Home | About | Donate

Healing Humanity's Grief In The Face Of Climate Change

Healing Humanity's Grief In The Face Of Climate Change

David Suzuki

The tragedy we’re witnessing in so many places around the world is heartbreaking. Responses on the ground and in the media to events in Paris, Beirut, Syria, and elsewhere have ranged from inspiring to chilling. Too often, people express fear and distress as anger, suspicion, and scapegoating.

You'd think that someone could adapt a snow mobile to float like a jet ski?

There is only sadness for man and animals with climate change.

Nothing will be the same for any of us. The arctic peoples are feeling it first.

Edited original post added

I'm glad to see Suzuki speak to the grief that I know I have been feeling and I sense is out there as denial and confusion.

I've admired him for his work and now for his candor. As we lose more and more of the beauty and diversity, there will be more and more of the mourning. For all of us.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

The connection between climate change, a deteriorating environment and war, famine, immigration, drought, poverty and more is finally reaching people who never gave it a thought, thanks to luminaries like Bernie Sanders and David Suzuki. We can only hope it will have positive effects before a disastrous tipping point is reached.

such a mensch. Thank you David. unless we come together as a community, the earth and we on it will not survive.

yes! suzuki say it well. what a beautiful spirit! i've heard it said that, "misery loves company," but depression makes us feel alone and out of step~even in a crowd. sadness is a natural response when we see what's happening all around us and feel helpless to change or fix the world. somehow we must learn to smile and remember, "life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

Without humanity

There will be little left of humanity

Most of all, we need to be real.

follow this link for good news on climate.
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi6h7LdxM3JAhWDupQKHR66BJwQFggbMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcecaust.com.au%2Fpubs%2Fpdfs%2Fewet_gw.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHBLxZEWEPbFi3CQAI8hsa_TlxUNw&bvm=bv.109332125,d.dGo

Instead of knee-jerk reactions that so often accompany fear and emotional pain, what if we summoned the courage to experience our sadness, disorientation, and grief in all its fullness? More importantly, what if we did this together?

As much as I like this sentiment, it seems to me to come from someone who has never been hungry, worried about homelessness or feared for livlihood and life amid other people deprived of the same things. Sometimes people do work together. Often they do not. Knee jerk is programmed into the deep brain. It comes in handy and is essential for survival. It can also be a curse.

I was surprised when I read the title of this work, knowing David Suzuki's work. I would have expected it to say something along the lines of 'Using Humanity's Grief to Unite and Heal the Climate.' The article was much closer to this idea than the title or perhaps it's a headline which was likely written by someone other than David.
The question still remains how to get there from here as more and more people are isolated by the internet and social media even as they think they are uniting. Just what would we all do to connect with one another, if they were to pull the plug in one or more of the various ways they keep pushing on us?

Erm, there's no way anyone who lives up there would use a jet ski in the arctic ocean. Water splashes when you use a jetski, you'd get wet. Then the water on your clothes would freeze, and you'd die of hypothermia before you could get to shelter.

It's not as cold, but it's still cold enough to kill you if you're not careful.

For those who are curious, Thoma Swadams has posted a link to climate denial propaganda.

Quelle surprise, eh?

I hope the oil company paid you thirty pieces of silver for that message.

I understand that, gee thanks. I wrote suggesting that a snowmobile might be made so that it could float LIKE does a jet ski. Not for it to become a jet ski. This is so that if when traveling over thin ice and the machine breaks through, it could skim across the patch of water rather than sink. The only difference is to have the regular snow mobile be made to 'sit' within a waterproof hull shape. The only difference is that the machine floats.

The problem is that up north snow mobiles travel over river and streams that have frozen over as well as open water. With the warmer weather, the risks of breaking through the ice over rivers increases.

What you're really talking about is a mix between a boat and a jet ski, I'm sure something could be worked out along those lines. But if I was going to use an open boat, then I'd just use a boat.

Snow mobiles can get across a bit of open water, but yah. Breakthrus are why I've never wanted to try those things. The other reason involves how hard it is to see the wires that are between fences, which might be at neck height. :frowning:

I am not thinking of jet skis at all other than to compare them in weight and size to a snowmobile. I envisioned a normal snowmobile but constructed so that the steering ski (s) and the tracks extend through a waterproof shell (plastic or fiberglass) that's all. I actually am thinking of a converter kit with panels that will allow current snowmobiles to be able to float.

Wire fences are not much of a problem up in those latitudes.

The real 'good news' is that what fixes the environment, fixes poverty-homelessness-joblessness, etc. (I'm thinking about small farming, co-ops, syndicates) and what fixes warming expands research into renewables.
So we could look at these as more like opportunities to change and adapt in a life saving way. We can be prodded into survival by this.

"Grief" is not a helpful response to the climate disaster. I'd suggest "tightly focused rage" instead.