there will be no market to support them. Sure the Fed can always print money, but as the old adage goes, in the end they will figure out they can’t eat money. Mondragon please set us free.

Although Dubya serially accused Gore of advocating for “fuzzy math”, Dubya and his successors took fuzzy math to new heights with respect to policy, regulations and taxation.

Anyone ignorant enough to have ever swallowed the rhetoric of the GOP tax plan was probably hoping the tooth fairy was going to make up the difference.

I hope its sooner rather than later. We make and buy too much stuff already.

" with a special nod to Apple and Google"

I wonder how that sat with his ultra-image-conscious, typically college student (i.e. adolescent) audience, whose concern for current events is limited to what counts as juicy, humorous gossip, and who is little more than a consumer and identifier of what brands are cool and hip, with a list headed by Apple and Google.

Voters for the Duopoly : This is what your votes bring.